Utah AG: BCS may violate antitrust laws

panther15z30

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utah AG has a valid point, and I assure you plenty of people in Utah are proud their AG is speaking up. I wonder how upset UK fans would be if UK was in Utah's position?

What violation has been committed? What does the state of Utah and its citizens get out of this ? What crime is being investigated?

"Valid point" is not enough. There are all kinds of situations where "valid points" come up but its not a high enough priority and it would be a waste of taxpayer dollars. This is pure grandstanding.

What are our lawyer BGP members take on this case?

Personally, I hope something comes out of it, namely a playoff system.

But I think it will be difficult to prove a "conspiracy". Didn't all the presidents of the school's in the system sign off on the final format?

Here's my limited understanding of the BCS. 6 conferences got together and decided to form this. If that's true and assuming the NCAAA is not forbidding other conferences from doing the same thing, I don't see the argument. Unless the NCAA is forbidding other conferences from trying the same concept, what's the argument? Can't the 6 decide how they want THEIR tournament to go?

I don't think this is going to cause the NCAA to go to a tournament. At best a "Plus 1" will come about.

I hate the "Plus 1" concept because I don't think it solves the problem.

Take this year for example:

Florida

Oklahoma --- THEN

Texas

Utah

USC

Who is the "plus 1" team? Utah? USC? Any playoff would need to incorporate the top 8 teams. Sure, someone with an argument might still get left off, but it would make more sense IMO.

I hate the "Plus 1" concept because I don't think it solves the problem.

Take this year for example:

Florida

Oklahoma --- THEN

Texas

Utah

USC

Who is the "plus 1" team? Utah? USC? Any playoff would need to incorporate the top 8 teams. Sure, someone with an argument might still get left off, but it would make more sense IMO.

I agree and have stated so in another thread. It would simply be an alternative to the not-in-the-forseeable-future playoff system.