Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Different Kind of Drug Problem

Featured Replies

I figured that some of you may like this, considering all of the threads we've had on societal issues and parenting lately.

 

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a met amphetamine lab had been found in an old farm house in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ”Why didn’t we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?”

 

I replied: ”But I did have a drug problem when I wuz a kid growing up on the farm.” I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for

weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

 

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher. Or if I didn’t put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me. I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four letter word. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom’s garden and flower beds and cockleburs

out of dad’s fields.

 

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline or chop some fire wood. And if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the wood shed.

 

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin, and if today’s children had this kind of drug problem, America might be a better place today.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent thread!

Does anyone seriously believe that Americans from early years didn't have a real drug problem? Drugs have probably been used quite often throughout our country's entire history.

Does anyone seriously believe that Americans from early years didn't have a real drug problem? Drugs have probably been used quite often throughout our country's entire history.

 

Exactly. It's just another oversimplified glorification of the idyllic "good 'ol days" -- a time when (coincidentally?) blacks and women, like the children of the initial post, "knew their place."

Exactly. It's just another oversimplified glorification of the idyllic "good 'ol days" -- a time when (coincidentally?) blacks and women, like the children of the initial post, "knew their place."
:thumb: :thumb:
Does anyone seriously believe that Americans from early years didn't have a real drug problem? Drugs have probably been used quite often throughout our country's entire history.

 

Exactly. It's just another oversimplified glorification of the idyllic "good 'ol days" -- a time when (coincidentally?) blacks and women, like the children of the initial post, "knew their place."

 

:thumb: :thumb:

 

 

 

 

Do you guys honestly think that the drug problem from "the good old days" is anywhere close to the epidemic it is today?

Do you guys honestly think that the drug problem from "the good old days" is anywhere close to the epidemic it is today?
I think that no matter what people will always find a drug to abuse and the flavor of the month will become the "drug problem" of it's day.
Do you guys honestly think that the drug problem from "the good old days" is anywhere close to the epidemic it is today?

 

Like in, say, the 60s and 70s???

I figured that some of you may like this, considering all of the threads we've had on societal issues and parenting lately.

 

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a met amphetamine lab had been found in an old farm house in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ”Why didn’t we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?”

 

I replied: ”But I did have a drug problem when I wuz a kid growing up on the farm.” I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for

weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

 

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher. Or if I didn’t put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me. I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four letter word. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom’s garden and flower beds and cockleburs

out of dad’s fields.

 

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline or chop some fire wood. And if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the wood shed.

 

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin, and if today’s children had this kind of drug problem, America might be a better place today.

:clap:

Like in, say, the 60s and 70s???

 

 

Still doesn't touch today IMO. Come spend a couple of weeks with me at the hospital. The drug problem in Eastern Ky, Southern Ohio, and West Virginia is the worst in the nation.

The Chinese smoke opium constantly back in the day if I remember correctly. WAAAAY back in the day.

Still doesn't touch today IMO. Come spend a couple of weeks with me at the hospital. The drug problem in Eastern Ky, Southern Ohio, and West Virginia is the worst in the nation.

 

How much time did you spend working in a hospital in the 60s and 70s???

How much time did you spend working in a hospital in the 60s and 70s???

 

 

You know the answer to that, but I've obviously seen the research and studies done on the huge drug problem facing the areas I just mentioned. The 60's and 70's you had your groupies and peace lovers doing the LSD and the acid. And yes while it was still a drug problem, I think it pales in comparison to the prescription drug problem we see today. I can't speak for the rest of the country, I just know how bad it is right here where I live. I could be wrong, but I don't think you had the crime rate in the 60's and 70's that you have today, where people are stealing, burglarizing, whatever they can do to get money to support their habits. Here is a link to one story, among several that tells about the drug problem my area is facing.

 

http://irontontribune.com/news/2009/apr/09/pill-mills-florida-county-has-become-colombia-phar/

Like in, say, the 60s and 70s???

 

You were not even born then, what would you know?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.