2009 Harlan County

Ram

He has had several over the years.

Chris Larkey 85-87

Scott Parkey 89-91

Christopher Parsons 98-00

Matthew Burkhart 03-05

Dustin Bishop 07-present

I thought so, but was not sure enough to say other than the present QB.

Edited by jitterbug2
spelling

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the roster and I had forgotten about Travis Fields. He used to play some QB. He may be another option as well. Maggard will be a Fresh next year and he looked really good at QB his 8th grade year. High school is a different game though. I guess we'll just have to sit back and see who works the hardest in the upcoming months to earn that spot.

Also after looking at the roster I noted that we have a whole bunch of seniors this upcoming year! I don't know why I thought we were going to be so young for. There was alot of Sophmores this year that got a lot of good playing time and should step right on up!

I'm pretty close to Harlan, as in the county, and know a couple players on the team but I'm not to keen on the program. I'd like to see Marcus McMillan get some more carries in the upcomming year, he's got potential to be a good one. Also, I heard alot about a kid the played for New Harlan, Tucker Lewis I beleive, is he a freshman next year?

Did Larkey ever start a freshman at any position?

The only frosh player that has ever started for him on offense was Jason Leger and that was due to a dismissal of a senior lineman that year half way through the year, or I'd say Jason wouldn't have even started.

There have been 3 start on defense in his 35 years, J.D. Harris, Kevin Rowe and Dane Cox all from Rockcastle County.

Usually if a frosh plays and starts in varsity competition, you are either hurting for players or he is an exceptional athlete. Either way, both are rare instances.

That is an excellent point Odessa. Last year we had a lot of numbers, but I still felt like there were some kids that didn't play that could have. I believe everyone new just about automatically who would be the main players the first year, it just had to be that way with a first year and time they had to prepare. But anyways there may be a whole lot more boys come out this year and make a difference.

Tim Engle, Jamille Stewart and Tyler Stewart could all make an impact, especially on defense, as seniors who didn't play last year for various reasons.

Everyone talks about the eighth- and ninth-graders, but the Bears could have a senior class next year with those three, plus Green, Phillips, Ball, Shoemaker, Short, Burgan, Clark, Williamson, Ison, Dunson, Halcomb and Marshall among others.

I don't see Travis Fields at quarterback. I think he's outgrown it. He had a nice year on the JV defensive line and is one of the tougher players they have.

Tim Engle, Jamille Stewart and Tyler Stewart could all make an impact, especially on defense, as seniors who didn't play last year for various reasons.

Everyone talks about the eighth- and ninth-graders, but the Bears could have a senior class next year with those three, plus Green, Phillips, Ball, Shoemaker, Short, Burgan, Clark, Williamson, Ison, Dunson, Halcomb and Marshall among others.

I don't see Travis Fields at quarterback. I think he's outgrown it. He had a nice year on the JV defensive line and is one of the tougher players they have.

What you've got there looks good to me HDE. You throw in Jordan Calton, Alex Haywood, Brian Owens, Dylon Smith, Jesse Hensley who will be juniors and you have a nice selection for some defense. I like the sound of Eric Miller and Timmy Engle playing football! Both boys are very athletic. I hope that we continue to have good numbers. It's exciting to hear that other kids are wanting to play who didn't want to, for whatever reason, last year.

I'm just tickeld to see this thread!!!.

Me too Mama Bear!!! I've been checking periodically to see if there had been a thread started on the Bears. I am having some serious football withdrawal and can't wait for all the boys to get back together practicing.

I am also a little worried about the QB position, and I know we lost some VERY good players, but I think other than the QB we look pretty darn good. A few of the boys didn't play basketball this year just to concentrate on football, have a good off-season lifting program and gain some weight, and I think that will make a big impact for those individuals. One of them that I know really good has already gained some weight, is working hard, and is very eagar for this next season. I cannot wait to see how it all plays out. I am confident that having the entire off-season weight program and preseason before actual practice starts with Coach Larkey will prove to really impact the 2009 team. They didn't have that last year and only had a little while with Coach, together as a team, before the season started. I can't wait... and I love me some Black Bear Football!!! :D

Taylor and McMillian were the best freshman combo of backs I've seen in a while.

Dylon Smith could be ready to explode as a running back/receiver. He had some big plays last year as a sophomore and is one of the best athletes we've had in Harlan County.

With this tandem it doesn't really matter who plays QB just get them the ball and watch them work their magic, if Coach Larkey wanted to he could continue to play Green at QB and lineup in some sort of Wild Bear formations, with his power running abilities and the speed of the other three they could be a real force to contend with. TJ also throws the ball much better than most realize.