3A State Champs Predictions??

They were the #1 seed and lost in the second round of the playoffs. That's not too deep. I think most people in 3A are thinking heavily about Tilghman, but as of right now they just haven't shown a great deal. Until we see a charge from them in the postseason, they probably won't be mentioned in the same breath as the Centrals, Russells, Belfrys, etc.

They also got knocked out of the playoffs every year by Hoptown and BG.......Central, Russell, Belfry, and whoever else you want to mention would probably have been knocked out too, no?????

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also got knocked out of the playoffs every year by Hoptown and BG.......Central, Russell, Belfry, and whoever else you want to mention would probably have been knocked out too, no?????
Exactly. The competition bar was set a lot higher in the old 3A than in the old 2A. Tilghman isn't facing that kind of opponent in the new 3A.

I'd have to say AAA and AAAA are not as competitive as the rest of them, you can thank the guy from Somerset for that. I wish they would GIVE him a championship trophy to make him happy. The classes are so watered down he MIGHT just get his chance SOMEDAY. My personal opinion is that Beechwood or Mayfield could compete if not win state in this class:cool:

I'm curious, how does the guy from Somerset (who is he? the superintendent?) water down the classes? Is it because of his private/public stance? So you think the 6 class system is bad for the state's football programs? I disagree with you on that premise, here's why. In the past, there were 2 or 3 teams in each class that were "favorites" to win year in and out. Because of that, programs outside of the SUPER teams had a harder time feeling like their programs could compete. Now you have kids playing football with a desire to win a state championship at more schools. Support from parents and administrations will make most schools better in years to come.

I'm curious, how does the guy from Somerset (who is he? the superintendent?) water down the classes? Is it because of his private/public stance?
I think it's fair to say that the move to six classes was influenced quite a bit by the public-private debate.

So you think the 6 class system is bad for the state's football programs? I disagree with you on that premise, here's why. In the past, there were 2 or 3 teams in each class that were "favorites" to win year in and out. Because of that, programs outside of the SUPER teams had a harder time feeling like their programs could compete. Now you have kids playing football with a desire to win a state championship at more schools. Support from parents and administrations will make most schools better in years to come.
Guess what? The same programs that were competing for a state title in the past are still going to be the premier teams.

Don't be surprised if there are only one or two new faces among the 12 teams that reach the state finals ... meaning teams that haven't been on the carpet sometime in the last 15-20 years.

Maybe Frankfort in Class A, Louisville Central in 3A and Warren East or Marion County or North Bullitt in 3A. Otherwise, it will be much the "same old" teams we're used to seeing.

It's hard to get a good, objective read on Breathitt. I only see Lex. Christian as a challenge the rest of regular season. Not a real tough schedule. Defense has been surprising and the Bobcats are still pretty young and getting better. My concern is whether the key players playing both ways can can stay healthy. Still a force in the East, IMO.

It's hard to get a good, objective read on Breathitt. I only see Lex. Christian as a challenge the rest of regular season. Not a real tough schedule. Defense has been surprising and the Bobcats are still pretty young and getting better. My concern is whether the key players playing both ways can can stay healthy. Still a force in the East, IMO.

Always a force. The Bobcats can jump up and bit you when you least expect it.

I'm curious, how does the guy from Somerset (who is he? the superintendent?) water down the classes? Is it because of his private/public stance? So you think the 6 class system is bad for the state's football programs? I disagree with you on that premise, here's why. In the past, there were 2 or 3 teams in each class that were "favorites" to win year in and out. Because of that, programs outside of the SUPER teams had a harder time feeling like their programs could compete. Now you have kids playing football with a desire to win a state championship at more schools. Support from parents and administrations will make most schools better in years to come.

I really do think 6 classes is bad for football in this state. There are only around 200 schools in the state with 6 titles.The superintendent from Somerset wasn't ever going to get past NCC, so instead of getting motivated to making his team better (more coaches, better facilities, more training, whatever). He cries out that if you have to pay to go to a school you should not be able to compete with public schools? I don't understand why such a debate between the public/private situation. Beechwood is a city school, not private ,should they be alienated for having a stellar football program? These kids work very hard in the offseason. I know I'm off the thread but the cream will always rise. Maybe the guy should have a bowl game against someone he feels he can beat very soundly and pass out rings to the winner! :rolleyes:

I think it's fair to say that the move to six classes was influenced quite a bit by the public-private debate.

