Does anyone else develop their opinions of posters based on their posts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your just upset with the fact that he, unlike most CPAs, can string together more than two sentences. Just kidding and I really am kidding. :D

Two sentences to you is kind of like a hiccup that you didn't even realize you made, right? :D

Yes, but it kind of hearkens to that old cautionary tale: Never judge a book by its cover (or the celebrity introduction).

I don't think that's a valid comparison here...that would be more applicable if the question had been, "Do you judge other members by their name and avatar?"

As it is, we generally have numerous posts and discussions to go by.

So, regardless of what anyone may say, I think everyone on here forms opinions of other posters based on their posts if that's all they know of them. The only alternative would be to have no opinion at all on a person...

I don't think that's a valid comparison here...that would be more applicable if the question had been, "Do you judge other members by their name and avatar?"

As it is, we generally have numerous posts and discussions to go by.

So, regardless of what anyone may say, I think everyone on here forms opinions of other posters based on their posts if that's all they know of them. The only alternative would be to have no opinion at all on a person...

Wouldn't it just be better to approach it from the standpoint that we're only getting an incomplete picture; that there's more than meets the eye?

I've met a few people on here, but not most of them. I'd say that's the case with you as well. Have you assigned faces to all of them, based on their posts?

Heck, I've had people tell me they didn't think I really existed and that I was just a fictional character someone was posting in disguise behind. I've even had people say they thought GT and I were the same person, which is completely hilarious! :lol:

I guess my point is that while it's inevitable we will make some assumptions about folks based on their posts, it's important to recognize that it's an incomplete picture, or else you run the risk of being completely shocked the way Freaknasty was when he met TD.

Wouldn't it just be better to approach it from the standpoint that we're only getting an incomplete picture; that there's more than meets the eye?

I've met a few people on here, but not most of them. I'd say that's the case with you as well. Have you assigned faces to all of them, based on their posts?

Heck, I've had people tell me they didn't think I really existed and that I was just a fictional character someone was posting in disguise behind. I've even had people say they thought GT and I were the same person, which is completely hilarious! :lol:

I guess my point is that while it's inevitable we will make some assumptions about folks based on their posts, it's important to recognize that it's an incomplete picture, or else you run the risk of being completely shocked the way Freaknasty was when he met TD.

Well sure...I never said I think a person's posts on BGP gives me a complete of them. You read too much into my posts if that's what you thought.

I'd enjoy meeting anyone I've talked to on here, whether I agree with them or not. The question asked if we form opinions of members based on their posts, and the fact is, if all you know of a person is from BGP, then any opinion you have about them has to come from that.