Euton/Jackson Appeals

I dont see how the KHSAA can tell a player/parent that moved to a new location, that the player cannot play high school basketball. I just dont understand what power they have been blessed with to make that personal decision concerning a youth game (Basketball). I do understand that option of making a player sit out a year if transferring within his own area or region, but definetly dont understand how they can control a child's life this strongly.

If they would have transferred to a small school, then I believe you would not have seen anything on this. Of course the bad part is the comments made by Euton's father about the transfer, then Jackson's mistake was relocating at the same time that Euton did and to the same location. I do feel that the KHSAA needs to keep a watch on some of this, due to stacking of Large, city schools, but that would only include a sharp look at Jackson, not Euton, because they seem to honestly transferred due to occupation.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You contradict your own statement. You say...

I dont see how the KHSAA can tell a player/parent that moved to a new location, that the player cannot play high school basketball. I just dont understand what power they have been blessed with to make that personal decision concerning a youth game (Basketball).....

I do feel that the KHSAA needs to keep a watch on some of this, due to stacking of Large, city schools, but that would only include a sharp look at Jackson, not Euton, because they seem to honestly transferred due to occupation.

Either they govern it or they don't.

This is not about academics. Never has been, never will be.

It’s all about the schools and the money. The kids are merely coal that makes that engine steam… and that is wrong… very wrong.

If it's all about the money, shouldn't they approve these transfers?

If it's all about the money, shouldn't they approve these transfers?

Sure, if it wasn't for all the schools jealous of SC's good fortune, and ticked off they may not get an equal share of the loot.

A very small percentage actually care about what's best for each of these young men, and simply can't stand to see SC benefit.

Sure, if it wasn't for all the schools jealous of SC's good fortune, and ticked off they may not get an equal share of the loot.

A very small percentage actually care about what's best for each of these young men, and simply can't stand to see SC benefit.

What are you talking about, equal share of the loot, and who specifically is ticked off.

Do you know how the loot is split up, and do you know where the loot comes from??

Give us a little lesson in loot raising 101 please.

If all my cases were as clear cut as these two, my job would be easy. :thumb:

Euton has a solid case and should be ruled eligible.

Jackson's case is as strong as Euton's if all the facts are fully disclosed and considered. Appearances can be very deceiving… and they are in this case.

I wish both young men nothing but the best.

What are you talking about, equal share of the loot, and who specifically is ticked off.

Do you know how the loot is split up, and do you know where the loot comes from??

Give us a little lesson in loot raising 101 please.

How much additional money does an outstanding science student generate for his or her school? How about a math whiz? How about artists and musicians? How many statewide organizations exist to ensure that these “academic” interests are governed and protected on a level playing field?

People can spout all kinds of lofty thoughts about how academics should be paramount, but nobody truly gives one whit about the GPA and academic advancement of either Euton or Jackson. This is 100% about not letting a competing school in a booming community benefit from the transfer of yet another quality student athlete into their system. Everyone is so against the school continuing their success athletically they are completely ignoring what might actually be in the best interests of each individual student athlete and their family in this situation.

Say what you will, but in my world, protecting the rights of individual student athletes and their families should be the top priority of any state athletic commission. Attempting to create a “level playing field” the only place it might ever remotely exist in this world, in an obvious effort to help more schools have an artificial opportunity to compete athletically against each other, thus spreading the revenues and rewards a much as possible, while completely ignoring the genuine circumstances and needs of each individual student athlete and their family. This is totally inside out IMO.

How much additional money does an outstanding science student generate for his or her school? How about a math whiz? How about artists and musicians? How many statewide organizations exist to ensure that these “academic” interests are governed and protected on a level playing field?

People can spout all kinds of lofty thoughts about how academics should be paramount, but nobody truly gives one whit about the GPA and academic advancement of either Euton or Jackson. This is 100% about not letting a competing school in a booming community benefit from the transfer of yet another quality student athlete into their system. Everyone is so against the school continuing their success athletically they are completely ignoring what might actually be in the best interests of each individual student athlete and their family in this situation.

Say what you will, but in my world, protecting the rights of individual student athletes and their families should be the top priority of any state athletic commission. Attempting to create a “level playing field” the only place it might ever remotely exist in this world, in an obvious effort to help more schools have an artificial opportunity to compete athletically against each other, thus spreading the revenues and rewards a much as possible, while completely ignoring the genuine circumstances and needs of each individual student athlete and their family. This is totally inside out IMO.

You may be right about some trying to create a level playing field. I'm not one of them because I am a realist and know that it would be impossible.

I disagree with you on the level playing field resulting in ultimate revenue sharing. Last time I checked, in a public school, competetiveness does not directly translate into increased revenues in every instance. There are teams that are very good that don't draw big crowds. Big crowds at basketball and football games is what generates income. Community interest is what generates crowds. It is how you market the product. Yes competetiveness does help.

Outside of gate, money raised is directly a result of how hard boosters work and the success of fundraising ideas. Booster money is becoming a larger share all the time.

The level playing field will not guarantee more money for every program.

We actually agree on this point, but why do you think so much effort is put into trying to level the field?
Because that is what many in America expect and want. Doesn't matter if we are talking about income, taxes, lifestyles, or sports. I guess, with some it is just a way of life.

At most schools basketball does not generate big money .I've been to many high school basketball games in the the last 20 years and only a few select games per year for most teams generate big money . In Kentucky football is King when it comes to big money .

I beleive that KHSAA rules need to be amended when dealing with transfers. The way they read they hurt more student athletes than they intend to. In this case yes the Dad said some things in the media he should not have said. Let's think about this for a minute, if someone was moving from another state and looking for a school and they had kids that plays sports or maybe is strong in band, do you not think they should look at more than just the academic side. Or would you suggest they just move and let the chips fall where they may. Any normal person is going to shop around for a school district that fits there needs before they move. So tell me what is the difference (just asking). If these kids had a legitimate change of address, and no one from Scott County can be proven to have actively recruited these kids then let them play. Just my opinion.

:thumb: