Trinity 28 St. Xavier 21

scooterbob

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Same here, not fishing at all. If the kids like the shirts, go for it. My post intent was far beyond ink on cotton, I was looking at the philosophy on a season. Every kid dreams of a state title, but I don't know that it is good to harp on it from practice #1.

Any guesses as to why X can't beat Trinity when it really counts? Especially when they manhandle them during the season?

Is it coaching? Are those regular season games flukes? Seeing as how these two teams know that they'll meet again in the playoffs and the winner will win state...does Trinity use the regular season game like a science lab to experiment with things to see what works and what doesn't, then spend the rest of the season working on the good and getting rid of the bad? Second time around, the unleash it all on X and they have no answer?

Just curious. To me, that is the most impressive thing about Trinity...their ability to make such a huge improvement as a team every season to where they're always playing at their highest level when it matters most. That's the goal of every team in every sport, but few accomplish it to the level that Trinity has over the past decade.

I know many of my posts smell of sarcasm, but I am really trying to be serious here. I wonder if there isn't too much pressure put on the St. X kids during the course of the season. The season themes (t-shirts they wear) all focus on winning the state title... Last Game, Leave No Doubt, I think that message may wear on the young men over the course of the season. The Tigers are heads and shoulders above all other teams at mid season, and still mighty enough in the playoffs to beat most anyone else. I just don't see that they steadily improve, they rocket to a peak then fizzle some at the end. Coach G even said as much on his radio show Friday. He was glad the game was coming before the title game as he talked about let downs. Now, admiting to title game letdowns is another story, but I think what he had to say sort of supports my position. I like the way Trinity splits the season into 3 mini seasons. It seems to take the pressure levels way down. The team only has to really get into the frenzy peak the last 5 games of the season, which I think is a lot easier for a young mind and body to handle. What do you think? Have I been smoking to much ginsing?

IMO-the T-shirts have nothing to do with it. It is neat to now learn something from my son instead of vise versa, but he brought alot of what you stated to light in a conversation we had this Summer. I'm sure alot of his knowledge comes from comparing notes with his fraternity brothers which are made up of mostly ex-Trinity and X players. He mentioned the difference in "how" the two teams condition/practice throughout the season-the X teams start early and stay with heavy contact practices while the Rocks gradually build up contact while continuing to work on strength via weight lifting. This may be why the X teams peak early but are more worn down at seasons end and the Rocks peak later when it matters most.

My biggest take on what needs to be fixed is the disparity caused by the "C" factor. I truly feel Coach Coverdale's game strategies provide a 10-14 point difference per "Big Game". No knock on X's coaches because I think they are very very good and match up well overall with the Rock staff-the difference is that Coach C is that great in game-calling. My son came away amazed with his knowledge, which he shared generously at X's Summer passing camp destination. X has made a major improvement ever since Coach Wagoner came back-it may be time to make some more adjustments. Or better yet, have Coach Kragthorpe steal Coach C from the Rocks and fix two problems at once for this Card/Tiger fan.:lol:

Any guesses as to why X can't beat Trinity when it really counts? Especially when they manhandle them during the season?

Is it coaching? Are those regular season games flukes? Seeing as how these two teams know that they'll meet again in the playoffs and the winner will win state...does Trinity use the regular season game like a science lab to experiment with things to see what works and what doesn't, then spend the rest of the season working on the good and getting rid of the bad? Second time around, the unleash it all on X and they have no answer?

Just curious. To me, that is the most impressive thing about Trinity...their ability to make such a huge improvement as a team every season to where they're always playing at their highest level when it matters most. That's the goal of every team in every sport, but few accomplish it to the level that Trinity has over the past decade.

X did not "manhandle" T in the regular season. The game was much closer than the score indicated. It should have been 10-7 in the 3rd quarter, but a missed extra point followed by a series of T turnovers made the difference. The Rock miscues weren't the result of jarring hits, they were concentration and judgment mistakes. Cam Smith was being chased most of the night due to two starting O lineman being out.

