John Madden Retiring From Broadcasting

I'm going to miss his great insight...

"Now, the object of the game is to score the most points. The team with the most points when the clock hits 0:00 in the 4th quarter is going to win."

"Here's a guy who when he puts his contacts in, he can see better."

"To get more yards, it's best to move the ball from the line of scrimmage down the field."

"Usually the team with the most points wins the game!"

"Here's a guy who when he runs, he moves faster."

“Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field.”

"When you have great players, playing great, well that's great football!"

"They're goin after him like uh....uh.....sugar is on him or somethin"

"From the waist down, Earl Campbell has the biggest legs I have ever seen on a running back."

"That was a dumb play. Dumb play. You know that was a dumb play. I mean that was a dumb play. I've seen dumb plays, but that was a dumb play."

"You can only make one play at a time."

"Anytime you have a game, you have to be ready to play."

"When you lose your best cornerback and your punt returner, I'd say that's a double loss."

"First down is a good down."

"You never want to go backwards in the endzone."

I'm sorry but I can't miss that.

I like Collinsworth better than Madden. However, I think Collinsworth needs a partner that will keep him in check like Phil Simms does on Inside the NFL. In other words, I don't like to see Collinsworth get "too cute" when analyzing. He is ultra talented and should run his commentary straight down the middle because he excels there.
Collinsworth is decent but Madden's forgot more about football than Chris will ever know...

I won't miss him one bit. Like Dickie V, his act wore thin on me about a decade ago. Great for his time, and a good ambassador for the game, but his time has long passed.

:thumb:

Both were colorful for there enthusiasm and humor but neither added any useful information to watching the game. Im not quite sure Madden was even trying to be funny.

I like Collinsworth better than Madden. However, I think Collinsworth needs a partner that will keep him in check like Phil Simms does on Inside the NFL. In other words, I don't like to see Collinsworth get "too cute" when analyzing. He is ultra talented and should run his commentary straight down the middle because he excels there.

Though I sometimes disagree with Collinsworth's matchup predictions, I must admit he brings out insightful points that sometimes changes my mind. He definitely adds to the experience, and I look forward to seeing him in the booth in key games.

Though I sometimes disagree with Collinsworth's matchup predictions, I must admit he brings out insightful points that sometimes changes my mind. He definitely adds to the experience, and I look forward to seeing him in the booth in key games.

I agree Collinsworth is insightful and adds to the experience.

Collinsworth is decent but Madden's forgot more about football than Chris will ever know...

Madden's had a hard time showing it for a long time now. Watching a game with Madden in the booth is like watching a Vin Diesel or Jason Statham flick. It's all about the "BOOM!"

While I think he was such a piece of Americana Football, I prefer to remember him even more as a great coach.

He only lost something like 32 games in 10 years and his Raider teams were always tough, feared (and yes, very dirty).

He knew when to step away from coaching while still near the top of his game, and now he's done all he wants to do from the booth. Say what we will, either by accident or design; he was a marketing genius for himself. :thumb:

I'm sure Madden knows a great deal about football, but I will not miss him doing commentary. It just drove me nuts. Knowing a lot about something and relaying it, is two different things, and I just couldn't get used to him. He drove me nuts. I don't know if anyone else has used the phrase, but I began calling them "Maddenisms", and many of them were outlined above. But, my favorites are:

"First down is a not just a first down, but a whole new set of downs", and "Joe Theisman broke the Tibia of his lower leg".

I don't hate the guy, but I just didn't like him during color commentary.