Why not split?

kypride

I understand Beatty is an outstanding coach. I realize you are only talking about Trinity in this instance. But to say private schools excell over public because all their coaches are better is way off. I believe there are many many coaches in Kentucky that could be at Trinity or X and the wins would just keep on coming.

I am referring to St.X as well and 6A. I just talk about Beatty because of the level of success we have reached since he started coaching at Trinity. Even so Glaser has 5 titles and been a spectacular coach at St.X. At no other level do you see comparable dominance by the private schools.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am referring to St.X as well and 6A. I just talk about Beatty because of the level of success we have reached since he started coaching at Trinity. Even so Glaser has 5 titles and been a spectacular coach at St.X. At no other level do you see comparable dominance by the private schools.

But there are only 2 big private schools in KY. Lets put them in with the TN or Ohio privates and see how much dominance they have.

I understand Beatty is an outstanding coach. I realize you are only talking about Trinity in this instance. But to say private schools excell over public because all their coaches are better is way off. I believe there are many many coaches in Kentucky that could be at Trinity or X and the wins would just keep on coming.

Sometimes it is not the head coach that is the difference in the quality of coaches. Rick Pitino's greatest success at UK was not the recruiting or the wins. It was the unbelievable staff that he put together that LED to the recruiting and the wins.

I know nothing of the staffs of any of the schools mentioned but am just making an observation on coaching staffs in general.

Quality assistant coaches make the head coach look like a genius. Trust me, I had quality assistant coaches and they made me look a whole lot smarter than I actually am.

The difference is the 6A schools I mention are closer to Trinity and St.X in enrollment than the private schools I mentioned. If you are telling me that 1A Holy Cross, simply because they are a private school, has a better chance of competing with Trinity than 6A Henry Clay I will have to question your intellectual capacity.

There comes a time when numbers comes into play as well in addition with coaching.

Why haven't Paul Dunbar and Henderson county, the 2 largest public schools in the state with male student bodies that rival Trinity and St.X, been able to compete as well as some of the smaller schools in the same division?

I did not mention Holy Cross and would not expect Holy Cross staying 1A as being able to compete against T and X.

I know very little about Dunbar and even less on Henderson County to be able to comment without it being pure speculation and guessing. That doesn't seem to work well in the P & P debates, so I will bow out on that point.:sssh::D

But there are only 2 big private schools in KY. Lets put them in with the TN or Ohio privates and see how much dominance they have.

I don't see a point in this comment but to take a slam against them.:confused:

If it is meant to be a slam, that does nothing to further the debate or help sides see the other's point of view but rather furthers the discourse of the debate and hurts rather than helps.

We would struggle at first I know that for sure. The quality of football in those states is dramatically better than it is in KY across the board. Even so we would be competing for the titles and earning them would be a much harder task.

Even so we have been competitive with those programs over the last few years as we try to get to their level.

If it is meant to be a slam, that does nothing to further the debate or help sides see the other's point of view but rather furthers the discourse of the debate and hurts rather than helps.

Thank you. :thumb:

I did not mention Holy Cross and would not expect Holy Cross staying 1A as being able to compete against T and X.

I know very little about Dunbar and even less on Henderson County to be able to comment without it being pure speculation and guessing. That doesn't seem to work well in the P & P debates, so I will bow out on that point.:sssh::D

I brought them in as an example of the following: I called out the 6A schools on not being able to compete on account of their similar size to ours. I can't really call out the smaller privates on that count because most of them aren't even close to the size of the public schools in 6A. :thumb:

Why split?; Why not split?

I think that many people feel that this would be a solution to all things that are not "level". It has been pointed out time and time agian, that all of the percived advantages that some schools have do not neatly break down into a Public side or Private side. When (some) people start to truly understand this point, then maybe we might have something constructive happen to solve the percived problems in this area.

OK...4 things:

First: There is more to the success of the dominant private schools than numbers and coaching. Kids in private schools are involved in their schools. I don't have the number in front of me, but the offerings for kids to get involved in ANY activities, athletics and non-athletic, are staggering at Trinity, for example. School isn't just a place you go for 6 or so hours and then leave. These kids are encouraged to participate in extracurriculars. It's considered an important part of the school experience. They are supported by the fact that there is an extracurricular activity for just about any interest. Kids are encouraged to be a part of Trinity's success in anything. When it comes to football, this is why we get the numbers, IMO. I see similar situations at some public schools (Male for example).

Secondly, why would publics want a split? As someone mentioned earlier, there is the possibility that all bets would be off, as far as recruiting is concerned. If the random kid winds up at Trinity or X now, and someone makes a judgement that he doesn't fith the "demographic" they have in their mind of a student at those schools, it's a huge uproar. We must have done something wrong for that kid to be able to go there. What if we could offer full athletic scholarships. Not financial aid, but actual scholarships, based only on the kids ability to run the football? Imagine how that would go over.

Thirdly, the privates don't want a split for the reason that they want to dominate. If there was a split, and the private schools were forced to leave the KHSAA, they would NOT be able to just go out and schedule whomever they want, because the member schools in each state's Athletic Association are not allowed to play schools that are not in the National High School Athletic Association.

Fourth, the issue isn't that we want to dominate. The issue we have with a splith is that except in instances like LCA, the private schools abide by the rules of the KHSAA. When a private school is successful, within the rules, there are those in the public camp who assume that misdeeds are occurring. And conveniently, whenever an issue arises, there is an attitude that it's only the private schools who violate the rules, and that is simply not true.

Really? Which part am I wrong about? Member schools voted to split by about 3-1 margin and BOC voted against it. So it must be the privates I'm wrong about.

The privates don't care who they play (private or public). Privates want to play...that simple. Most of people whining is the publics. My personal opinion...seperate I could careless. It won't solve much. It will develop a few powerhouses with the public system and then who are you going to blame! Mean while we will sit back and laugh! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

By the way...there is one selfish reason I would like to seperate. :lol::lol: I would like to see a T and or X be able to compete in basketball. While T has made some leaps...still can't seem to get get it done. Oh wait...maybe they aren't working hard enough!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not a slam at all. He talked of dominance. There are only 2 big privates in KY. If there where more schools T and X size as in TN and Ohio T and X would still be very good and compete for championships but they would not be as dominate as they are in KY.

The privates don't care who they play (private or public). Privates want to play...that simple. Most of people whining is the publics. My personal opinion...seperate I could careless. It won't solve much. It will develop a few powerhouses with the public system and then who are you going to blame! Mean while we will sit back and laugh! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

By the way...there is one selfish reason I would like to seperate. :lol::lol: I would like to see a T and or X be able to compete in basketball. While T has made some leaps...still can't seem to get get it done. Oh wait...maybe they aren't working hard enough!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So what was I "WAY" wrong about. Publics want to split and privates don't care. I personally don't care if you sit back and laugh. Just do it in your own division.

1, 2, 4 sound good reasonable concerns and points RM.

On #3 though, I have a question, why would the privates have to leave the KHSAA?

LBBC, if the KHSAA adopted your proposal, I don't think the Private schools would have a big problem as compared to a straight split.

With a straight split, we would still be in the KHSAA, but there would be some feeling that we are "not getting our money's worth", and would push to leave, feeling that even more exposure for the programs on a national stage could be built.