So I graduate from EKU in December...

halfback20

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you limiting your search to the immediate area? If not, there is a federal prison in Lucasville, Ohio just up the road from Portsmouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ohio_Correctional_Facility

Congrats on your upcoming graduation.

I wouldn't mind moving. I'd prefer to move a little actually. I've even considered the Air Force....but not to seriously yet.

Postal inspectors are only in large cities, I know a guy who was a postmaster and he recomended that to me as well since I had my CRJ degree, but there are none close. As far as police depts that pay well, I believe Owensboro pays well, and KSP isn't too bad either...However I went into the private field because I was attracted to the pay

Call me sometime HB20 if you want some entry level job advice around Kentucky that doesn't deal directly with the police force.

I wouldn't recommend the prison system either, I have friends who love the pay at the federal level but thier social life in non-existent and working for local or state jails equal less social life and less pay, I really feel bad for those employees.

And I'll be looking for a job. I will have my Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice and would like a job in Law Enforcement. I do not want to work around my hometown (Rockcastle) because they pay police officers like they pay McDonald's employees. Any advice?

Just some random advice that I wish I had been given at the point of my graduation.

Before I bought a house and got married and had bills of my own, I wished I had joined the Peace Corp. It is very hard to if you have so many committments currently or a JOB. My wife and I are definately going to join up though in our lifetime, it is something that both of us have always wanted to do but didn't know until after we were married and the topic just came up, we were both astonished that we both had always wanted to join but had never mentioned it.

It is great experience and will serve your RESUME more than wonders, it would probably land you THE job you want and the networking would be an extra bonus. You get paid, get time off to come home, all the money you got paid would essentially be a savings for you because you don't need any additional expenses in a foreign country, while it isn't a ton of money it is the experience that is beneficial.

Just not sure if that is an option for you or not though. Like I said we are both joining in the future when our lives aren't so full of responsibilities and hectic lifestyles.

Just some random advice that I wish I had been given at the point of my graduation.

Before I bought a house and got married and had bills of my own, I wished I had joined the Peace Corp. It is very hard to if you have so many committments currently or a JOB. My wife and I are definately going to join up though in our lifetime, it is something that both of us have always wanted to do but didn't know until after we were married and the topic just came up, we were both astonished that we both had always wanted to join but had never mentioned it.

It is great experience and will serve your RESUME more than wonders, it would probably land you THE job you want and the networking would be an extra bonus. You get paid, get time off to come home, all the money you got paid would essentially be a savings for you because you don't need any additional expenses in a foreign country, while it isn't a ton of money it is the experience that is beneficial.

Just not sure if that is an option for you or not though. Like I said we are both joining in the future when our lives aren't so full of responsibilities and hectic lifestyles.

I cant believe there is someone else like me. I have always regreted not doing some time in the Peace Corp. My oldest son graduates from EKU this year and I have strongly suggested the Peace Corp for a year to him. You can do a lot of good works and, if nothing else, it looks good on a resume!:D

Could you please send me some more information? I have always been interested in this.... You have to spend a year and a half in another country right?