Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do you smoke?

Do You Smoke? 113 members have voted

  1. 1. Do You Smoke?

    • Yes, I'm a heavy (or skinny) smoker
      9%
    • Yes but not to often
      7%
    • Nope
      82%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

For those of you who quit smoking, how long did it take to break the addiction?

 

Truthfully, it goes w/o saying that it is not easy. Quite few years ago I stopped smoking for probably 6 months, why I ever picked up another one I don't know but I did and within a very short amount of time I was back to smoking as much or more before.

This last time I have made it stick. I was hospitalized for 3 or 4 days and obviously couldn't smoke. I ask for and recieved a couple of the nicotine patches while in the hospital. When I was released I had a package of the nicotine patch system (is a step down program) waiting on me when I arrived home. Between completing the entire step down patch system and lot of toosie pops I made it and have quit smoking, that was around the last of March, first of April of 07'.

I am not going to lie and say that I never crave a ciggarrette bc I do, the cravings now are a lot fewer and further between and within a couple of minutes I have forgotten about it. This time I haven't just "stopped" smoking, I have "Quit". There is a difference, I said I "stopped" the first time bc that proved to be what it was, just stopped for a few months, if I had quit I wouldn't had went back.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job Oldrambler!!! :ylsuper:

I was never a heavy smoker , but quite in 1986. The way I quite was not to tell any one and then my son noticed after abut 3 weeks.

Not since November 22, 2004. After smoking 3 packs a day for the 25 years, I got up that morning and said, "I'm done." Haven't had one since.

I quit a few years back.. I didn't get too heavily addicted so it wasn't really a big problem for me to just up and stop one day.

 

I now assist in helping others to become nonsmokers by using the Cooper-Clayton method. We figure that we can't save everyone, but if we can help at least one person quit smoking, we have accomplished something.

OK, I think we need to clarify "Yes, but not to often", because several people have said they like to smoke a cigar occasionally, but voted in the poll "Nope". I have news for you guys, you smoke.

 

:thumb: and I say that not to put anyone down but as now a non smoker that used to smoke. Trust me, there is no middle ground with smoking, it is addictive and one is either a smoker or non smoker.

 

I equate it in a way to an alcoholic that has been through qutting drinking. They cannot pick up another drink, is the same way with a smoker as far as going back to an addiction.

JMO and good luck to anyone that has decided to quit, it is tough to do but is well worth it.

Good job Oldrambler!!! :ylsuper:

 

Thank you.

Never have and never will! What is the Cooper-Clayton method? I am always trying to get people to quit. Telling them they are going to get lung cancer does not always work?

I am actually mildly allergic to cig smoke.

Nope. I puffed one cig and it tasted awful. Plus, it's nasty.

Never have and never will! What is the Cooper-Clayton method? I am always trying to get people to quit. Telling them they are going to get lung cancer does not always work?

 

http://www.stopsmoking4ever.org/

 

For the most part, we use patches... Start them off on 21 milligrams, then slowly down to 14 milligrams, then 7... And then by the end of the 12 weeks, hopefully they're not dependent on nicotine anymore.

 

Motivation is the key, though. Just letting them know that they aren't at it alone and we're all there for moral support helps more than anything.

Truthfully, it goes w/o saying that it is not easy. Quite few years ago I stopped smoking for probably 6 months, why I ever picked up another one I don't know but I did and within a very short amount of time I was back to smoking as much or more before.

This last time I have made it stick. I was hospitalized for 3 or 4 days and obviously couldn't smoke. I ask for and recieved a couple of the nicotine patches while in the hospital. When I was released I had a package of the nicotine patch system (is a step down program) waiting on me when I arrived home. Between completing the entire step down patch system and lot of toosie pops I made it and have quit smoking, that was around the last of March, first of April of 07'.

I am not going to lie and say that I never crave a ciggarrette bc I do, the cravings now are a lot fewer and further between and within a couple of minutes I have forgotten about it. This time I haven't just "stopped" smoking, I have "Quit". There is a difference, I said I "stopped" the first time bc that proved to be what it was, just stopped for a few months, if I had quit I wouldn't had went back.

 

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the info. Anyone ever use therapy/support groups for smoking? Is it effective?

http://www.stopsmoking4ever.org/

 

For the most part, we use patches... Start them off on 21 milligrams, then slowly down to 14 milligrams, then 7... And then by the end of the 12 weeks, hopefully they're not dependent on nicotine anymore.

 

Motivation is the key, though. Just letting them know that they aren't at it alone and we're all there for moral support helps more than anything.

:thumb: and I say that not to put anyone down but as now a non smoker that used to smoke. Trust me, there is no middle ground with smoking, it is addictive and one is either a smoker or non smoker.

 

I equate it in a way to an alcoholic that has been through qutting drinking. They cannot pick up another drink, is the same way with a smoker as far as going back to an addiction.

JMO and good luck to anyone that has decided to quit, it is tough to do but is well worth it.

 

I've tried to quit in the past and did for a year. I was absolutely miserable for that year and went back. As a person in recovery I almost went back to drinking while not smoking and knew my mind was going places it didn't need to be going. I've been sober over 20 years and still think about a drink, so I'm content to keep smoking my cigs and leave the alcohol alone. For those that have quit I commend you.

If this poll is any indications of what' going on in NKy, then why are the local politicians so concerned about the no smoking ban. Seems to me at least it's a no brainer!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.