Joe Nuxhall Passes Away

mcpapa

When I was a kid my Grandfather always had season tickets. He would take me to the games early and on several occasions Joe would gather some of us kids into a semi-circle and tell stories. I've never forgotten this and will always remember joe with great affection. God bless Joe's whole family.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most of the Reds community, I've really had a hard time with losing Joe. His voice on the radio had a profound impact on my childhood, and also a direct impact on those dreams you have as a kid wondering about the path your life will walk.

I've tried to type a response to his passing a few times, and I can't seem to fight the tears the memory of his legacy produce. To a man that touched me and everyone I love all I can say is thanks and RIP Joe... :cry:

I've got a few pics someone sent me here at work, but they're too big. Here's one from the local news station from this morning. Since then, there's been much more stuff placed by the statue. I'll be heading out here soon, and I'll check it out again.

Original.jpg

Just now getting back to this thread. Thank You very much.

Like most of the Reds community, I've really had a hard time with losing Joe. His voice on the radio had a profound impact on my childhood, and also a direct impact on those dreams you have as a kid wondering about the path your life will walk.

I've tried to type a response to his passing a few times, and I can't seem to fight the tears the memory of his legacy produce. To a man that touched me and everyone I love all I can say is thanks and RIP Joe... :cry:

Great Post GT.....

Like many others I am sure, I don't know how many school nights I stayed up way to late when I was younger listening to the game called by Joe and Marty. He is what made not only Reds baseball, but baseball for me growing up. He has been missed since he left the booth and will be missed even more now.

I was on a retreat and we had split the group into girls and guys for an activity, at the end someone made an announcement about his death and there was just a silence for about five minutes. Many of the guys were from this area, so you could tell he has had an impact on many of us. R.I.P Joe and as gametime said, Thanks.

Hard to believe he's gone but he's in a much better place now. I only really met him in person once, he signed my Maker's bottle earlier this year at Turfway Park. This was right after a chemo treatment, he didn't have to be there but he was, and other than looking sickly he was far from being depressed. We can all learn something from Joe, when noone's said a negative thing about you, you've done some good things in life.

I was definitely one of many many many young men in this area who literally went to bed listening to Marty and Joe all throughout my childhood. I remember getting my first Walkman and literally falling asleep with the headphones on listening to those two.

His call of the 1990 WS game 2 is one that I will certainly never forget.

Joe, in the background, yelling, GET OUTTA HERE GET OUTTA HERE!!! ALRIGHT!!! is one of those little things that he did that endeared him to all of us.

He wasn't the most polished announcer and that's what made him one of us. He was a fan, a friend and great man and he will be missed for a long time to come!

RIP Lefty!