• Quick Recall League
  • Spanish Club
  • Future Problem Solving
  • Spanish National Honor Society
  • German Club & Honor Society

Intramural Sports

Club Sports

KHSAA Sports

Another not included on this list that I know of is a rockclimbing club.

When speaking of extracurriculars you cannot discount the non-athletic pursuits, nor the club and intramural sports. There IS a way for all students to participate in their schools extracurriculars.

• Maybe this is my bias showing, but I'm generally referring to athletics when referencing "extracurricular activities." I suspect that students would much rather have the chance to compete in interscholatic athletics than intramural activities, therefore my position.

And Trinity has all that available with only 1,400 students.

• Replies 127
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, the number of state championships that Highlands has won is much more impressive to me than those of Trinity and St. Xavier, because the Bluebirds' titles came largely when they were regularly playing against schools that were their size ... and sometimes larger.

Thank you for your support:thumb:. And no disrespect to X or T, as I have a lot of respect for those programs, I do agree with your logic.

WE wouldn't be AS dominant in TN or OH, but we would still succeed, case in point 2002 for us.....NOW, as far as Beatty going to some school in the state, and being successful, he would. Only if the kids and the community bought in, and sold out based on his plan. You see at Trinity, the kids do buy in, the school backs him, the community backs him, etc....teams that are perennially not successful have to look at themselves for change first.

WE wouldn't be AS dominant in TN or OH, but we would still succeed, case in point 2002 for us.....NOW, as far as Beatty going to some school in the state, and being successful, he would. Only if the kids and the community bought in, and sold out based on his plan. You see at Trinity, the kids do buy in, the school backs him, the community backs him, etc....teams that are perennially not successful have to look at themselves for change first.

In Tn. you would be in your own class with other private schools that offer financial aid. Take a look at their set up.

In Tn. you would be in your own class with other private schools that offer financial aid. Take a look at their set up.

They also have many more private schools (military academies, Baptist, Catholic, etc.) and their population is similar to Indiana (6 million plus versus Ky's 4 million plus).

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of a split but I still think a common sense technique to help the playing field is to put in a high school dress limit. It was awful for me to see Lexington Catholic play Bell County the two best teams in 4A and Bell County might have dressed 35 players and Lexington Catholic is dressing over 100.

Depth is so important in football and NCAA and the NFL knows this and that is why you can not dress 100 players in their leagues but in High School you can. I feel for teams who play against teams who dress this many because use Bell County for example a couple of injuries they have dropped dramatically in their talent but a team who dresses 100 players just rolls another one out there and kids do not have to play both ways which is a HUGE ADVANTAGE.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of a split but I still think a common sense technique to help the playing field is to put in a high school dress limit. It was awful for me to see Lexington Catholic play Bell County the two best teams in 4A and Bell County might have dressed 35 players and Lexington Catholic is dressing over 100.

Depth is so important in football and NCAA and the NFL knows this and that is why you can not dress 100 players in their leagues but in High School you can. I feel for teams who play against teams who dress this many because use Bell County for example a couple of injuries they have dropped dramatically in their talent but a team who dresses 100 players just rolls another one out there and kids do not have to play both ways which is a HUGE ADVANTAGE.

Since the schools are roughly the same size Bell would be the one with the issue, not LexCath.

Since the schools are roughly the same size Bell would be the one with the issue, not LexCath.

Yes, but you have no idea the amount of boys who could have applied at Lexington Catholic and was rejected? These schools are controlling their enrollements to stay in the classes they are in and LCA is doing the same so boys are being turned away. Bell County does not do this.

Yes, but you have no idea the amount of boys who could have applied at Lexington Catholic and was rejected? These schools are controlling their enrollements to stay in the classes they are in and LCA is doing the same so boys are being turned away. Bell County does not do this.

OK, time for my first post to BGP.

LexCath does not turn away applicants. In fact, the incoming freshman class for 2008-9 will probably be the largest in the school's history. As for the 100+ players dressed for games, the number dressed does not necessarily correlate to the number that see the field. The coaches at LexCath feel that the Fresman and JV players deserve to dress for varsity games as a reward for their hard work and support that help the varsity team reach its full potential. Most of these players will never be in a varsity game during the season. Also, I bet if you compared the number of players that saw action in the Bell/LC game, the numbers would be comparable.

The main difference I saw between Bell and LC was that LC started experienced senior linemen on both sides of the ball while Bell had quite a few sophomores starting. IMO Bell will be a tough game for anyone in the next couple of years as these guys mature.

OK, time for my first post to BGP.

LexCath does not turn away applicants. In fact, the incoming freshman class for 2008-9 will probably be the largest in the school's history. As for the 100+ players dressed for games, the number dressed does not necessarily correlate to the number that see the field. The coaches at LexCath feel that the Fresman and JV players deserve to dress for varsity games as a reward for their hard work and support that help the varsity team reach its full potential. Most of these players will never be in a varsity game during the season. Also, I bet if you compared the number of players that saw action in the Bell/LC game, the numbers would be comparable.

The main difference I saw between Bell and LC was that LC started experienced senior linemen on both sides of the ball while Bell had quite a few sophomores starting. IMO Bell will be a tough game for anyone in the next couple of years as these guys mature.

Does Lexington Catholic not have an admissions test like LCA does? And if this is true shouldn't we expect Lexington Catholic to be moving up in football class since they have good success in football in lower classes? It would be odd to me that all of the Public Schools in Lexington are in class 6A except for Bryan Station and Lexington Catholic like you say does not control their enrollement and they have players from Fayette County and other local counties and are "naturally" in 4A. If this is true I would expect for them to grow into 6A very soon.

For the record, the number of state championships that Highlands has won is much more impressive to me than those of Trinity and St. Xavier, because the Bluebirds' titles came largely when they were regularly playing against schools that were their size ... and sometimes larger.

Good point!! Highlands has consistently chosen to "play up" in class for many years now--First choosing 3-A when they were 2-A in size, and now choosing 5-A, when they are either small 3-A or big 2-A, I forget. Their program however has seldom been a reflection of their enrollment!!

So, Highlands winning a state championship now in 6 classes is moving to a powerhouse status while Highlands winning a state championship in a 2 or 3 class public school setting would not mean spit???

I would think the split would be 1-2 classes private, 3 classes, at least to start in public.

Why only three?? Stay with at least six, so some of the whinners can get their "championship" first!! :lol: Those first round playoffs in the private division (I assume all would make the playoffs with only 16 teams) would be fun--Let's say Trinity vs. 1-A Brossart's 2nd year program, or X vs. Beth Haven--Now that's playoff football ESPN would be interested in!!

Does Lexington Catholic not have an admissions test like LCA does? And if this is true shouldn't we expect Lexington Catholic to be moving up in football class since they have good success in football in lower classes? It would be odd to me that all of the Public Schools in Lexington are in class 6A except for Bryan Station and Lexington Catholic like you say does not control their enrollement and they have players from Fayette County and other local counties and are "naturally" in 4A. If this is true I would expect for them to grow into 6A very soon.

Lex Cath uses a placement test to determine class placements for incoming freshmen. It is not used as an admissions test. The cost of tuition, more difficult transportation, and the more discipline oriented catholic school environment keep growth from being out of control. Plus, even though kids of other faiths are accepted, it is still a school mainly for children originating from the parishes of the Diocese of Lexington, which includes those small catholic schools in nearby counties. That being said, I would not be surprised if LexCath moves up in class "naturally" in the next 5 years or so considering the growth rate.