Are all sins equal?

Did the thief die under the old or new covenant?

The old. I am under the understanding that the New Covenant began with the day of Pentacost in Acts 2. As far as the 40 day or so period between Jesus ressurection on Sunday and the day of Pentecost I am not exactly sure about that time period.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old. I am under the understanding that the New Covenant began with the day of Pentacost in Acts 2. As far as the 40 day or so period between Jesus ressurection on Sunday and the day of Pentecost I am not exactly sure about that time period.

I don't think baptism was a requirement of the law, thus it's a nonpoint when discussing the thief.

Also, it's worth noting that thief was promised that "today" he would be in paradise with Jesus. I don't think the paradise referenced there is the same as heaven. There is scripture to indicate that, before the death and resurrection of Jesus, the righteous dead were not in the heaven that we look forward to going to. But, rather paradise was a temporary place prepared for them until the perfect work of redemption of Christ was completed.

While I'm sure some would disagree, the Bible supports that view.

I don't think baptism was a requirement of the law, thus it's a nonpoint when discussing the thief.

Also, it's worth noting that thief was promised that "today" he would be in paradise with Jesus. I don't think the paradise referenced there is the same as heaven. There is scripture to indicate that, before the death and resurrection of Jesus, the righteous dead were not in the heaven that we look forward to going to. But, rather paradise was a temporary place prepared for them until the perfect work of redemption of Christ was completed.

While I'm sure some would disagree, the Bible supports that view.

The Old Testament speaks of Sheol the Hebrew word for the place of the dead.

The Old Testament speaks of Sheol the Hebrew word for the place of the dead.

Which is part of what I'm basing the idea on...the dead, both righteous and unrighteous went to Sheol. The righteous went to Abraham's Bosom (or Paradise). And, as stated in the story of Lazarus and the rich man, there is a great gulf fixed between the two groups. I believe when Jesus accomplished his work of redemption, He took those righteous dead to heaven.

Anyway, that's not really the point of the thread, but I felt it was necessary to get my point across regarding the thief. Most people automatically assume he was in heaven when he died. After studying it a little, I think he was in Sheol (Paradise) until Jesus took him, and the rest, to heaven.