Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Euton/Jackson Appeals

Featured Replies

Personally I don't like transfers that are all, or even partly, for the reason of participation in sports. I'm a fan of a small school team (county population of around 7000). Our county has no industry to speak of and is unlikely to attract outsiders "for reasons of employment" or for any other reason. As a result the team is home grown. These kids compete against one-another in elem. school and play together in middle school and high school. Every once in a while things come together and it looks as though the team has a chance to compete for the regional title. Unfortunately, there is a regional school that is located in a larger population center that has 1-2 talented players transfer in practically every year because their parents move to that area "for work". Due to this, in my opinion, the team I support looses it's chance to make a trip to Rupp. It's very disheartening to the kids and the fans.

I'm sure there are many schools who face this sort of situation. Generally these are smaller schools with little chance of going to state. The fans of these schools will most likely never support the idea of transfers when these transfers seem to most often be tallented players to big schools with winning records! On the other hand, the fans of those teams who frequently benefit from transfers seem very supportive of the idea. I don't think arguing on here is likely to change many minds!

  • Replies 132
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Austin Flannery, the third member of Euton/ Jacksons AAU team that transferred to Scott County about the same time, is he eligible?[/quote]

 

No.

 

Is his case being appealed?

As a parent, if I am going to relocate, I am going to transfer my child to the school that I feel will be most beneficial to him based on the circumstances. Some of the reasons could be academics, band, safe school, athletics, etc. I don't think anyone who has an exceptional student would transfer him to a school that is underachieving or below standards. The same is true for athletics. If I'm going to move and my child is an exceptional athlete, I'll relocate to the school district that will be most beneficial to my child. I think that is a "no-brainer". We will never know all the reasons why families transfer just those that have surfaced, speculated, or fabricated. IMO, if the families relocated into the Scott Co. school district, let the kids play. Additionally, I don't have a "dog in this fight" or any ties to any of the schools involved, just an interested bystander.

As a parent, if I am going to relocate, I am going to transfer my child to the school that I feel will be most beneficial to him based on the circumstances. Some of the reasons could be academics, band, safe school, athletics, etc. I don't think anyone who has an exceptional student would transfer him to a school that is underachieving or below standards. The same is true for athletics. If I'm going to move and my child is an exceptional athlete, I'll relocate to the school district that will be most beneficial to my child. I think that is a "no-brainer". We will never know all the reasons why families transfer just those that have surfaced, speculated, or fabricated. IMO, if the families relocated into the Scott Co. school district, let the kids play. Additionally, I don't have a "dog in this fight" or any ties to any of the schools involved, just an interested bystander.

 

I'm with you 100 percent!! :thumb:

They will both be playing for a state championship at Scott. Co. when the reg. season rolls around. Rose hill does not have a chance. The question should be who will be playing for runners up!

Amazing, though, how Scott County seems to land most of the high-profile transfers ... I simply don't think it's a coincidence.

 

 

And I think your probably right.:thumb:

I say let them play. I bet 10 yrs from now there will be a thread about some young stud from lexington coming to Rose Hill to play football because his dad got transfered to AK Steel or Marathon. Well...maybe not, but it sounded good.

Edited by Ram
Rule 4

I'm not going to get on this message board and bash a school but I have my reasons.

 

And that's fine that you have your reasons and as a parent make that choice. Which to me is the WHOLE issue here. Forget about this case in particular and look at the issue generally. As a parent, do you want the KHSAA to totally take your parental right of choosing the best high school for your child away from you when you make a legitimate change of residence (and I'd hope that most reasonable and open minded people would agree that losing your job in one area of the state and being forced to move to another part of the state to find another job to provide for your family is a legitimate change of residence)? And for the KHSAA to take that parental right away under the "Don Quixote" like guise of trying to level the playing field?

 

Look as a Highlands grad and fan, I'm "into" winning state championships as much as anyone. But when the rationale of the KHSAA for gutting parental rights is to make sure that no team has an unfair opportunity to win state championships, I think to myself: enough is enough. Not only is the KHSAA succumbing to the pressures of the schools to squash transfers, they are in more cases than not, adversely affecting the stronger programs that often have the successful programs that kids and parents are attracted to. Kind of a dumbing down of athletic programs. I'll repeat my oft stated mantra of: if a school isn't happy with kids transferring from it, look in the mirror and ask yourself why? In many situations it will be because that the schools failed to put the emphasis on its athletic programs that other schools do. And I fully realize that some schools cannot put more emphasis on sports for legitimate reasons.

