Are all sins equal?

I asked this in another thread, but got no response, so I decided that it was probably best asked in a new thread anyway.

Does God "see" levels of sin? If, when I die, if I have stolen money from someone, and have not repented, am I destined for Hell? What if I have murdered someone, but have repented?

What if, in both cases, I have not repented? Will there be different levels of Hell, or does God see all sins as equal?

My religious background is scattered, and that may be where my confusion comes in. I was raised Catholic until I was 5, then attended both a Baptist and a Wesleyn Church off and on. Somewhere along the way I picked up the idea that all sins were equal and if when you died, you had not asked for forgivenness for all of your sins, you were destined for Hell.

However, I get the impression in threads on here that my thoughts on this might be inaccurate. Who can fill me in? I understand that a variety of different Christian denominations may believe differently. Please point out those differences to me.

Disclaimer: I have neither stolen money from anyone, nor have I committed murder. Those were just examples. :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've basically been in the Christian church and soft Pentecostal churches all my life, and in my area of living I've always heard that if the sins you haven't repented then you are hell bound. I've also heard that lying is the same as murder. It is a tough thing to set my mind to though. As long as we are saved and asked forgiveness, I believe you will live amongst the clouds.

My opinion is probably much different than what you will hear from others

I don't think there are sins, I think there is SIN.

I think there is evil in the world that distracts us and keeps us from living the "eternal/full life" that God has intended for us. This is SIN - the thing that separates us from God. If I tell a lie is that a sin??? I don't know, but if I am lying because it will improve my lot in life and I am being greedy, then the greed is definitely SIN because it causes me to treat someone poorly and does not allow me to live in close association with God.

Paul tells us that everything is permissable but not everything in beneficial. Motivation is the big facture for me. That is the way that I live and pushes me. Bad motivation is SIN.

My opinion is probably much different than what you will hear from others

I don't think there are sins, I think there is SIN.

I think there is evil in the world that distracts us and keeps us from living the "eternal/full life" that God has intended for us. This is SIN - the thing that separates us from God. If I tell a lie is that a sin??? I don't know, but if I am lying because it will improve my lot in life and I am being greedy, then the greed is definitely SIN because it causes me to treat someone poorly and does not allow me to live in close association with God.

Paul tells us that everything is permissable but not everything in beneficial. Motivation is the big facture for me. That is the way that I live and pushes me. Bad motivation is SIN.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks, Ace! :thumb:

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks, Ace! :thumb:

Just so that I can be completely open an honest - what I said above is what BELIEVE with my rational thinking mind - IT IS THE WAY THINGS ARE.

However, my actions belie something in my subconcious that is anti-thetical to this belief. I suffer with guilt all the time for all kinds of various reasons. I am always "looking" for God's "punishment" for the sins that I commit when in fact the punishment IS my guilt b/c it separates me from "life eternal"/God's kingdom on earth. This is a result of unhealthy religion as I was growing up.

While I fully rely on God's grace for everyone else - I struggle with it in my life. Healthy religion/theology teaches me that God loves me even when I fall down as God does everyone else.

Matthew 1:21 because he will save people from their sins.

Luke 11: 4 and forgive us of sins as we forgive others of theirs.

1st John 1:9 if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us of our sins.

Acts 2:38 Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.

If you lust after someone its as bad sin wise as doing the lustful act.

We ask for forgiveness of our sins but supposed to not re do those sins.

You confess them on friday and think well I got until next week and do it again, as long as I come back and confess. You are fooling yourself. Go and sin no more Jesus told the women who was about to be stoned.

Well, as a cradle-Catholic, I believe there are mortal sins (those that will keep you from the face of God forever-i.e. murder), and there are venial sins (those for which you can repent and still attain Heaven, telling a lie).

I believe, HOWEVER, an otherwise venial sin can be mortal if it leads to a mortal sin...i.e.: Lying to cover up a murder.

I do not believe that all sins are equal. I believe that some are worse then others.

But I don't believe it is an efficient allocation of our spiritual resources to try and classify each and every sin and determine how God sees it. We should work to rid our lives of all sin.

I've basically been in the Christian church and soft Pentecostal churches all my life, and in my area of living I've always heard that if the sins you haven't repented then you are hell bound. I've also heard that lying is the same as murder. It is a tough thing to set my mind to though. As long as we are saved and asked forgiveness, I believe you will live amongst the clouds.

I believe all sins are equal but I also believe once saved always saved!

I love religion threads. I'm fascinated with religion. However, my fascination has kept me from choosing a faith, believing and following it. I over analyze everything dealing with religion when in all honesty it seems like a person should just pick one and follow it blindly.

I have a hard time believing that telling a lie and raping and murdering a family are equally bad in gods eyes.

This thread makes me think of my problems with the whole being baptized deal. I often wonder if it is truly necessary to be baptized. I have a very hard time believing that a man who has lived his entire life stealing and murdering (or any combination of horrible acts) would get into heaven based on the fact that he said he was sorry and was dipped in some water while a man who lived his life as a decent, giving man would go to hell based purely on the fact that he has not been baptized.

I love religion threads. I'm fascinated with religion. However, my fascination has kept me from choosing a faith, believing and following it. I over analyze everything dealing with religion when in all honesty it seems like a person should just pick one and follow it blindly.

I have a hard time believing that telling a lie and raping and murdering a family are equally bad in gods eyes.

This thread makes me think of my problems with the whole being baptized deal. I often wonder if it is truly necessary to be baptized. I have a very hard time believing that a man who has lived his entire life stealing and murdering (or any combination of horrible acts) would get into heaven based on the fact that he said he was sorry and was dipped in some water while a man who lived his life as a decent, giving man would go to hell based purely on the fact that he has not been baptized.

We've been down similar paths. You'll get there...

We've been down similar paths. You'll get there...

I hope so GT. I've struggled with this for years. I've honestly put in quite a bit of effort in learning about different types or religions and beliefs but never can commit to one.

I go to church every now and then but find myself thinking of ways the preacher and the church members have contradicted themselves the entire sermon.

I'm really bad about over analyzing things. I need to just let my guard down for once and try to accept something that doesn't have a defined explanation.

I hope so GT. I've struggled with this for years. I've honestly put in quite a bit of effort in learning about different types or religions and beliefs but never can commit to one.

I go to church every now and then but find myself thinking of ways the preacher and the church members have contradicted themselves the entire sermon.

I'm really bad about over analyzing things. I need to just let my guard down for once and try to accept something that doesn't have a defined explanation.

It happened for me after a lot of searching, and the inspiration came from a friend that I had lost touch with for years. He wasn't a member of the religion I adopted, but his words took me down the right path.

A true moment of clarity, if you will...