As an X grad/parent I was hoping for a win, but did not think for a second X would walk away with a win. I was proud of the way the Tigers fought back. TP's run at the end of the half was a dagger. He's a tremendous athlete and I wish him much success at Eastern Michigan(UK or UL should be offering this young man). Jordan Whiting turned in a bigtime D1 performance. Messina delivered some vicious hits. The talent level was pretty even. X simply got outplayed in the first half. Congrats to Trinity.

For what it is worth, I think the biggest reason you see so much change in Trinity over the course of the season is the complexity of the offense. If you notice, all of the regular season wins by X have come when Trinity had a first year starter at quarterback. Brohm in 01, Savko in 04, Petrino in 05, Stein in 07 and Smyth this year. The only one to win in his first year as a starter was Rddle in 00. It takes a long time to master the Trinity offense. By the end of the season, the offense is really starting to click. Even Brian Brohm struggled a little at the beginning of his senior year when he had all new receivers. Most of Trinity's pass routes are read routes. It takes a while for the quarterback and the receivers to get on the same page.

^ Same here, not fishing at all. If the kids like the shirts, go for it. My post intent was far beyond ink on cotton, I was looking at the philosophy on a season. Every kid dreams of a state title, but I don't know that it is good to harp on it from practice #1.

Are you telling me Coach Beatty doesn't set goals at the beginning of each season, one of which is win state? As I see it, the slogan is just a way to emphasize your goals. T shirts don't win football games, nobody at X believes that.

Both schools know that the title comes down to who wins their matchup in the playoffs...not sure it matters if there's a t-shirt or not. Everyone knows a state title is the goal from day one.

X did not "manhandle" T in the regular season. The game was much closer than the score indicated. It should have been 10-7 in the 3rd quarter, but a missed extra point followed by a series of T turnovers made the difference. The Rock miscues weren't the result of jarring hits, they were concentration and judgment mistakes. Cam Smith was being chased most of the night due to two starting O lineman being out.

As an X grad/parent I was hoping for a win, but did not think for a second X would walk away with a win. I was proud of the way the Tigers fought back. TP's run at the end of the half was a dagger. He's a tremendous athlete and I wish him much success at Eastern Michigan(UK or UL should be offering this young man). Jordan Whiting turned in a bigtime D1 performance. Messina delivered some vicious hits. The talent level was pretty even. X simply got outplayed in the first half. Congrats to Trinity.

Exactly...from what I can hear and read, it seems that the talent level for the most part is even, and recently, several people have suggested that if anyone has the talent advantage it would be X.

So, again, I ask, why can't they win the game that counts? Why is Trinity always prepared to play their best when the stakes are highest...and X is not?

I know that X doesn't harp on it from the beginning, and doesn't look past any opponent as evidenced by the margins of victory all season long. I just think with the level of play by T and X relative to others in the state, it's not a stretch in the preseason to believe that it will come down to those two at the end. Glaser just wants them to play hard every play, every game and improve from week to week. I'm sure Beatty and the T staff feel the same.

In reality a very hard fought game....I am shocked at a couple of X fans that have not come to join the party yet......strange.....My heart goes out to the X seniors who really laid it all on the line....you deserved the right to a title....Good luck the rest of the way...

To the Rocks.....you never cease to amaze me.....Bob Beatty may not be the most popular person around, BUT he is by far the best post game coach I know...and I don't want anyone else leading the Rocks right now.

Go Rocks, Take State!!!

There are a couple of X guys in my office that never even mentioned the game today. Boy, they sure talked about it a lot last week. I may wait a day or two, and then ask them about it. I know that when I'm on the losing side, it's not much fun.

If I were an X fan, I wouldn't care if we won 100-0 in the regular season, I wouldn't say a word until we won the playoff matchup.:D