Top Five Coaches in the 16 Region.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some would argue that if you brought Roy Williams into the 16th and he he hadn't been here long enough to be considered.

Why is this so? I think it is funny to read how Coaches Kidwell and especially Bush are being discredited for lack of bench time at the respective jobs. I can understand that people look at Russell's record and wonder why some of us include Kidwell in the top coaching shelf, but how could anyone argue against John Bush? I excluded him in my post out of forgetfullness, I would consider him for Coach of the Year, to date. So, to all you Rose Hill fans, I am sorry I forgot your Coach earlier.

I do not think that any player should walk away in the middle of a season for any reason and would be very disappointed if my grandchildren would ever quit anything. I believe it sends the wrong message. However, when this has happened over and over in the Ashland program in the last 2 years one can only wonder WHY? All the kids you mention are good kids from solid families...doesn't make sense. What I do see is Coach Biggs constantly yelling and belittling players in front of crowds. I realize there is a time to be a tough coach but I see very little encouragement of players on that coaching staff as a whole. I see the end of JV games and there is upcoming talent (both height, speed and strong defense from a couple) but they are being snubbed on varsity. I would think if Biggs was trying to build a program he would at least attempt to play more than 7-8 players in close games. I don't understand his coaching strategies. I think he is alll about the WIN today and forgetting to encourage and develop the kids who come out everyday to give their all in practice. This is an opinion shared by everyone who sat around me last night at the Ashland/BC game. His strategies are just not working.

So quitting is the better option rather than busting his butt and working harder to get back out on the court? That's a great attitude for kids to adapt. I feel sorry for kids who decide to quit. They'll go thru life never holding down a job for very long because they'll quit whenever somebody they don't feel deserves it get's the promotion over them. :rolleyes:

I do not think that any player should walk away in the middle of a season for any reason and would be very disappointed if my grandchildren would ever quit anything. I believe it sends the wrong message. However, when this has happened over and over in the Ashland program in the last 2 years one can only wonder WHY? All the kids you mention are good kids from solid families...doesn't make sense. What I do see is Coach Biggs constantly yelling and belittling players in front of crowds. I realize there is a time to be a tough coach but I see very little encouragement of players on that coaching staff as a whole. I see the end of JV games and there is upcoming talent (both height, speed and strong defense from a couple) but they are being snubbed on varsity. I would think if Biggs was trying to build a program he would at least attempt to play more than 7-8 players in close games. I don't understand his coaching strategies. I think he is alll about the WIN today and forgetting to encourage and develop the kids who come out everyday to give their all in practice. This is an opinion shared by everyone who sat around me last night at the Ashland/BC game. His strategies are just not working.

So quitting is the better option rather than busting his butt and working harder to get back out on the court? That's a great attitude for kids to adapt. I feel sorry for kids who decide to quit. They'll go thru life never holding down a job for very long because they'll quit whenever somebody they don't feel deserves it get's the promotion over them. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Not true! I quit my senior year and have held a job nearly ever since I graduated and have raised three kids....2 almost through high school and one ready to enter. Bought my own home in 91 and recently got me another piece of property(200 acres for the kids to have when I am gone if time lasts that long). You are what you want to be. Some times a situation is not best for someone and that has to be their own decision. Did it effect my ability to be successful in life...NO! Would I reccomend it ...NO, but it does not mean you can't or won't hold a job and live a normal life!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

Okay, I have to ask, were your parents upset about your playing time?

If you are only joking then do not answer the question. If you are serious, let me break it down for ya....Do you really think I would be taking up for him if me or my parents were upset about my playing time??????????

Not true! I quit my senior year and have held a job nearly ever since I graduated and have raised three kids....2 almost through high school and one ready to enter. Bought my own home in 91 and recently got me another piece of property(200 acres for the kids to have when I am gone if time lasts that long). You are what you want to be. Some times a situation is not best for someone and that has to be their own decision. Did it effect my ability to be successful in life...NO! Would I reccomend it ...NO, but it does not mean you can't or won't hold a job and live a normal life!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

You are a great success story! You are correct that players need to do what is in their own best interest and if situations aren't working with a coach or other teammates then an exit may be in a kids favor overall. I doubt seriously that the most current young man, Bowling, will be a quitter in life. He was easily one of the hardest workers on the Ashland team. I saw him constantly working on basketball at the Y long after practices were over. When called into the game he was one of the few who sprinted onto the court with enthusiasm, the same when coming out of a game. I think it comes down to the fact that some coaches lack the ability to communicate with their players on a human level. Yes, players should ALWAYS respect their coaches, but coaches need to remember that players ALSO deserve respect and encouragement. Just my opinion....

You are a great success story! You are correct that players need to do what is in their own best interest and if situations aren't working with a coach or other teammates then an exit may be in a kids favor overall. I doubt seriously that the most current young man, Bowling, will be a quitter in life. He was easily one of the hardest workers on the Ashland team. I saw him constantly working on basketball at the Y long after practices were over. When called into the game he was one of the few who sprinted onto the court with enthusiasm, the same when coming out of a game. I think it comes down to the fact that some coaches lack the ability to communicate with their players on a human level. Yes, players should ALWAYS respect their coaches, but coaches need to remember that players ALSO deserve respect and encouragement. Just my opinion....

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I don't consider myself a success story, but I was just making a point that even though I quit in HS B-ball, I was/am not a quitter in life! Other than the first sentence, your post is probably.."nail on the head"!! :thumb:

Longevity doesn't always equal success.

It has for the past two years for Mays.

He must be doing something right to stay at a small school this long and finally build a team like this one. And he's had some other good teams and players over the years. I remember a guy named Rocky something several years ago. He could bring it.

If you are only joking then do not answer the question. If you are serious, let me break it down for ya....Do you really think I would be taking up for him if me or my parents were upset about my playing time??????????

Nice comeback Dale.

It has for the past two years for Mays.

He must be doing something right to stay at a small school this long and finally build a team like this one. And he's had some other good teams and players over the years. I remember a guy named Rocky something several years ago. He could bring it.

In all fairness, I like Coach Mays and I think he is a well respected coach in the region. That being said, I also think all of the adults on the Elliott bench could sit in the stands and cheer and the team would be successfull. This is just a special group of players.

• 2 weeks later...
What about Coach Cooksey at Fairview?

Thinks for finding this thread PureFan, take a look at post 32 and 36(for all those fans that think Raceland fans don't give credit to Fairview), and all the post before. Interesting stuff this time of year.