Does anyone else develop their opinions of posters based on their posts?

I love it on here! It does not neccessarly change my opinion about things, but let's me look at things from a different perspective! I admire each of the posts that are posted. If nothing else, this allows me to think differently about a topic.

:thumb:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What else do you have to form an opinion on? If BGP is all you know of a person, then any opinion you have of them is from their posts on this site, good or bad (in your view).

How could it be any other way?

What else do you have to form an opinion on? If BGP is all you know of a person, then any opinion you have of them is from their posts on this site, good or bad (in your view).

Yes, but it kind of hearkens to that old cautionary tale: Never judge a book by its cover (or the celebrity introduction).

I look at it the same way you do, but as you can tell by others' responses, some people don't look at it the way we do. I can assure you and others (as people who know me will attest), I am the same in person as my posts would indicate me to be.

Jim Schue and others that posted similar sentiments, what causes you to make posts just to see if you can get a rise out of other people or just to ruffle their feathers? I don't understand that line of thinking, but maybe you can educate me as to why you do it. Seems rather sophomoric.

What a great topic.

As far as myself. I think I am pretty much the same on here as in person. Guess that would be for some of you to answer....be nice now! :lol:

When it comes to others and their post I made opinions. Several have proven me totally wrong. Here is a few off the top of my head.

I STRONGLY disliked Gametime & RockPride when I first came to BGP. I pictured GT as a tall guy and RP as a short guy!

I pictured PepRock as a jedi:p

I didn't like Oxnard but came to find that he is a very gentle and kind man. :thumb:

I thought Birdsfan was like some "Know All Be ALL", ok I still think that. :D

I thought Rockmom was my long lost boyfriend! :lol:

I have many more to come..

I look at it the same way you do, but as you can tell by others' responses, some people don't look at it the way we do. I can assure you and others (as people who know me will attest), I am the same in person as my posts would indicate me to be.

Jim Schue and others that posted similar sentiments, what causes you to make posts just to see if you can get a rise out of other people or just to ruffle their feathers? I don't understand that line of thinking, but maybe you can educate me as to why you do it. Seems rather sophomoric.

Not necessarily. Sometimes I'll take up a position that in no way matches my real feelings, just for debate's sake. Other times it's straight-up. Mixing it up keeps me interested.

Then other times, yes, I will try to get under someone's skin, if for no other reason than to see if they can continue to argue their point without getting emotional.

Isn't that one of the goals of debating is to get your opponent off his/her game so that they're arguing from an emotional standpoint rather than a reasoned one? I don't think that's sophomoric at all. Fart jokes? Now that's sophomoric (and funny :D).

I think that some posters are much braver on here than they would be in a face to face debate. I have seen some posters get pretty nasty, depending on the topic, whereas I don't think they would be as adamant in a person to person debate.

I stick with the same sentiments and intensity on here in real life.

The only thing is, no one my age pays any attention to politics. And my one friend who does is an Obama supporter, but is voting only on the war. He is a closet conservative, so we wind up agreeing most of the time.

Not necessarily. Sometimes I'll take up a position that in no way matches my real feelings, just for debate's sake. Other times it's straight-up. Mixing it up keeps me interested.

Then other times, yes, I will try to get under someone's skin, if for no other reason than to see if they can continue to argue their point without getting emotional.

Isn't that one of the goals of debating is to get your opponent off his/her game so that they're arguing from an emotional standpoint rather than a reasoned one? I don't think that's sophomoric at all. Fart jokes? Now that's sophomoric (and funny :D).

I didn't realize that I was trying out for the debate team when I posted on here. I thought it was for the exchange of ideas and opinions. Are we keeping score, if so, I missed that in the introduction.

I didn't realize that I was trying out for the debate team when I posted on here. I thought it was for the exchange of ideas and opinions. Are we keeping score, if so, I missed that in the introduction.

I don't know that it's that formal, but you have to admit it frequently takes that format, loosely.

Just call me out, why don't ya? :irked::irked::irked:;)

I do this all the time. I am especially prone to "grouping" certain posters together because their views mirror each other so closely. LN, you really don't have anyone else in your group.

Where has Hearsay been? From his posts, I view him as the wise elder of P&R.

Well, I appreciate the compliment. Been busy at work and skiing, but had to come back to discuss Hillary's demise here on P&R.

Although, I'm not THAT elder, at least not yet. Maybe elder by some of you college kids standards.