Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top Five Coaches in the 16 Region.

Featured Replies

On a more serious note.

 

Webb has impressed me with the development of his guards and getting young players to step up.

  • Replies 104
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, the top 5 coaches then. Just a point of interest, for me.

 

In no particular order.......

 

Zornes -- Boyd Co.

Breeden -- Ashland

Hop Brown -- West Carter ( girls or not he could coach )

Baker Sr. -- East Carter

Tim Moore -- Rowan Co. ( late 80's )

 

I base this purely on x's and o's and the ability to motivate youth, not number of wins or how many years they spent on the bench.

 

IF it were based on number of wins or how many years they spent on the bench then unfortuneatly Marv would have to be included.

 

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would rank them totally different and I respect that.:thumb:

I think this year Jeremy Webb is doing the best job in the 16th region. I would have thought that they would struggle to win 10 this year but Jeremy is really finding himself.

 

2.John Bush

3.Brandon Baker

4.Cooksey

5. Hicks

 

I dont know how anyone can say Ricky Mays is a good coach. The man has arguably one of the best teams in the state and they have gelled well over the past 4 years. And the bald fella on EC's staff seems to do most of the coaching during Varsity games. It's just my opinion, I've watched Elliott probably 5 or 6 times this year and I have yet to see him get up from his chair.

The Wizard and Matthew Perry.

wizard-flames.jpg

One name that keeps getting mentioned that I don't understand is Hicks. I don't think he ever got Greenup out of the district.

 

I think Ram makes some good points about the difference between longevity and current accomplishmnets. Based on this year alone I would go:

 

Webb

Bush

Perry

Mayes

Cooksey

Menifee's coach. Sorry forgot his name and I'm too lazy to go back through the thread and look it up.

 

Webb, Bush, and Perry are getting good to great results from teams that most people didn't have in the upper part of the region.

 

Mayes, like it or not, is smart enough to let his horses run.

 

Cooksey has overcome the loss of Hall and has Fairview in the thick of things.

 

Overall body of work I would go:

 

Cooksey

Hampton

Perry

 

 

Funny nobody has mentioned Biggs. I thought he was supposed to be the savior of Ashland basketball.

No disrespect to Coach Mays, but that group of young men would make spindoc look like John Wooden. I believe most people look at Coach May's whole career rather than the past 3 or 4 years.

Excellent point...look at the overall body of work for Mayes.

If only A-train/Jtrusty were still available on BGP, we'd have a host of pictures of our 16th region coaches...he polished up some of Coach Perry at Morgan Co. and they are classic images. I'm laughing just thinking about it...

 

Also, one of the best threads of all time on BGP was "what type of house do coaches live in" in the 16th region...I doubt anyone can remember that thread but I wish we could dig it up, some great photo shop's conducted...I think FASTBREAK was in on a few of them...

I agree. I am not a big fan of some of his antics, but the man can coach the ballers!

Hicks also fell into some nice talent that's at Bath right now. To his credit though he has gotten them to perform.

  • Author
The 16th region is blessed with a number of good coaches some old some new. One name that hasn't been mentioned is Thacker at Rowan. He is both old and new.

Yea does pretty good, and also good at pickin and singin bluegrass.:cool:

As a lifetime 10th regioner, I thought Buddy Biggs was a good hire at Ashland when he left Pendleton Co. a few years ago. Why has he fallen from grace among those "in the know" in the 16th?

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Addendum to my previous post about Buddy Biggs.

 

Has he forgotten how to coach? doubtful

 

Has he lost the passion for the game that he had three or four years ago? even more doubtful

 

Is the talent pool at Ashland not what everyone thinks that it is? hmmmm.

 

Give me an evaluation of the whole scenario with Coach Biggs at Ashland.

This is just one man's opinion. I think its a combination of things.

 

Talent pool

coaching "style"

Politics surrounding Ashland Basketball. There are a lot of "factors" surrounding the program that do more harm than good.

 

I think Coach Biggs is a very good coach with a great understanding of the game. A lot of "factors" have hindered him from applying his coaching skills to the fullest. Even with that said he IS a VERY GOOD coach.

 

As I said that's just my opinion. Ashland has a great history but a lot of times people forget it's not the sixties anymore when Ashland was a state powerhouse. As the Ashland area has grown outward so have the schooling options for young students. This has spread out the talent throughout the area surrounding Ashland.

Addendum to my previous post about Buddy Biggs.

 

Has he forgotten how to coach? doubtful

 

Has he lost the passion for the game that he had three or four years ago? even more doubtful

 

Is the talent pool at Ashland not what everyone thinks that it is? hmmmm.

 

Give me an evaluation of the whole scenario with Coach Biggs at Ashland.

 

Basically his entire senior class has quit him. Why? :idunno:

Hampton

Kidwell

Baker

Perry

Floyd

I am not from Bath Co so I have not seen them play. I am curious what has propelled Bath's improvement in the last 2 years. I'm aware they hired Hicks but having observed him at other locations , has he made that much difference? Did Bath have a run of talent coming up or did kids move in ? Just curious form someone who watches the program.. I assume it might be a combination of good coaching and talent upgrade.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.