Anyone remember Van Leunens?

98NCCalum

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:Forgot about Grants and their restaurant. My dad loved to eat there. Seems like we went there quite frequently..And you can't forget Robertsons Restaurant which was also on the same piece of property.

Iced tea at Grants, takeout chicken dinner at Robertsons. Ahhhhh.

. . . and Brendamours was All About Sports before All About Sports. :D Man, that was a long time ago. Shame I still remember it like yesterday.

I remember the one in the Florence Mall. I believe I bought my first Jordan's there, along with my first Reebok Pumps. :D

Remember Van Leunens? Of course. Do you remember China-town or Rinks?
Wow, now you're really going way back into my childhood! Chinatown became Vanleunen's, I believe. Rinks was back by the Party Source in Bellevue. What I remember most about Rink's was their big sign withe the big yellow stars -- that always seemed to have some yellow bulbs missing in their centers.

What about Ontario's...Federle's...or the Open-Air Market?

I remember going into VanLeunens with my mom, and we always had to go next door to All About Sports to look around. ;)

I used to love All about Sports, it was Dick's prior to Dick's.
All About Sports was great, you could buy handguns at a reasonable price. :thumb:

If you remember Rinks then how about Ontario's. That used to be the Saturday shopping, Walgreen's for medicine, Rink's for groceries and Ontario's for just about anything else...and an occasional trip to Van Leunens and/or Gold Circle.
Oh yeah! That was my parents' trifecta! And don't forget Service Merchandise and/or Richter & Phillips for the pricey stuff.

Wasn't Chinatown next to a pool store over there on Dixie Highway?

You are talking about the DOWNSTAIRS of Robertsons! There was a bar down there.

Upstairs was just a burger, fries, and chicken place for us younger folk.

I remember, the Fast Food Place as being in the back! It was painted white with windows all around and a separate entrance. They had good Roast Beef and that was before Arbys. Boy, am I old!:lol:

All About Sports was great, you could buy handguns at a reasonable price. :thumb:

Back left corner if I can recall at the Erlanger one. You walked in the doors and straight ahead was the checkout counter. It was a round/oval counter in the front middle. On the right side, and going counterclockwise around the place, there was the Oakley counter, hats, sporting apparrel (baseball pants, football jerseys, etc), sporting equipment (basketball goals, wall of gloves, wall of tennis racquets, table games (ping pong, foosball), and then family outdoor games. Now the back wall and around the back left corner are a little fuzzy. I'm thinking it was fishing equipment, hunting gear, and then outdoor water sports. Then you came up to the free weights and other exercise equipment. That then led you to the shoes, which were straight ahead and slightly to the left, when you walked it (just past the front windows). In the middle, behind the checkout counter was sporting apparrel like swim suits, workout apparrel, etc.