How are you coping with rising gas costs?

UKPat02

I don't know how the folks with SUVs (especially Hummers) are dealing.

I own an SUV, a pickup truck and another vehicle as well. I am retired, so I don't drive as much as I did a few years ago. I gripe about the high prices just like everyone else.

However, I won't get rid of my vehicles no matter how high the gas prices rise.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really ought to look into a bike. But this summer is going to kill me. I have applications in to school districts from the western most part of the state to the Madison County, as of now. When I start getting calls for interviews I am going to go broke.

Even though prices continue to rise, my driving habits haven't changed at all. Whenever I need to dump some fuel in the vehicle, I spend the same amount of money everytime; so it has basically become a routine for me. When my friends and I go places, I usually offer to drive but if gas still continues to rise...that may come to a halt. I probably wont change my routine (errands, class, school) at all unless the price becomes outrageous (even though it has already, IMO).

1) I really conserve in the way I drive. I never accelerate fast or "gun it" on my vehicle. I was reading in a magazine last week, the average drive can save around $700 a year alone in certain driving habits. I can tell a difference as I can stretch out my gas fill ups an extra two or three days. That is a big difference.

2) Bought a new Brita and fill up personal water bottles for working out instead of buying the economy size case from Wal-Mart.

With all of my saved money over the summer, I am going to take it to the local 7-11 and purchase $2000 worth of quick picks and cross my fingers so I can go back to "gunning it" and buy every water bottle I see. :D

It's interesting that so many guys are neglecting and/or doing their haircuts themselves. I guess you don't realize that $15 a month can add up.

I would rather eat at home an additional time a month to offset the cost of looking like Thin Lizzy.

You just have to not make pointless trips out. I usually combine my trips to the grocery store and Wal-Mart and what not with a trip that I am out for work. I have a virtual/home office, but I am usually out in the field 3 or 4 days. Just save a little money, its not that big of a deal unless you are just a careless spender!:thumb:

I don't know how the folks with SUVs (especially Hummers) are dealing.

I have a large SUV and it is very difficult. I try to reduce my trips as much as possible, but with kids playing sports and traveling baseball and soccer, it is almost impossible. We also feel the crunch of everything being more expensive. I usually buy 3-4 gallons of milk a week and milk prices have really gone up over the last year or so. So has bread, which you notice when you buy 5 loaves at a time.

Whats the most fuel efficient car made right now ?

I've looked at a few newer Honda Civics. I know the Civic Hybrid gets around 45 mpg highway.

The Prius is the most fuel efficient right now. Look for the '09 to be slightly bigger, more stylish, and surprisingly, more fuel efficient (55mpg). As for non hybrids, I'm thinking it's the Corolla followed by the Civic. Honda is coming out with a diesel Accord next year, I think.

As for the price of gas, it hasn't changed anything I do yet. Right now, I'm living with the in-laws :creepy: so I really don't have any bills. Once we get into our new place though, there will be changes.

We try to combine trips but its not working lol. We always find our self going out again once we are home. It seems to me, now that the prices are higher the gas goes faster lol. I swear we are filling up every 3-4 days now. Its awful.

I have started car-pooling and only driving to work half the time now. I also combine trips and stay home as much as possible.

I do have a Tahoe and wish I didn't, but I also can't afford to just give it away to someone. Trust me if I could get a reasonable price for it, it would be gone. When I bought it gas was $1.39. Jim may not feel sorry for me driving it, but I feel sory for myself.