Why not split?

kypride

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the comment about Highlands fans: I don't dare say that I represent the view of all Highlands fans, but I wouldn't think our championships would mean as near as much if we weren't playing the best schools our size regardless of whether they are public or private. True that we win our championships while not playing X and T, but anyone who knows spit about football realizes that size does matter.

We have obviously been able to overcome certain size disadvantages, but we need to be honest about things. In most years, the size advantage of X and T, combined with their excellent coaching and committed players, would present problems for us. While we have great coaches and committed players, the size differential is tough to overcome. I think we could be competitive, but beating them would be a huge upset. Take the 06 game against X for example. We were beating them at half. In the second half their depth and our lack thereof (made even worse due to the injuries from Elder the week before and the non injury loss of two starters) was the difference in that game. I believe that if we had to pick our best 22 vs their best 22 we'd more than hold our own against them. Our championships are not lessened by not playing X or T. Our championships would be lessened if we did not play privates our size.

For the record, the number of state championships that Highlands has won is much more impressive to me than those of Trinity and St. Xavier, because the Bluebirds' titles came largely when they were regularly playing against schools that were their size ... and sometimes larger.

For the record, the number of state championships that Highlands has won is much more impressive to me than those of Trinity and St. Xavier, because the Bluebirds' titles came largely when they were regularly playing against schools that were their size ... and sometimes larger.

Just for that we won't save you a seat next year. :p

Also true.

So instead of working harder they need to get bigger. :lol:

True ... if the goal is strictly a state championship football team.

For a myriad of reasons, both educational and social, I don't think "bigger is better" is the right philosophy.

True ... if the goal is strictly a state championship football team.

For a myriad of reasons, both educational and social, I don't think "bigger is better" is the right philosophy.

I actually posted this in another thread, in reference to Boone County's insistence on building new schools when they reach around 1200 students, and felt it appropriate here too.

I think one of the things that baffles me about all of this is why are they building new schools when they could just as easily, and probably for far less money, expand their current facilities and hire more teachers? That is what we have done and it has worked very well for us. It isn't the number of students in the school that makes the difference educationally it is the number of students to teachers.

I dunno, you didn't speak too highly of Will Stein either... :irked:
I never said he wasn't a good quarterback. I simply said that he didn't look like a Mr. Football-caliber player to me.

And I'm not disparaging Trinity's program. Their success speaks for itself. But I think Highlands' history and record is more impressive.

I actually posted this in another thread, in reference to Boone County's insistence on building new schools when they reach around 1200 students, and felt it appropriate here too.
Point taken, but my preference for midsize schools has as much or more to do with extracurricular activities than it does academics.

Point taken, but my preference for midsize schools has as much or more to do with extracurricular activities than it does academics.

You can offer more extracurriculars in a larger school with more potential moderators than in a smaller school, or am I missing something here.

You can offer more extracurriculars in a larger school with more potential moderators than in a smaller school, or am I missing something here.
My concern is more about the opportunity for more students to participate in extracurricular activities. There will be more student participation in two schools of 1,250 students than in one school of 2,500 students.

My concern is more about the opportunity for more students to participate in extracurricular activities. There will be more student participation in two schools of 1,250 students than in one school of 2,500 students.

I disagree.

• Axiom Literary Magazine
  • Drama Club
  • Trinity Singers
  • Speech Team
  • Trinity Jazz Band
  • Trinity Theatre
  • Yearbook Journalism
  • Drum Line
  • Echo Newspaper
  • Film Club
  • Literary Book Club
  • Music Club
  • Photography
  • Beta Club

• French Academic Team
  • Governor’s Cup Teams
  • Governor’s Scholars
  • Governor’s School for the Arts
  • Math League
  • National Honor Society
  • Quick Recall League
  • Spanish Club
  • Future Problem Solving
  • Spanish National Honor Society
  • German Club & Honor Society

Intramural Sports

Club Sports

KHSAA Sports

Another not included on this list that I know of is a rockclimbing club.

When speaking of extracurriculars you cannot discount the non-athletic pursuits, nor the club and intramural sports. There IS a way for all students to participate in their schools extracurriculars.