Highlands 51 Boone County 37

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there, but can you say outcaoched if this is true?? BTW--"Willie-Ball" has been known to create a lot of "ugly games" and wins!!

Congrats Birds--How'd they lose to Brossart??

I wasnt there but I heard they played horribly and Kowolonek was 4 for 16 that night. You go through that during a season and not to mention Brossart is a very nice ballclub. You cant "not show up" against the Mustangs especially on their home floor.

Tonight yes I would say Willie outcoached McQueary.

Ditto--It just seems every year they're going to be all that and a bag of chips, and end up disappointing??

This BC Jr. class has been heralded since the 8th grade and I would agree they are not achieving what they could with the talent they have. Flannery leaving really screwed that group up IMO. He was a scoring threat from the perimeter and it would have opened up not only Earls on the block but also Gabbard/Popp for penetration baskets and McFarland within 12 feet. Take him away and you really dont have any 3pt threat.

This BC Jr. class has been heralded since the 8th grade and I would agree they are not achieving what they could with the talent they have. Flannery leaving really screwed that group up IMO. He was a scoring threat from the perimeter and it would have opened up not only Earls on the block but also Gabbard/Popp for penetration baskets and McFarland within 12 feet. Take him away and you really dont have any 3pt threat.[/QUOTE]

I thought McFarland could fill it up from outside? Come on, somewhere in those 800 boys must be a kid that can shoot from 20 feet?? :D

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've said since over the summer that Boone was very overrrated and a lack of depth would be their downfall. It really showed against Highlands tonight whose inside depth really was the key to the game. Dill, Watson, and Grubbs frustrated McFarland and Earls all night.

Highlands is much better than advertised. I said this at the beginning of the season that I thought they would be Holmes' toughest game and they seemed to prove a little why by handling a Boone team that many considered to be above the pack and just below Holmes.

I honestly think it will come down to Holmes and Highlands at the end of the year if they are in opposite brackets.

Many times it was 4 BC players staniding around watching McFarland pound the ball with his head down and shoot.

Good point. I'm glad someone from outside Boone has noticed this. This non-motion offense is what the Boone faithful have been complaining about for the last couple of years, and they will not beat the good teams without more motion, pick and rolls, back-door cuts, high-low screens, etc., until they do.

I will agree it was a very physical game and only having 2 referees definitely played in the favor of the Birds. A lot of hand checking, physical trapping and banging down low. Maybe not the prettiest game by the Birds but they held a very good BC team to 37 points and that is very impressive.

Physical defense bothers Boone because of the first point above. The team, and especially guards can't penetrate or get free to make plays and passes because of point one above. Last year, Highlands repeatedly set high screens to get McGraw open.

And nothing against Boone County from me - I have never seen them play. I was just basing that off of what many others have said on here :thumb:

I don't think anyone ever said Boone should be a top 5 team in this forum. I still think they are a top 20 team. They have some good victories this season. Highlands also is a top 20 team.

Good point. I'm glad someone from outside Boone has noticed this. This non-motion offense is what the Boone faithful have been complaining about for the last couple of years, and they will not beat the good teams without more motion, pick and rolls, back-door cuts, high-low screens, etc., until they do.

Physical defense bothers Boone because of the first point above. The team, and especially guards can't penetrate or get free to make plays and passes because of point one above. Last year, Highlands repeatedly set high screens to get McGraw open.

Good point, if Earls isnt going to be utilized on the block they may as well run some high screens and back door cuts. Those guys are good enough passers and have good quickness. Not enough motion for Boone Co.