White Leads Group Of 5 Hoosiers That Skip Practice

gametime

D.J. White and five other Indiana University basketball players were not at practice this afternoon at Assembly Hall.

Earlier, a person close to the team said players threatened to boycott Saturday's game at Northwestern if something happened to coach Kelvin Sampson.

The source said players will follow White's lead on whether to play.

White, Armon Bassett, Jordan Crawford, Jamarcus Ellis, DeAndre Thomas and Brandon McGee were not at practice.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS0601/80222047

Wow. Is this 1968 and we're going to have student sit-ins at the President's office next?

Seriously, I get the emotions. I appreciate the loyalty.

The stunt, though, is unacceptable. If I'm heading the team on Saturday, these players watch but do not play.

If they are following the lead of DJ White, he needs to be a leader and do the right thing and rally the troops to play, and with every ounce of effort, on behalf of Sampson.

If they believe Sampson has been unfairly treated in this situation, they are wrong. The man clearly violated a rule and is suffering the consequences.

Is there any chance Sampson has anything to do with this?

I'm hearing Sampson has set up a meeting with them tonight to encourage them to play...

As he should.

I am sticking with the conspiracy he encouraged (or at least did not discourage) today's walk-out and this will send him out like a hero sending his troops in to battle as exits stage left.

I have no grounds to back that up other than he is a shady character and it seems plausable.

I understand the players are obviously upset about their coach's situation but this is ridiculous IMO. Especially for a player like White to lead something like this. While nothing has been proven against Sampson yet, the facts are obviously there and he committed the violations.

Gordon is being more of a leader by showing up to practice. Nice move by the freshman.

Wow. Is this 1968 and we're going to have student sit-ins at the President's office next?

Seriously, I get the emotions. I appreciate the loyalty.

The stunt, though, is unacceptable. If I'm heading the team on Saturday, these players watch but do not play.

:thumb::thumb:

Tell them to take the floor or pull their scholarships. There are thousands of young men that dream to play DI basketball and never get the opportunity...

:thumb:

As I said in another thread, no time like the present to learn that you should pay for your actions, no matter how much emotion plays into it.