Utah AG: BCS may violate antitrust laws

panther15z30

For the sake of argument lets agree and say one, how many does it take getting left out to make it a valid argument? Seems as though one would be enough.

So when a playoff system is put in place and a team that has an arguement to be in it gets left out what do we go to then?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seemed pretty simple to me. It was plainly stated in the first paragraph, but I’ll post it here without all the fluff in the middle.

Attorney General Mark Shurtleff contends the BCS unfairly puts schools like Utah, which is a member of a conference without an automatic bid to the lucrative bowl games, at a competitive and financial disadvantage.

"We've established that from the very first day, from the very first kickoff in the college season, more than half of the schools are put on an unlevel playing field," Shurtleff said Tuesday. "They will never be allowed to play for a national championship."

Shurtleff said his office is still in the initial stages of reviewing the Sherman Antitrust Act to see if a lawsuit can be filed. To succeed in a lawsuit, he would have to prove a conspiracy exists that creates a monopoly.

So there it is Utah AG thinks there is a system in place which creates a monopoly, doesn’t seem hard to prove to me, how many non-BCS conference teams have won the National Championship or for that matter even had the chance to play for it, that seems like a monopoly to me…

Again, I'm no legal expert but I don't see how the govt can force the hand here. Has the NCAA forbidden other conferences from forming their own BCS? Or is it the marketplace that would not support it?

I get that Utah does not have the same chance to earn the money the teams from ther other 6 do but, again, as far as I know the NCAA is not restricting Utah, Boise, and others from forming their own BCS .

So, if I'm right in my assumptions, why should the govt force the hands of these 6?

I'd assume sometime last year when Michigan was still highly regarded.

Let's not forget, last year Utah came to Louisville and handed the Cards an L...this was right after Louisville's Orange Bowl victory. I think that the argument Utah avoids teams is weak. They schedule good teams and their conference isn't that weak at all.

I said monster teams. UofL made a nice run but come on. They were just building their program and were far from a power year in and year out. I am talking about an Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, USC. There is no reason they shouldn't be playing USC. Both western teams and as far as I know USC doesn't dodge teams.

Notre Dame is a BCS school. They make a special exception for them. So they don't count.

ND is not a BCS school. They have to meet certain critiria just like the mid majors. And actually it is tougher for them to get in then a non BCS conference school.

Lets see, picking 8 teams to have a shot at a NC seems easier than picking 2. Would you disagree?

No, I don't disagree. And for the record I wouldn't mind a playoff.

But think about this. Basketball has 65 teams in the tournament. How many teams a year do we have to hear cry about getting left out every year?

Again, I'm no legal expert but I don't see how the govt can force the hand here. Has the NCAA forbidden other conferences from forming their own BCS? Or is it the marketplace that would not support it?

It seems as though all schools in the NCAA should have the same opportunities to succeed under the current system, not the freedom to create a new system that better serves them... I have one question for you, do you believe that the NCAA provides a "level playing field" for all it's member schools? I doubt anyone can answer yes to that question and that's were the problem lies IMO...

I get that Utah does not have the same chance to earn the money the teams from ther other 6 do but, again, as far as I know the NCAA is not restricting Utah, Boise, and others from forming their own BCS .

So, if I'm right in my assumptions, why should the govt force the hands of these 6?

Where the problem comes into play, is that the BCS in itself is doing nothing wrong. The NCAA recognizes the BCS champ as its champion, therefore that's where the wrongdoing is.

ND is not a BCS school. They have to meet certain critiria just like the mid majors. And actually it is tougher for them to get in then a non BCS conference school.

9 wins and in....they gave up some big $$$ for when they get in, but now they get $$$$ every year.

But think about this. Basketball has 65 teams in the tournament. How many teams a year do we have to hear cry about getting left out every year?

How many time's are those teams still being talked about the first week in April as teams that could/should have contended for the NC?

I said monster teams. UofL made a nice run but come on. They were just building their program and were far from a power year in and year out. I am talking about an Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, USC. There is no reason they shouldn't be playing USC. Both western teams and as far as I know USC doesn't dodge teams.

Louisville was fresh off of a one loss season, a BCS conference championship, and an Orange Bowl victory. That is a VERY quality non conference opponent.

Michigan isn't one of those "powers". :irked::irked:

The only thing I can tell you on the last part is to contact the AD for USC or Utah. USC has a pretty full non-conference slate...I don't think they would have much room.

They've won 8 BCS games in the last 11 years?

also, ND is a BCS school...don't use semantics

I'm sorry, the big 11 has 8 wins 11 losses.

I am not using semantics with ND. They have to finish in the top 8 to get into a BCS game. A non BCS conference team has to win their conference and finish in the top 12.

A lot of them cry about being left out, but in reality we all know they aren't going to win, and then they are forgotten about....it's pretty obvious that none of the teams below 16 are going to be able to win 3-4 straight against brutal competition and win this thing.