How are you coping with rising gas costs?

UKPat02

What is everyone doing? Sucking it up? Carpooling? Bike riding? Driving less?

As for me, I've been riding my bike to work (about 3 miles) every day and running errands on my bike. I've calculated that I've saved about $10-15 in the last week in gas. Plus I'm getting exercise!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a bus rider for years, because it's expensive to own and insure two cars. But now, I walk to the grocery or ride the bus as well. I used to wait until the car was free and drive. It's only a few blocks, so that makes it good, easy walk.

I bought one of those lawn mowers that doesn't have a motor. I'm not sure what you call them, but my grandmother had one, and it's a dandy little thing!

I order online and take advantage of free shipping, or the cheapest shipping available. By going through either a rebate site, or a shopping clearance, I can get the items just as inexpensively as driving all the way out to Wal-mart.

I'm lucky to live in a very pedestrian friendly neighborhood. The other night, we walked to dinner, then to the ice cream place for dessert, then to the music store, and then back home.

We moved to the neighborhood for several reasons: When my son went to college, I needed to cut expenses to help him out. Gas started getting up to $3.00/gallon (remember that? :lol:), I wanted to be closer to a bus line, and I've always wanted to live there. As the time has passed, I have found only more and more reasons to be happy I did so.

The walking I do now gives me the opportunity to chat with my neighbors I meet. I used to live in a subdivision, and I only knew the neighbors right next to me. Now, I know people up and down my street and have met people on other streets as well. The stores and restaurants I go to know me, and I know them. I get a lot of excercise and generally just feel better about life as a whole.

I make the five minute walk to work every day now, whereas I used to walk only once a week. My wife left her job in Richmond (50 miles, round trip) for a job in Danville (20 miles, round trip). We've not cut back on store/food trips (although we never went much to begin with) because of the saved money from work.

I'm driving a lot less, even with my car that gets 36 mpg. Still may look into a bike, which would have a wonderful side benefit for a doughboy like myself.

I didn't know you served in World War I?:sssh:

I've been a bus rider for years, because it's expensive to own and insure two cars. But now, I walk to the grocery or ride the bus as well. I used to wait until the car was free and drive. It's only a few blocks, so that makes it good, easy walk.

I bought one of those lawn mowers that doesn't have a motor. I'm not sure what you call them, but my grandmother had one, and it's a dandy little thing!

I order online and take advantage of free shipping, or the cheapest shipping available. By going through either a rebate site, or a shopping clearance, I can get the items just as inexpensively as driving all the way out to Wal-mart.

I'm lucky to live in a very pedestrian friendly neighborhood. The other night, we walked to dinner, then to the ice cream place for dessert, then to the music store, and then back home.

We moved to the neighborhood for several reasons: When my son went to college, I needed to cut expenses to help him out. Gas started getting up to $3.00/gallon (remember that? :lol:), I wanted to be closer to a bus line, and I've always wanted to live there. As the time has passed, I have found only more and more reasons to be happy I did so.

The walking I do now gives me the opportunity to chat with my neighbors I meet. I used to live in a subdivision, and I only knew the neighbors right next to me. Now, I know people up and down my street and have met people on other streets as well. The stores and restaurants I go to know me, and I know them. I get a lot of excercise and generally just feel better about life as a whole.

:thumb::thumb: Great attitude!!!! Your last statement says it all.