Football & Parents

lungbuster

I heard a lady @ the market telling the cashier that her son would never play sports especially football because she was afraid he would get hurt. As you look around the state numbers are dwindling overall and they are many different reasons. However, IMO the injury issue shouldn't be one of the causes for this down turn. If I were guessing I would say that this lady and many others with this attitude are the same parents who purchase these kids at least one of the following IF NOT ALL THREE! A gun for hunting? A motorcycle/ 4-wheeler or a Car if and when the kid turns 16! Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy or am I way out of line? Lastly, I understand the possibility of a kid getting hurt but the advantages of being involved by far outweigh the disadvantages. Kids need to be involved in something!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mom's have been that way forever. I took 6 stitches above my eye in the 7th grade and told my coach he would have to go in and talk to my Mom or I wouldn't get to play anymore. My Dad worked 2nd shift at the time and would've changed her mind, but it did help having coach talk to her. I think soccer has hurt football numbers as much as anything.

Although I don’t have any hard statistics, I would bet money that more children/teenagers are hurt and even killed on bicycles, motorcycles, and 4-wheelers each year then are injured/killed playing organized sports. IMO it is sad that a parent would oppose their children playing sports when there are far more beneficial life lessons that come from playing organized sports then say riding a bicycle. Part of the problem might also be the level of media coverage that a seriously injured athlete receives verses someone who is injured riding a bicycle. This trend might contribute to an unnecessary level of fear in some parents.

I have coached football for 10 years now and I have had a few players get hurt on the field ( nothing to bad ). I have had more get hurt at home from fourwheelers skate boards and other things. Football or any sport for that matter teaches them disapline, respect and how to get along with others. It also gives the troubled students a reason to keep their grade up, which in return keeps them out of trouble.:thumb:

You can fall out of the bed and get hurt.

You can walk down the sidewalk and fall and get hurt.

When we were kids, my dad always said, "drag a boy through a pile of cow manuer and that will toughen him up!":lol:

The mom being talked about, that was overheard, might want to consider this?

Time is the biggest issue I see. Parents and students are dividing their time and have to choose the best "value". Unfortunately, these kids, with parental direction, sometimes choose very early. It seems that most sports are available year round. Soccer, cross country, lacrosse, basketball, baseball, and I haven't even touched on the non sport extra ciricular.

When I was a kid...:sleep:....football, basketball and spring baseball was the primary choices, so many more now it makes my head spin...... I can only imagine what it does to a student athlete who is trying to keep their grades high enough to get a serious look from a college.

Parents that don't let their kids play sports,particularly team sports do not understand that they teach kids to work together,thus training them for adulthood!As for the injury thing I read an article at my dentist's office that said more kids got concussions playing SOCCER than football!football teaches that many parts have importance in achieving your goal and they must all work together to have success.As for the woman in the market,she probably won't let her kids outside because they might get stung by a bee or something,or breathe some pollen and sneeze!!!!

I heard a lady @ the market telling the cashier that her son would never play sports especially football because she was afraid he would get hurt. As you look around the state numbers are dwindling overall and they are many different reasons. However, IMO the injury issue shouldn't be one of the causes for this down turn. If I were guessing I would say that this lady and many others with this attitude are the same parents who purchase these kids at least one of the following IF NOT ALL THREE! A gun for hunting? A motorcycle/ 4-wheeler or a Car if and when the kid turns 16! Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy or am I way out of line? Lastly, I understand the possibility of a kid getting hurt but the advantages of being involved by far outweigh the disadvantages. Kids need to be involved in something!

Wow, Mom's are taking the heat here. :fight: I am a Mom of football player, I don't necessarilly like for my son to get hurt but I know that comes with the territory. I really don't believe that fathers like for their sons to get hurt either but as the saying goes "Women are from Venus and Men from Mars", we think differently and that really is a good thing.;)

Mom's have been that way forever. I took 6 stitches above my eye in the 7th grade and told my coach he would have to go in and talk to my Mom or I wouldn't get to play anymore. My Dad worked 2nd shift at the time and would've changed her mind, but it did help having coach talk to her. I think soccer has hurt football numbers as much as anything.