 

But in my mind, that is not a legitimate reason to deny parents the right to choose the best high school for their children. Again, coming from a Highlands guy you may find this to be heresy, but winning state championships should not be what high school athletics is all about. High school sports should be about developing friends, developing teamwork and camaderie, working as hard as you can to become the best players and team possible, committment, hard work and discipline. If those things happen, who cares about whether your child won a state championship or not?

 

My elder son did not win a state championship his senior year; rather a private school, CovCath did. Was I and he disappointed? You betcha we were. But if winning a state championship meant not having to play CovCath or depriving the parents of kids at CovCath the right to send their kids to CovCath, I want no part of that state championship and I believe my son would agree with me. Besides, my son learned some very great life lessons from playing football at Highlands that will stay with him in his adult life much, much longer than the joy he would have experienced at Papa Johns had he won state.

 

Many school administrators complain about parents losing the proper perspective of sports as Mr. Sears did in the Louisville forum (see the other thread). He may want to remember his own advise.

Excellent points LN.

 

I would only add that any adult determined to see a child denied the opportunity to participate for a full season (of only four possible in an entire lifetime) of any given high school sport because his/her family moved into a new school district is placing far more emphasis on "athletics" than that child's family ever could.

 

The "they can't be allowed to move for anything at all to do with sports" crowd are the very same people using "sports" as their platform and weapon.

 

Squash recruiting, punish member schools and their paid representatives for cheating, but quit trying to control the lives of parents and children... (...even the goofy ones...) especially with rules that are far too arbitrary in how they are interpreted and applied.

 

It all seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Rose hill does not have a chance.

 

Wow! Your really going out on a limb predicting that one. Considering that they lost 3 starters and will have a new coaching staff as well.

Baby Powder works for chaftness.

Oh, make no mistake, I'm not chafed. I just think your retorts and disdain for Rose Hill is classic. And for what it's worth, I don't have a dog in this fight. You don't know the names of the Jackson boys with the exception of Chad. You more than likely have never uttered a word to any of them. If the article hadn't mentioned Joy as the mother's name, you wouldn't have known it either. So to pretend you have some insider info because you heard it from someone who was speculating like the rest of the paranoid 16th region was is again, comical. And you have made no bones about how you feel about Rose Hill. I recall this post from the original Jackson thread:

bobbyearl
All District

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 428


icon1.gif

Quote:
TheMole

You blew it at no dog line, your a Rose Hill supporter. Should have ended that short novel with "WAKE UP AMERICA" EARL PITTS OFF

user_offline.gifinfraction.gif report.gif ip.gif progress.gif

And it's no secret your allegiance lies with a district foe. And please, we've also been down that road with players "not from Boyd Co." like Frank Lee and so on. If you'd like to PM me and talk about what you think you know, feel free.

What about Austin Flannery, the third member of Euton/ Jacksons AAU team that transferred to Scott County about the same time, is he eligible?[/quote]

 

No.

 

As I understand, and I have spoken with someone who should know, no official ruling has been give on Flannery as of yet.

 

So I wonder where you heard this?

I Watched them play this summer and your right they looked a little rough around the edges but they have all the peices and I am sure they will put it together. And yes I know its just summer games but one could only imagine??

Wow! Your really going out on a limb predicting that one. Considering that they lost 3 starters and will have a new coaching staff as well.
Excellent points LN.

 

I would only add that any adult determined to see a child denied the opportunity to participate for a full season (of only four possible in an entire lifetime) of any given high school sport because his/her family moved into a new school district is placing far more emphasis on "athletics" than that child's family ever could.

 

The "they can't be allowed to move for anything at all to do with sports" crowd are the very same people using "sports" as their platform and weapon.

 

Squash recruiting, punish member schools and their paid representatives for cheating, but quit trying to control the lives of parents and children... (...even the goofy ones...) especially with rules that are far too arbitrary in how they are interpreted and applied.

 

It all seems pretty hypocritical to me.

 

 

 

You and LN have it exactly right and that comes from a small school coach who routinely loses "in-town" athletes to neighboring schools both public and private. There is no panacea for all the ills of high school athletics and the whiners need to quit trying to find one! Want to make it simple? Apply the existing rules, classify all sports, stop placing ALL the emphasis for correcting cheating on transfers, then accept that it is as good a system as you can get and work with the results. Parents have rights too!!!

You and LN have it exactly right and that comes from a small school coach who routinely loses "in-town" athletes to neighboring schools both public and private. There is no panacea for all the ills of high school athletics and the whiners need to quit trying to find one! Want to make it simple? Apply the existing rules, classify all sports, stop placing ALL the emphasis for correcting cheating on transfers, then accept that it is as good a system as you can get and work with the results. Parents have rights too!!!

Well said!:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.