Ok UK fans defend this one...

RowdyRedRam

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. From an article in the Courier-Journal:

ESPN has offered to place this year’s season opener between the two teams at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in its “Monday Night Football” time slot on Labor Day night. As U of L announced its full 2008 schedule today, head coach Steve Kragthorpe said the Cardinals “would love to do it” and were just waiting for UK’s approval.

But Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart told The Courier-Journal this afternoon that the Wildcats won’t agree to play that Monday night.

It seems that UK is scheduled to play the football powerhouse that is Norfolk State the following Saturday and doesn't want the week shortened too much. (U of L also has a game the following Saturday against Tennessee Tech, but is willing to accept the short turnaround to get the opportunity for the prime-time TV slot).

Barnhart already gave his reasoning, and I have no problem with it.

“We’re willing to play that game Thursday through Sunday, and we’ve communicated that to the people at ESPN,” Barnhart said. “We’re not going to play that on a Monday night and give ourselves that short turnaround on a Saturday game. We’re going to have a young team, and we feel it’s in the best interest of our program to guard that prep time and that recovery time.”

Barnhart already gave his reasoning, and I have no problem with it.

“We’re willing to play that game Thursday through Sunday, and we’ve communicated that to the people at ESPN,” Barnhart said. “We’re not going to play that on a Monday night and give ourselves that short turnaround on a Saturday game. We’re going to have a young team, and we feel it’s in the best interest of our program to guard that prep time and that recovery time.”

I see nothing wrong with that explanation at all. A Monday night game leaves no room for preparation when you play again on Saturday.

I see nothing wrong with that explanation at all. A Monday night game leaves no room for preparation when you play again on Saturday.

Well isn't it the same thing for when teams have a Saturday night game, and then turn around and have a Thursday game next? I mean if its alright to have a Thursday night game, then it should be alright for a Monday night game because its the same amount of rest. I know I would love to see them play on national tv on Monday night. I know I starting to become a little unhappy about this, with how we keep getting away from having this on national tv. A game like this is good exposure, and could really build the rivalry even more between the schools, and maybe even get people across the country wanting to see this game every year.

Well isn't it the same thing for when teams have a Saturday night game, and then turn around and have a Thursday game next? I mean if its alright to have a Thursday night game, then it should be alright for a Monday night game because its the same amount of rest. I know I would love to see them play on national tv on Monday night. I know I starting to become a little unhappy about this, with how we keep getting away from having this on national tv. A game like this is good exposure, and could really build the rivalry even more between the schools, and maybe even get people across the country wanting to see this game every year.

UK doesn't have any Thursday night games either next year. Barnhart stated he didn't want to have any short weeks with UK being a young team next year. I have no problem with that. Barnhart's job is to do what he feels is in the best interest of UK sports, and he is doing that.

Typical Barnhart.

Louisville: Would you mind doing this?

Mitch: I ain't gonna.

ESPN: Would you mind terribly?

Mitch: I ain't gonna.

Louisville: Up.

Mitch: Down.

World: This.

Mitch: That.

I think he likes to wait for someone at UofL to speak so that he can instantly scream out that whatever else he can do to complicate matters actually makes things easier on the Cats.

...then again... maybe he's on to something. If things go half as bad as they did last year, I wouldn't put it past the Cards to lose to Tennessee Tech if they aren't prepared. Hold on, I have a headache.

And I have to say tough for the poor little Wildcats. All I heard last year was that since the game was at UK, it was their prerogative to schedule it as they saw fit... well what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Well apparently the contract isn't written that way, or else I'm sure Jurich wouldn't have asked Barnhart. So I have to say tough for those poor little Cards. :D:D