gamer31

Who wins?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering, HHS had one defeat this year and it must have been a very outstanding team! Who was the team and how did they beat HHS. What did they exploit?
It was nationally ranked Cincinnati Colerain in just the 2nd week of the season. The game was pretty close, and the Birds actually could've had a shot at them if a few things had broken their way. The final score was 33-18.

I was wondering, HHS had one defeat this year and it must have been a very outstanding team! Who was the team and how did they beat HHS. What did they exploit?

I think I know what you're getting at. Colerain, OH was the team to beat the Birds by running the triple option/wishbone.

But JC is no where near the same size as Colerain and doesn't have anywhere near the amount of athleticism or speed as they did.

Highlands put up 18 points on a Colerain defense that had held St X (OH) and Mckeesport, PA to a combined 15 points.

Love JC....Hope they win this contest....but my gut feeling says that cannon is gonna go...Boom...Boom...BOOM!

Game is at JC...not Highlands. :sssh:;)

If it does, we won't hear it from Paintsville. :cool:

:thumb: JC does have a "mini" cannon that they will shoot off before the game. I think that's the only time we may be hearing it.....:sssh:

Their cannon doesn't compare to what Boom and the boys work with though. :ylsuper:

I think I know what you're getting at. Colerain, OH was the team to beat the Birds by running the triple option/wishbone.

But JC is no where near the same size as Colerain and doesn't have anywhere near the amount of athleticism or speed as they did.

Highlands put up 18 points on a Colerain defense that had held St X (OH) and Mckeesport, PA to a combined 15 points.

Game is at JC...not Highlands. :sssh:;)

No, I had no clue about any Ohio teams or what they ran. I just wanted to know what it would take be beat a team as awesome as HHS. Like I said they must have been an awesome team to HHS.

Lots of positive spin put on this game post game and in the years since has given people the impression that it was a close call. It wasn't. Sheldon Clark was a great place to watch a game and a more than great host, but that game was never in doubt. Easily one of my favorite road trip games. I remember leaving the game listening to the post-game wrap on the local radio show and the guy was talking glowingly about the SC effort. (As he should have been, but maybe toned down slightly.) One of the guys in the car with me mentioned that there would be people down the road talking about how close this game was based on the post-game radio accounts. Again, it wasn't. That 98 team never had a post season challenge.

Holy cow. It's been ten years?!:eek:

I was at the game and I agree with you to some extent. Highlands controlled the game and was never truly threatened. SC had a good showing and kept the game respectable, but never really put Highlands into a state of feeling the game was close.

SC had pulled a miracle upset off the previous week against Belfry (a game all Belfry fans have fresh in their minds this week). That Belfry team would have matched up with Highlands a little better,especially physically, that Belfry team had defeated Ironton, OH that year who then went on to be Runner-ups in Division 4 in Ohio. But, I have no problem saying that Highlands would have beat them fairly handidly as well had they played, at least 3 TD's.

BUT, I think it is safe to say that SC played them closer than any other 3A team that year, save CovCath. Highlands went on the next week and beat the stuffings out of Owensboro in the Finals.

Edited by EKUAlum05

No, I had no clue about any Ohio teams or what they ran. I just wanted to know what it would take be beat a team as awesome as HHS. Like I said they must have been an awesome team to HHS.

Colerain lost to USA Today #19 Elder in the Ohio big school playoffs, in double OT.

The JC dominating win Friday tells me they are a threat to HHS. And I think the one dimensional aspect is exactly how JC could beat Highlands. I want to see how HHS handles a big, power team with their speed based team. Interesting match up and contrast. JC needs to run, run, and run some more. Control the clock and keep HHS's offense on the sideline. Reduce the number of possessions for each team in the game. Do not abandon the running game unless you get down by more than 2 scores, and maybe not even then. If JC has to throw the ball more than 5 times in the game, they will lose. Go with your strength. This is at the top of the list of games to watch this week.

Yes it was Colerain who knocked them off in Highlands' second week of the season. Colerain was ranked as high as #8 in the country at one point by USA today.