Why not split?

kypride

Only boundaries I would agree too as a Catholic would be the limits of hte Archdiocese of Louisville. The Catholics schools of Louisville are here for the local Catholic community and anyone in that vicinity who wants an education there.

I agree. I was trying to make the point that a boundary wouldn't be practical between T & X. Their mission is the same as that for LexCath within the Diocese of Lexington.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Pep and Blue that my proposal DID NOT limit you drawing students from anywhere. You could draw them from Pikeville or St. Louis, Missouri, it only meant that you would compete in the open class and not the closed class.

Just curious, but would you make public schools who allow their teachers/employees kids to attend and play sports, but live out of district, to play in the open class also?

Does Lexington Catholic not have an admissions test like LCA does? And if this is true shouldn't we expect Lexington Catholic to be moving up in football class since they have good success in football in lower classes? It would be odd to me that all of the Public Schools in Lexington are in class 6A except for Bryan Station and Lexington Catholic like you say does not control their enrollement and they have players from Fayette County and other local counties and are "naturally" in 4A. If this is true I would expect for them to grow into 6A very soon.

LC does not have an "admissions test" qualifying students for admittance...they do conduct a "placement exam" to help determine on what academic level the prospective student (not athlete) is best prepared and then suggest a curriculum for he and his parents to consider. The school places no limits on enrollment (especially since successful completion of the second floor a few years ago)...back in the early 90's the school's student population was around 300 and is pushing 900 now.

I usually tend to stay away from the public/private debate, but i was bored and i decided to read some threads. My stance seems to be not widely held by public school supporters.

I went to Boyle County and like Highlands, we take great pride in our state championships and accomplishments. I feel that i take more pride knowing the fact that we beat anyone and everyone that had a claim to our class (whether it be AA or AAA) championship. That included many private schools including, Lexington Catholic and Covington Catholic. I would feel slighted if the only reason we won was because a private of comparable size was in another division. We didnt whine and complain about LCHS or CCHS's perceived advantages, because on the football field none of that mattered.

If the KHSAA decided that we were of comparable size to X or T, then there would have been nothing but just lacing up the cleets (i know this doesnt matter but our freshman teams have been fairing well against the big 2s). Coach Smith believed that hard work and dedication could change anything, and i believe that also. X and T are like the Yankees and Red Soxs of baseball, sure their advantages make them the target of everyone's hatred, but instead of kicking them out, it should just force the publics in 6A to improve their programs. Honestly, IMO their isnt an outstanding program in 6A throughout the state (besides X, T, and Male) and maybe thats the reason why the Louisville privates have their way?

Then again, im relatively young and i will be the first to admit i dont understand all the issues, but i thought that i might as well throw my opinion out there.

Just curious, but would you make public schools who allow their teachers/employees kids to attend and play sports, but live out of district, to play in the open class also?

Okay I have pondered it and I think you have to allow it but with specific rules involving it. The job would have to be an established job. Opening in the English department where you have had 4 English teachers in the past, have 3 on staff and need a fourth.

Having 4 on staff and then creating a 5th English teacher spot, doesn't count. The kid would be ineligible. You could appeal and show via numbers that you are in desparate need of that 5th English position. NOT borderline but a clear need based upon student-teacher ratio that is setup by the KDE.

The key being is that the position has to have been employed by the district before the hiring and cannot be a created NEW position.

The reason I say yes is that the schedules of the child and the parent could become such a hassle that it puts an unnecessary strain on raising that child and letting them participate in school activities.

For example, child's school is out of snow and parent's is not. Child's is on an alternative school calender and out 2 weeks in the fall when the parent's is not.

The Child's school is dismissed early for some reason and the parent's is not.

All reasonable situations.

Any child presently attending their parent's school district would be grandfathered in.