Are all sins equal?

So, Peter who remember was freshly anointed with the Holy Spirit was wrong about his call to repent and be baptized.

So, you are saying both Peter and the Holy Spirit were wrong in Acts when he answered the crowd on what they needed to do?

Are you saying that Jesus was wrong? It my Bible those words in Matthew 25 are in red, must be HIS words then.

Even if you don't go with Matthew 25, the most famous "get saved" verse in the Bible says nothing of Baptism. How do you just simply dismiss John 3:16? Especially if you take the Word literally.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. I am not debating that the wages of sin is death and if you have not been cleansed of your sins you will not be saved. However, Jesus mentioned that those who handed him over were guilty of a "greater sin." Jesus also said that he that causes a little one to stumble should have a millstone cast around his neck and should be throne in the sea. Also the NT speaks of an unpardonable sin (blashpeming the Holy Spirit). But that is a whole debate within itself. The NT also speaks of those who will punished with many stripes but the servent who did so in ignorance would be punished with few. I don't have my bible with me but if anyone wants verses I will be glad to provide them.

Be that as it may, I would say that yes all sin is the same as to it seperates us from God, but even Jesus himself classified a sin as a greater sin.

Edited by Trojans
spelling

I love religion threads. I'm fascinated with religion. However, my fascination has kept me from choosing a faith, believing and following it. I over analyze everything dealing with religion when in all honesty it seems like a person should just pick one and follow it blindly.

I have a hard time believing that telling a lie and raping and murdering a family are equally bad in gods eyes.

This thread makes me think of my problems with the whole being baptized deal. I often wonder if it is truly necessary to be baptized. I have a very hard time believing that a man who has lived his entire life stealing and murdering (or any combination of horrible acts) would get into heaven based on the fact that he said he was sorry and was dipped in some water while a man who lived his life as a decent, giving man would go to hell based purely on the fact that he has not been baptized.

I would recommend just reading the bible and doing what is says. God knows so much more than I do so I just try to listen to him. As far as picking a, quote unquote religion, I would say to just find a church that is doing what the bible says to do. Go to the church that Jesus built. Jesus said "upon this rock I will build MY church."

When the thief was granted his path to Heaven, had Christ died and been sacrificed for the thief's and our sins? Was a baptism in the name of Jesus Christ even possible at that time?

Remember later in Acts, Paul (I believe) confronts someone and asks him in whose name he was baptist. The reply, I think, was John the Baptist and Paul tells him he needs to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

How could the thief be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ if Jesus had not already died on the cross and arisen?

That is a great point.

I think some people have just taken their bibles and ripped out Mark 16:16, Acts 2:28, Matt 28:19, Acts 8:38, 1 Pet 3:21, Col 2:12, etc.

In whose eyes - Gods or mans.

God hates all sin - man's feeling about God and sin are clouded by mans bias against certain sins.

The good news is God is willing and able to forgive all sin.

So Peter was throwing in extras after giving his sermon (inspired by the Holy Spirit) and the crowd asked him what they needed to do and he "threw in the extra" of being baptized??????

The Bible also gives us an example of people who were saved before being baptized. In Acts 10:44-48, Cornelius and those with him were converted through Peter's message. That they were saved before being baptized is evident from their reception of the Holy Spirit (v. 44) and the gifts of the Spirit (v. 46) before their baptism. Indeed, it is the fact that they had received the Holy Spirit (and hence were saved) that led Peter to baptize them (cf. v. 47).

Using your thought process, than Peter was corrupted by throwing in extras minutes after having the Holy Spirit breathed into him.

No not my thought process at all. Simply stating that if baptism were necessary for salvation, I would expect to find it stressed whenever the gospel is presented in Scripture. That is not the case, however. Peter mentioned baptism in his sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:38). However, in his sermon from Solomon's portico in the Temple (Acts 3:12-26), Peter makes no reference to baptism, but links forgiveness of sin to repentance (3:19). If baptism is necessary for the forgiveness of sin, why didn't Peter say so in Acts 3?

And again, had Christ even been sacrificed and the price of our sins paid for when the promise went to the thief?

^^^Because Jesus had the authority, see below for details.

