Ok UK fans defend this one...

RowdyRedRam

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not take that off the table if you're doing the woe is us for UK's offense and shanking in your boots at the prospect of mighty Norfolk State, D-IAA juggernaut that they are.

At least Syracuse is a D-IA team with a tradition like a national title and legitimate NFL stars such as Art Monk, Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney. I can't believe you even compared it...

What does tradition have to do with how bad Syracuse was last year, and how high the expectations were for Louisville last year? The point is you can't overlook anyone on your schedule, no matter how easy you think you should beat them. I'm sure Michigan fans will tell you the same thing.

Sorry, but you're not winning this argument. The point is you, and every other UofL fan, player, coach, cheerleader thought there was absolutely no way that UofL would lose to Syracuse last year. Next.
It wasn't even the biggest upset of the year, last year. Syracuse is also a former national champion with an NFL presence, a BCS conference member and, oh yeah, DIVISION I-A.

It wasn't even the biggest upset of the year, last year. Syracuse is also a former national champion with an NFL presence, a BCS conference member and, oh yeah, DIVISION I-A.

You're still missing the point. Going into last year you would have borrowed as much possible as you could if someone would have given you Louisville straight up against Syracuse last year.

What does tradition have to do with how bad Syracuse was last year, and how high the expectations were for Louisville last year? The point is you can't overlook anyone on your schedule, no matter how easy you think you should beat them. I'm sure Michigan fans will tell you the same thing.
The difference being, Michigan was overrated at the start of the season but still an above average national profile college team. Louisville, for a myriad of reasons last season, wasn't. How bad was Syracuse? Well, how bad was UofL at times last season. The turn around, or overlooking, had nothing to do with it. That team was ill, and I don't mean in the good way.

You're still missing the point. Going into last year you would have borrowed as much possible as you could if someone would have given you Louisville straight up against Syracuse last year.
Not nearly as much as I would take on a game against Norfolk State...

When UK rises above 10th in SEC recruiting rankings, I'll stop. There is a reason they can't recruit like a top flight SEC school, and it has everything to do with perception...

I disagree. UK will never out recruit Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee or LSU, and playing Louisville on ESPN Classic instead of ESPN is not going to push them over the top against the other schools.

I disagree. UK will never out recruit Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee or LSU, and playing Louisville on ESPN Classic instead of ESPN is not going to push them over the top against the other schools.

You can disagree and be wrong all you want. No sweat off my brow. If you play in elite time slots with full national exposure, more kids get a look. The more kids that get a look, the more that are interested. It's a simple formula...

You got that right... :sssh:

Maybe they could settle for outrecruiting South Carolina or Mississippi State.

When UK rises above 10th in SEC recruiting rankings, I'll stop. There is a reason they can't recruit like a top flight SEC school, and it has everything to do with perception...

The difference being, Michigan was overrated at the start of the season but still an above average national profile college team. Louisville, for a myriad of reasons last season, wasn't. How bad was Syracuse? Well, how bad was UofL at times last season. The turn around, or overlooking, had nothing to do with it. That team was ill, and I don't mean in the good way.

Now let's be fair here. Michigan may have been overrated last season but I think they have a little bit better than an above average national profile. Don't you? I would think they would have an elite national profile. What is really a bigger upset: A defending 1-AA defending National Champion vs. Michigan or an 8-3 1-AA team vs. an SEC also-ran that normally ranks 10-12th in recruiting in the SEC? GT last season you were the one that campaigned so passionately for UK to play in the prestigous Sunday spot. All that being said I think Barnhard and Brooks are doing this more to get under UL's skin than out of any fear of Norfolk State. Although after the Michigan/Appy State episode last year maybe they are concerned.

Now let's be fair here. Michigan may have been overrated last season but I think they have a little bit better than an above average national profile. Don't you? I would think they would have an elite national profile. What is really a bigger upset: A defending 1-AA defending National Champion vs. Michigan or an 8-3 1-AA team vs. an SEC also-ran that normally ranks 10-12th in recruiting in the SEC? GT last season you were the one that campaigned so passionately for UK to play in the prestigous Sunday spot. All that being said I think Barnhard and Brooks are doing this more to get under UL's skin than out of any fear of Norfolk State. Although after the Michigan/Appy State episode last year maybe they are concerned.

What does this have to do with my post you quoted?

What you point out is why UK fans should be furious over these petty jabs at UL. They are turning down the chance to become bigger and better than ever to have a 5th grade spitball fight. It's silly, and beyond weak...

You can disagree and be wrong all you want. No sweat off my brow. If you play in elite time slots with full national exposure, more kids get a look. The more kids that get a look, the more that are interested. It's a simple formula...

C'mon GT. How many times did UK play on national tv last year? You and I both know that the Cats aren't hurting for exposure.

Here's the thing. How many more viewers will tune in on Monday vs. Sunday? Out of those viewers how many are undecided, big time Division I recruits? Out of those how many are suddenly going to say, "Hey if I spurn Florida and LSU I'll get to play Louisville on Labor Day on ESPN." Get real, it ain't many. What do you think go more media attention last season: UK's upset of UL, the FSU-Miami game, or the UK upset of LSU? I'll go ahead and ranke them. 1. UK-LSU 2. UK-UL 3. FSU-Miami.