Top Five Coaches in the 16 Region.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always find it comical when someone starts these threads asking, "who is the best coach to walk the earth" or what ever, and people name first year coaches. That is like naming the MLB All-Stars after the first game of the year. Or picking the MVP of a team after the first practice.

If someone thinks a first year coach is a great coach, that is fine, and he may be, but how can you say that he is one of the top coaches in the region? I don't get it.

Cooksey would have to be at the top, because he has done more with less for a long time. He has proven that he can truly coach basketball.

I always find it comical when someone starts these threads asking, "who is the best coach to walk the earth" or what ever, and people name first year coaches. That is like naming the MLB All-Stars after the first game of the year. Or picking the MVP of a team after the first practice.

If someone thinks a first year coach is a great coach, that is fine, and he may be, but how can you say that he is one of the top coaches in the region? I don't get it.

Cooksey would have to be at the top, because he has done more with less for a long time. He has proven that he can truly coach basketball.

Mr. Ram being on the varsity bench for your first year doesn't mean your a "first" year coach. Please do your homework and look into a coach's whole resume, then give an opinion. The thread gave NO stipulation on what the rules were for rating these coaches. A coach is a coach is a coach.

On that note I would have to agree with you and say Cooksey is an excellent coach and he was mistakenly overlooked in my top five. Please forgive me.

:thumb:

Well he spanked that little ole team from Raceland, that you keep preaching is improving each time out, and that their coach is doing a great job, so Bush must be doing something right. He has taken a team that lost 4 starters, including two of the top rated players in the state, and has them playing the best ball in the region outside Elliott County. Who cares if it's his first year, or his 50th year. The man is proving that he can coach.

Mr. Ram being on the varsity bench for your first year doesn't mean your a "first" year coach. Please do your homework and look into a coach's whole resume, then give an opinion. The thread gave NO stipulation on what the rules were for rating these coaches. A coach is a coach is a coach.

On that note I would have to agree with you and say Cooksey is an excellent coach and he was mistakenly overlooked in my top five. Please forgive me.

I'm pretty familiar with most of the coaches in the 16th. I am not saying that any of them are bad coaches, most of them are very good people and are more then qualified to coach. What I am saying is, to be known as a great coach takes time, and you can't use assistant coaching experience as an indication as to the quality of coach, some people are just better assistants then they are at being a head coach. Nothing wrong with that.

I think John Bush is doing a great job at Rose Hill, but for a true indication of his coaching ability, he has to be a head varsity coach for several years with different players. He has some great young talent right now, and getting the most from them. But, how will he coach with less talent? I think he will do just fine, but we have to wait and see. I know him to be a genuinely good person, and knows basketball, but, again, you have to put some time to be sure.

I think Scott Floyd is a good coach, he won the district in his first year at head coach, but does that qualify him as a "Great Coach", I don't think so. I like him, and I know he is a good person and has a great knowledge of basketball. But, what he does this year with very little experienced players will speak volumes for his coaching ability. Give him 5 years and then we will know what kind of coach he is.

I have seen Cooksey coach very talented teams, and I have seen him coach teams that were less then talented. He gets a lot of his team no matter their talent level. There are several coaches around that have done that, that is what makes a great coach in my mind.

You or anyone else can name what ever coaches you want, it makes no difference to me, but I see it as the body of a coaches experience, not just what they have done in the last year or two. Just my opinion.:idunno:

Well he spanked that little ole team from Raceland, that you keep preaching is improving each time out, and that their coach is doing a great job, so Bush must be doing something right. He has taken a team that lost 4 starters, including two of the top rated players in the state, and has them playing the best ball in the region outside Elliott County. Who cares if it's his first year, or his 50th year. The man is proving that he can coach.

Again, I like John Bush, and I think he is going to be a great coach. But, I can't see him, or anyone else, including Floyd, being placed in a category of great coaches yet. I know that John has coached for several years in the AAU circuit, and at the JR high level, and as an assistant varsity coach. But, coaches are not graded on that, they are graded on head varsity coaching experience.

I think, in time, Bush and Floyd are going to be great coaches. I think Kidwell will become known as a very good coach as well, but how can you say they are great now? Maybe I see it differently then some, but I think it takes away from people like Marv Meridith when you say that a first year varsity head coach is great.

Maybe the thread should have been titled "Top five coaches in 16th Region with VARSITY HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE"...............................................................................................................................................................................................................But it WASN'T.

Should a first year coach be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. NO I agree. But the thread implied only "Top 5 coaches" right NOW. Once again I may be mistaken. I understand your philosophy and agree with it completely when it comes to "coaches history". If we were ranking top 16th region coaches over the last 25 years then my TOP five would look totally different.

UH...................Ram i'm sorry but did you say Marv. Ok now I'm completely lost. That thread would have a totally different title.

:puke:

I was saying that it takes away from Meridith to put first year coaches out there as being proven coaches. Just my opinion. I will leave the prognostication to others.