When the thief was granted his path to Heaven, had Christ died and been sacrificed for the thief's and our sins? NoWas a baptism in the name of Jesus Christ even possible at that time?Yes see your next question & my answer

Remember later in Acts, Paul (I believe) confronts someone and asks him in whose name he was baptist. The reply, I think, was John the Baptist and Paul tells him he needs to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

Not sure of the scripture you are referring to however if you look at Luke 20:1-8 which states 1 One day as Jesus was teaching the people in the temple courts and proclaiming the good news, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him. 2 "Tell us by what authority you are doing these things," they said. "Who gave you this authority?" 3 He replied, "I will also ask you a question. Tell me, 4 John's baptism—was it from heaven, or of human origin?" 5 They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Why didn't you believe him?' 6 But if we say, 'Of human origin,' all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet." 7 So they answered, "We don't know where it was from."

8 Jesus said, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things

How could the thief be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ if Jesus had not already died on the cross and arisen?

Because Jesus had the authority to do so right then and there.

^^^Look at Heb 13:20 which says, "May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep" (NIV). The Eternal Covenant is the covenant between the Father and the Son before the creation of the world, whereby the Father would give to the Son those whom the Father had chosen. That is why Jesus says things like, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away" (John 6:37, NIV). And, "And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day" (John 6:39, NIV). And, "I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours" (John 17:9, NIV).

^^^Because Jesus had the authority, see below for details.

Because Jesus had the authority to do so right then and there.

^^^Look at Heb 13:20 which says, "May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep" (NIV). The Eternal Covenant is the covenant between the Father and the Son before the creation of the world, whereby the Father would give to the Son those whom the Father had chosen. That is why Jesus says things like, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away" (John 6:37, NIV). And, "And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day" (John 6:39, NIV). And, "I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours" (John 17:9, NIV).

Okay, let's go with your argument.

Why did Jesus forgive the thief without the baptism as we see mentioned all over the Bible?

To quote you, CAUSE JESUS HAD THE AUTHORITY TO DO SO.

And yet, when a HOLY SPIRITED INSPIRED PETER begans his teaching and the crowd asks him what they need to do, he says what?????

ANYONE?????

ANYONE????? (in my best ben stein voice.)

Repent and be baptized.

Was the Holy Spirit and Peter wrong??????

Also, using your argument that baptism is not listed every place, neither, I don't think is repenting listing every place that salvation is talked about. Are you then saying we don't have to repent from our sins because it is not listed everywhere in Scripture that salvation is talked about?

I don't think you can take one or two Scriptures and definitively say, this is the way it is while ignoring a whole host of other Scriptures. Rather it seems logical to look at ALL the Scriptures where this topic is discussed and put it altogether in a plan of salvation.

If believing is all it takes, than I would expect to see the demons in Heaven who believed Jesus was the son of God. Do you expect the demons who believed this to be in Heaven? They believed.

Acts 2:38 and Jesus will forgive your sins, not the water.

Someday I want to do a thread on this verse and some more thats close in the meaning. Forgiveness of Sins. Before Jesus how did Man get his Sins Fourgiven?

Did the baptism of John the baptist take away man sins? Jesus was still around. Jesus was Baptized, he was sinless, Why did he do it? This topic was debated by some preachers and myself. They said I lost, guess what I said?

Acts 2:38 and Jesus will forgive your sins, not the water.

Someday I want to do a thread on this verse and some more thats close in the meaning. Forgiveness of Sins. Before Jesus how did Man get his Sins Fourgiven?

Did the baptism of John the baptist take away man sins? Jesus was still around. Jesus was Baptized, he was sinless, Why did he do it? This topic was debated by some preachers and myself. They said I lost, guess what I said?

Let me clarify. ABSOLUTELY, Jesus' sacrifice is what forgives our sins.

Is full emersed baptism a part of that process that Christians should participate in? I believe Scripture clearly indicates that it is.

Is it a requirement? I cannot say 100% whether it is or it ain't. Only God can say that.

But with all the Scriptures, including Peter's, that tell me I need to be baptized, only makes sense to this Christian that I do it instead of rolling the dice that all of those Scriptures that say I need to be baptized, all those times that Jesus sent out his disciples and apostles to baptize (including Judah) and a Holy Spirit inspired Peter, are simply mistaken.

On your bolded statement (I don't know how to quote people) you ask is it a requirement? God did command it in Matthew 28.

I agree with what you said BUT....if you and a lost person is in the desert and no water exists. And he accepts Christ into his heart and you were never ever able to baptize him with water and he dies, I believe he was saved.

IMO, when he has a chance to be baptized and refuses too, then I think he may be putting his salvation in jeopardy as he has not shown a servant's heart but still wanting to hold onto his choices for his life.