Do you smoke?

ScarHeel

Do You Smoke?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Smoke?

• Yes, I'm a heavy (or skinny) smoker
    • Yes but not to often
    • Nope

For those of you who quit smoking, how long did it take to break the addiction?

Truthfully, it goes w/o saying that it is not easy. Quite few years ago I stopped smoking for probably 6 months, why I ever picked up another one I don't know but I did and within a very short amount of time I was back to smoking as much or more before.

This last time I have made it stick. I was hospitalized for 3 or 4 days and obviously couldn't smoke. I ask for and recieved a couple of the nicotine patches while in the hospital. When I was released I had a package of the nicotine patch system (is a step down program) waiting on me when I arrived home. Between completing the entire step down patch system and lot of toosie pops I made it and have quit smoking, that was around the last of March, first of April of 07'.

I am not going to lie and say that I never crave a ciggarrette bc I do, the cravings now are a lot fewer and further between and within a couple of minutes I have forgotten about it. This time I haven't just "stopped" smoking, I have "Quit". There is a difference, I said I "stopped" the first time bc that proved to be what it was, just stopped for a few months, if I had quit I wouldn't had went back.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit a few years back.. I didn't get too heavily addicted so it wasn't really a big problem for me to just up and stop one day.

I now assist in helping others to become nonsmokers by using the Cooper-Clayton method. We figure that we can't save everyone, but if we can help at least one person quit smoking, we have accomplished something.

OK, I think we need to clarify "Yes, but not to often", because several people have said they like to smoke a cigar occasionally, but voted in the poll "Nope". I have news for you guys, you smoke.

:thumb: and I say that not to put anyone down but as now a non smoker that used to smoke. Trust me, there is no middle ground with smoking, it is addictive and one is either a smoker or non smoker.

I equate it in a way to an alcoholic that has been through qutting drinking. They cannot pick up another drink, is the same way with a smoker as far as going back to an addiction.

JMO and good luck to anyone that has decided to quit, it is tough to do but is well worth it.

Never have and never will! What is the Cooper-Clayton method? I am always trying to get people to quit. Telling them they are going to get lung cancer does not always work?

http://www.stopsmoking4ever.org/

For the most part, we use patches... Start them off on 21 milligrams, then slowly down to 14 milligrams, then 7... And then by the end of the 12 weeks, hopefully they're not dependent on nicotine anymore.

Motivation is the key, though. Just letting them know that they aren't at it alone and we're all there for moral support helps more than anything.

Truthfully, it goes w/o saying that it is not easy. Quite few years ago I stopped smoking for probably 6 months, why I ever picked up another one I don't know but I did and within a very short amount of time I was back to smoking as much or more before.

This last time I have made it stick. I was hospitalized for 3 or 4 days and obviously couldn't smoke. I ask for and recieved a couple of the nicotine patches while in the hospital. When I was released I had a package of the nicotine patch system (is a step down program) waiting on me when I arrived home. Between completing the entire step down patch system and lot of toosie pops I made it and have quit smoking, that was around the last of March, first of April of 07'.

I am not going to lie and say that I never crave a ciggarrette bc I do, the cravings now are a lot fewer and further between and within a couple of minutes I have forgotten about it. This time I haven't just "stopped" smoking, I have "Quit". There is a difference, I said I "stopped" the first time bc that proved to be what it was, just stopped for a few months, if I had quit I wouldn't had went back.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the info. Anyone ever use therapy/support groups for smoking? Is it effective?

http://www.stopsmoking4ever.org/

For the most part, we use patches... Start them off on 21 milligrams, then slowly down to 14 milligrams, then 7... And then by the end of the 12 weeks, hopefully they're not dependent on nicotine anymore.

Motivation is the key, though. Just letting them know that they aren't at it alone and we're all there for moral support helps more than anything.

:thumb: and I say that not to put anyone down but as now a non smoker that used to smoke. Trust me, there is no middle ground with smoking, it is addictive and one is either a smoker or non smoker.

I equate it in a way to an alcoholic that has been through qutting drinking. They cannot pick up another drink, is the same way with a smoker as far as going back to an addiction.

JMO and good luck to anyone that has decided to quit, it is tough to do but is well worth it.

I've tried to quit in the past and did for a year. I was absolutely miserable for that year and went back. As a person in recovery I almost went back to drinking while not smoking and knew my mind was going places it didn't need to be going. I've been sober over 20 years and still think about a drink, so I'm content to keep smoking my cigs and leave the alcohol alone. For those that have quit I commend you.