Are all sins equal?

This has been a really interesting thread.

I still can't buy into the theory that all sin is equal. I also can't buy into the once saved, always saved theory.

If anyone is interested, this is a very good explanation of the Catholic belief of mortal sin and venial sin, and why we believe it's a mistake to assume all sin is equal. Nature of sin

There are several pages, and it's not an easy read, per se. But it does explain very well the Catholic belief.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't buy into the theory that all sin is equal. I also can't buy into the once saved, always saved theory.

Got to agree with you 50% of the way.:thumb:

I think sin is sin is sin. If sin prevents us from being in God's glory and we only lie, do you believe we can be in God's glory part of the way????? Since lying is a small sin.

Agree with the once save always saved theory. Not buying it.

I do not understand the serious workings of the Holy Spirit. I only know that it is a dangerous thing to resist Him. I know this, however, that God says, "He that hardeneth his neck, being often reproved, shall suddenly be cut off, and that without remedy" [see Proverbs 29:1]. It is a dangerous thing to hear the Gospel--it is a dangerous thing to be called by God--and then refuse.

Agreed 100%......but how can one be unpardonable if all sins are equal? If all sins are equal, then resisting the Holy Spirit is equal to stealing a candy bar.

Agreed 100%......but how can one be unpardonable if all sins are equal? If all sins are equal, then resisting the Holy Spirit is equal to stealing a candy bar.

Jesus said, "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto [them]" [Matthew 12:31].

What is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? I believe that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when we reject the Spirit of God. We reject Christ over a period of time until our hearts become so hardened that we no longer know good from evil. The Bible says that "God gave them [up] to a reprobate mind" [Romans 1:28]. Three times in Romans, the 1st chapter, Paul says that God gave them up [see verses 24,26,28]. God said concerning Ephraim, "Ephraim is joined to [his] idols: let him alone" [Hosea 4:17].

Jesus said, "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto [them]" [Matthew 12:31].

What is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? I believe that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when we reject the Spirit of God. We reject Christ over a period of time until our hearts become so hardened that we no longer know good from evil. The Bible says that "God gave them [up] to a reprobate mind" [Romans 1:28]. Three times in Romans, the 1st chapter, Paul says that God gave them up [see verses 24,26,28]. God said concerning Ephraim, "Ephraim is joined to [his] idols: let him alone" [Hosea 4:17].

And there is the issue. I believe differently. Will God send one of us to . . . :devil:

In my religion classes I have taken, I was taught that there were venial sins and mortal sins. Mortal sins were like murder, rape, and so on, the "major sins". Venial sins were lying, minor stealing, and so on, the "minor sins". A sin is a sin, and I believe God does look at it that way, but He also, I believe, looks at the severity of sin and the goodness of a person's heart. God will forgive all sins, as long as the person is truely sorry I believe.

Let me throw this out there and see what reaction it gets.

Is the sin different in the case of believers and unbelievers. Follow me.

Sin that we have not asked for forgiveness for keeps us away from God. So, a believer gets saved and an unbeliever who has never accepted Christ as the sacrifice for their sin does not.

So, for the unbeliever all sin is equal because they have never asked for forgiveness.

But the believer and their sins from that point forth, how are they gauged?

It is clear that their is different rewards in heaven based upon our life here. While our salvation is not based on our works, our rewards in Heaven seem to be. Could our sins also affect our rewards?

Could committing adultery hamper our rewards where committing a lie would not hamper our rewards as much?

Let me say, I am throwing this out for discussion rather than a position I 100% believe and can support with Scripture.

And there is the issue. I believe differently. Will God send one of us to . . . :devil:

I can't answer that...its one of those things that I believe only God knows.

Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:6-9 NIV

God's thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are His ways our ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are His ways higher than our ways and His thoughts than our thoughts. Many people use this scripture to explain tragedies and to say that we cannot understand why God would kill, steal from or destroy us, because His ways are not our ways. However, we know from scripture and especially from these scriptures that God is not a destroyer, but He is a restorer! It is God's mercy, grace and forgiveness that we cannot comprehend. We cannot understand how it is that God would forgive the vilest of sinners – even mass murderers. In our mind they should pay for their sins, but if they ask God to forgive them – He will not withhold His mercy. This is the same mercy that He shows to every one of us.

Thanks be to God!

We get into trouble when we question what God says. Many people fall into the trap of saying "I know the bible says to be baptized but what if..." We shouldn't do this. God says what he means and he means what he says.

In the book of Exodus God told the children of Israel to put blood on their door and the angel of death would pass over them and spare their firstborn. If blood was not found on the door your firstborn would be destroyed. Period. What would you do? Put blood on the door or roll the dice with the life of your firstborn.

Look at the example in the book of Genesis concerning the flood. God through Noah preached of a coming flood and the need to get on the ark. Many refused to heed Noah's warnings for hundreds of years but when the door of the ark was shut and it began to rain heavily many people changed their minds and tried to get on the ark, however it was too late.

The bible speaks of the five wise virgins and the five foolish virgins. The wise virgins brought extra oil for their lamps but the foolish ones didn't. When the bridegroom came the foolish virgins were gone looking for oil and they were shut out because they were not prepared. We need to be prepared for the Lord's coming.

Finally, in the parable of the rich man and Lazursus, the rich man has passed on and is in torment. He wants for his tongue to be cooled by water or for someone to warn his brothers but his requests aren't answered because it is too late.

My point is that God says what he means and he means what he says so we need to take him at his word. There are so many verses speaking of the need to be baptized, some I have mentioned in a previous post. Why gamble with your eternal salvation?

This is a good question about a hard issue. My understanding on the passage, and I could be wrong, is that blasphing the Holy Spirit means rejecting his word. Since creation God sent many different aids to help man. In the OT he sent prophets, he even sent his son Jesus Christ, now we have the bible which God wrote through men who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. If we reject or refuse to believe scripture there is nothing else coming after it that we can accept that will lead us to heaven.

Respectfully disagree AL-I don't feel Jesus gave a free ride to the thief.

This thief was neither baptized nor partook of the Lords supper he believed and was promised to be with Jesus. He did no works but only believed.

Did the thief die under the old or new covenant?

In my religion classes I have taken, I was taught that there were venial sins and mortal sins. Mortal sins were like murder, rape, and so on, the "major sins". Venial sins were lying, minor stealing, and so on, the "minor sins". A sin is a sin, and I believe God does look at it that way, but He also, I believe, looks at the severity of sin and the goodness of a person's heart. God will forgive all sins, as long as the person is truely sorry I believe.

Did they give you scriptural reference to back this up?