Some Mom's...THANK YOU!!!! :irked:

Who says numbers are dwindlings overall?

I would guess that the numbers are kids pkaying football in high school in KY is likely up over the last 20 years as KY has become more of a football state and less of a basketball state.

You can fall out of the bed and get hurt.

You can walk down the sidewalk and fall and get hurt.

When we were kids, my dad always said, "drag a boy through a pile of cow manuer and that will toughen him up!":lol:The mom being talked about, that was overheard, might want to consider this?

:thumb::lol: I like that one. Did you also know that cow manuer helps chapped lips? It doesn't cure them but it sure keeps you from licking them.:lol:

My first football game at age 12, on the opening kickoff, there was a fumble,... I recovered it and while on the bottom of the pile I heard my mother's voice above all others "GET OFF MY BABY".

Mom's are always concerned about the safety of their children. What I hear more these days from some moms is "I won't let mine play because he is so much bigger and/or stronger than the other kids, I am afraid he will hurt someone". I just tell them not to worry, some of these smaller kids are a lot tougher than you think and have been hit and fallen on by some awfully big kids, as big as yours, and they are just fine. My son was never a big kid, ... at best 5'8" and 170lbs, yet he played varsity football in high school and had fewer injuries than the kids much bigger than him and was in a position to take numerous hits from much bigger kids.

The number of kids playing football in KY is actually UP over the past 10-20 years, so I think it is not entirely accurate that the numbers are dwindling. At North Laurel for example, the coaches have the most kids EVER playing football at the school (72 dressed I believe). 8-9 years ago, they had 19 kids.

I think there will always be some parents who don't allow their kids to play for that reason. We will never totally change that.

I played baseball, basketball, and football. The only injuries that I ever sustained were in basketball, stitches over both eyes from elbows; and baseball, torn meniscus from being a catcher. I never experienced an injury in football. That does not mean that injuries do not happen in football, of course they do, but I feel that you are much more likely to be injured in other sports, particularly: baseball, basketball, and soccer.

A big Part of the numbers dropping is competition with other activities. Used to baseball ended well before football started, and basketball started close to the end of football season. Now, baseball has spring baseball, summer baseball, legion baseball, and fall baseball. Baseball players also have private instruction in the winter with baseball trainers. Basketball has basketball camps, summer leagues, AAU leagues, and open gym all year long. Football has also increased the training time by: incorporating spring practice, weight lifting, passing leagues, football camps, and summer conditioning. All of this with other activities such as soccer, golf, tennis, and band has made a lot of players choose one or two sports, some choose football, and some choose other sports. That is a big reason why the numbers of players have dropped in many sports.

All the above and some overprotective parents have contributed to the drop of numbers in football. I have heard many parents say that they were worried about their child getting hurt and would not allow them to play football. This argument, for the most part is unwarranted and from people who do not understand the sport and the benefits of the sport.

My first football game at age 12, on the opening kickoff, there was a fumble,... I recovered it and while on the bottom of the pile I heard my mother's voice above all others "GET OFF MY BABY".

Mom's are always concerned about the safety of their children. What I hear more these days from some moms is "I won't let mine play because he is so much bigger and/or stronger than the other kids, I am afraid he will hurt someone". I just tell them not to worry, some of these smaller kids are a lot tougher than you think and have been hit and fallen on by some awfully big kids, as big as yours, and they are just fine. My son was never a big kid, ... at best 5'8" and 170lbs, yet he played varsity football in high school and had fewer injuries than the kids much bigger than him and was in a position to take numerous hits from much bigger kids.

The number of kids playing football in KY is actually UP over the past 10-20 years, so I think it is not entirely accurate that the numbers are dwindling. At North Laurel for example, the coaches have the most kids EVER playing football at the school (72 dressed I believe). 8-9 years ago, they had 19 kids.

I think there will always be some parents who don't allow their kids to play for that reason. We will never totally change that.

I have heard mom's yell that too, but I have also heard some that get really foul and really get nasty and into the game. I have seen some that would make you think they are going to suit up and go in at the half!

Gotta love it, or you they wouldn't stand to be able to play it.