Guess what? The same programs that were competing for a state title in the past are still going to be the premier teams.

Don't be surprised if there are only one or two new faces among the 12 teams that reach the state finals ... meaning teams that haven't been on the carpet sometime in the last 15-20 years.

Maybe Frankfort in Class A, Louisville Central in 3A and Warren East or Marion County or North Bullitt in 3A. Otherwise, it will be much the "same old" teams we're used to seeing.

:ylsuper: My thoughts also.

Campbell Co. is average at best.

I say 'average' is an understatement, IMO. They are a very solid team, on both sides of the ball. Hard hitting defense and solid offense. I don't think they're state championship material, but to say they are average at best is way off. After what I saw against Mason Co. last week, they're a pretty good football team.

I really do think 6 classes is bad for football in this state. There are only around 200 schools in the state with 6 titles.The superintendent from Somerset wasn't ever going to get past NCC, so instead of getting motivated to making his team better (more coaches, better facilities, more training, whatever). He cries out that if you have to pay to go to a school you should not be able to compete with public schools? I don't understand why such a debate between the public/private situation. Beechwood is a city school, not private ,should they be alienated for having a stellar football program? These kids work very hard in the offseason. I know I'm off the thread but the cream will always rise. Maybe the guy should have a bowl game against someone he feels he can beat very soundly and pass out rings to the winner! :rolleyes:

I know the Somerset Super has been out in front on the public / private thing from the beginning. However there must be more than a few schools that wanted 6 classes or else it would have never came into being. As far as support for the program, we have more than enough full time coaches, great support, excellant facilities and our kids work their butts off just like everyone else's. I could care less about the public / private issue for the most part. If 6 classes give out two more championships than we gave out last year then whats the problem. We are only talking two more titles I don't see it as a big deal.

I know the Somerset Super has been out in front on the public / private thing from the beginning. However there must be more than a few schools that wanted 6 classes or else it would have never came into being. As far as support for the program, we have more than enough full time coaches, great support, excellant facilities and our kids work their butts off just like everyone else's. I could care less about the public / private issue for the most part. If 6 classes give out two more championships than we gave out last year then whats the problem. We are only talking two more titles I don't see it as a big deal.

The state of Ohio has around 600 schools that participate for 5, count them 5 state championships every year ! All i'm saying is make the title stand for something. There are teams this year that just quite possibly will not win a regular season game and still qualify for the playoffs . That is totally crazy. My alma mater, which is a 6a team, has never won a football championship, but I have never heard him cry about Trinity or X.

I say 'average' is an understatement, IMO. They are a very solid team, on both sides of the ball. Hard hitting defense and solid offense. I don't think they're state championship material, but to say they are average at best is way off. After what I saw against Mason Co. last week, they're a pretty good football team.

We are from two different parts of the state for sure. They may apppear to be decent against teams from outside the northern ky area, but when they play teams from here they are AVERAGE AT BEST. There 2 losses say everything.

With all of the logic going around, points can be made in all directions. Ohio may have 600 schools in 5 Classes, so what. New Jersey probably has 600 schools and has 4 PUBLIC Classes and 3 CATHOLIC (Parochial) Classes. That's right, their private schools compete against each other. This cuts down on the recruiting issue. Is it right? I don't know but to lay blame on one superintendent and say that Somerset's program is lacking work ethic or talent is a stretch. Those kids over there want what every other team desires, a championship. Is it easier for them to get it in 3-A over 1-A or 2-A? I doubt it and only 6 teams will get "rings" this year.

I'd like to see Pulaski and Southwestern also have a run at a title and I still believe that having the 5A gives them that chance to work hard for it. Otherwise, all of the money, influence, coaching, feeder system & talent that can be drawn from and to St. X and Trinity in Louisville keeps the old system (4 classes)non-competitive to schools that don't have the draw of players. Have you ever been to the "Toy Bowl" in Louisville? Papa John's get's filled up with people to see elementary kids compete for the city title from thousands of kids. Those kids are feeders to St. X & Trinity. Good for them but what does that say about the upper end of the class system spectrum with that kind of feeder system in place?