Football playoff setup is messed up!!!!

If you look at all the teams in 4A, and how they have done for say the last 5 or 6 years, the 4 teams I have named are the best programs.

Who cares about 5 or 6 years ago ... you claimed the 4 best teams in 4A were on the same side ... they aren't.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked the static playoff system. I like the Regional (Quarter Finals) rotating districts. I don't like the inter-district first two rounds. Personally I would like to see the districts cross over in the first round and rotate from year to year. It will work out better some years and worse in others.

For example: Russell and Mercer would have met in the Regional finals last year instead of the State Championship. But on the other hand, we would have had a better 4A match up last year in the old system. IMO the 4A match-up was the only game that didn't have the 2 best teams in their class playing.

Correct me if Im wrong on the 3rd round matchups but how about Prestonsburg traveling to LOUISVILLE Desales for a REGIONAL championship game. Just how far away from each other are these two teams and they're playing for a regional championship.

I agree and if I had to travel that great distance I would be a little critical of the set-up. It is crazy to travel that distance when there are How many schools they pass that they could play on the way to Louisville? Just glad I do not have to travel to see a game. I am sure every school will have there turn at traveling during the playoff. I read someone say that the districts rotate each year.

Correct me if Im wrong on the 3rd round matchups but how about Prestonsburg traveling to LOUISVILLE Desales for a REGIONAL championship game. Just how far away from each other are these two teams and they're playing for a regional championship.

It's > 4 hrs. by school bus.

It was a number of years ago, but I remember Lawrence Co. having to travel to Mayfield (twice as far !!) for a Semi-State game.

Ya do what ya gotta do, though... ;)

The way the matchups goes is really messed up! For 1 thing in 4A in 1 region, the 4 best teams on average are in:banana:

I have a hard time believing that this is done in all fairness without trying to set things up to make certain programs happy.

We are happy in Ft. Thomas.

Stickymitts, I agree. Play the game and if you don't win go home. It wasn't your year. If you think about it, it might save your athletic program some money in the long run. They won't have to pay for transportation an extra week. The playoff system in KY has never been set up for the "best teams" to reach the final. Should we set-up the play-offs like other states. Just let the top 10 teams play. KY play-offs in football, basketball, and baseball are great, in that they give "ALL" schools the oppertunity to play and win a championship. Just show up and bring your "A game" every week and win. Good luck in the playoffs.

I am not for or against the new system vs. the old system, but I'll throw two cents in (not sure it's even worth that much!)

The new draw system, I think, keeps things interesting as to who can beat who every year. You never know who will be up in a certain district playing in the 3rd round against a team they've never played before. The unfamiliarity of the teams can make things fun, and who knows what can happen then. The downside is travel, but atleast you don't have to travel a great distance the first two rounds...no matter what you eventually have to travel a great distance...that's just how it goes. If Ballard Memorial made it to Papa John's I don't think they would complain about the bus ride! Neither should the teams playing in rounds 3 or greater!

However, the old system did foster rivalries, but also exploited obvious year in and year out butt kickings! The postive I can say now is that perhaps district rivalries can grow when you have to play twice a year. Hopefully that will equal bigger crowds in the future which may help teams that would normally spend a bunch of money in travel to get killed and not come close to breaking even due to travel and lack of bringing a crowd, perhaps break even or bring home a few extra dollars due to gate split. No system is perfect, but atleast the KHSAA is willing to examine how things are done and make a change (maybe not the change everyone wants, but a change none-the-less)

Either way gang, we are fortunate to live in a country that fosters competition, allows us to play the greatest game in the world, and speak freely about how much we hate, love, or are indifferent to it. I sure am glad to get to watch some more football this Friday night...even if the system isn't perfect-then again what system is?!

Good luck to all those left in the playoffs.:dancingpa

Back in the day we (Lawrence Co) had to play at Mayfield in the final 4. That is one record that will probably never be broken as far as traveling for a playoff game. You are talking about the WV/Ohio border all the way to almost Mizzo! We lost by 3 in the final four there but it was a heck of a trip.

With travel being an issue and the school with the home field should have an advantage in that traveling on a bus for more than and hour could take a little something out of the players I like the idea of a different approach.

Allow Districts to play adjacent districts in their class (1vs3, 2vs4). Once they move out of district play the teams move to a neutral field as close to 1/2 way as possible. The gate gets split 3 ways, with 1/3 going to the host school (although this would probably be supported only if the host school wasn't playing that night).

I have a hard time believing that this is done in all fairness without trying to set things up to make certain programs happy.

There you go. HHS, Trinity, X, Beechwood, NewCath, CovCath, Bowling Green, .... all get easy games sent there way. That's the way it's set up for the big boys to not have to play anyone too tough to win State.:rolleyes::laugh:

It's taking away any point of reference/history for regional champions. You could play in Region 2 one year and Region 3 the next, plus it's way too confusing for the average fan. Most of them still don't understand it.

It's taking away any point of reference/history for regional champions. You could play in Region 2 one year and Region 3 the next, plus it's way too confusing for the average fan. Most of them still don't understand it.

In a way you are right. But truthfully, are there any points of reference in a sport that is reclassified every two to four years? Teams change classes, districts, etc. due to enrollment shifts. Those historical comparisons, in one opinion, are only relevant if the alignment is static. For example, there was about a 30 year period where basketball's alignment was fairly static. To me, in 2005 or so when the wholesale change was made, it sort of "resets" records and history.

But I will agree on one thing without a doubt. Most people don't understand it and have to check the bracket pairings regularly to be sure who they play. From a coaching standpoint though, it is great. You truly have to focus one game at a time.

The other thing this new system did as I observe, is make you play well in all district games. You don't think the regular season means anything? Look at some of the teams who had to play on the road this week and next.

There you go. HHS, Trinity, X, Beechwood, NewCath, CovCath, Bowling Green, .... all get easy games sent there way. That's the way it's set up for the big boys to not have to play anyone too tough to win State.:rolleyes::laugh:

I would argue just the opposite. It appears to be set up to let certain teams AVOID these types of teams and give some formerly less successful teams a false sense of program progress.