3A State Champs Predictions??

With all of the logic going around, points can be made in all directions. Ohio may have 600 schools in 5 Classes, so what. New Jersey probably has 600 schools and has 4 PUBLIC Classes and 3 CATHOLIC (Parochial) Classes. That's right, their private schools compete against each other. This cuts down on the recruiting issue. Is it right? I don't know but to lay blame on one superintendent and say that Somerset's program is lacking work ethic or talent is a stretch. Those kids over there want what every other team desires, a championship. Is it easier for them to get it in 3-A over 1-A or 2-A? I doubt it and only 6 teams will get "rings" this year.

I'd like to see Pulaski and Southwestern also have a run at a title and I still believe that having the 5A gives them that chance to work hard for it. Otherwise, all of the money, influence, coaching, feeder system & talent that can be drawn from and to St. X and Trinity in Louisville keeps the old system (4 classes)non-competitive to schools that don't have the draw of players. Have you ever been to the "Toy Bowl" in Louisville? Papa John's get's filled up with people to see elementary kids compete for the city title from thousands of kids. Those kids are feeders to St. X & Trinity. Good for them but what does that say about the upper end of the class system spectrum with that kind of feeder system in place?

Pulaski and Southwesternn does not have any better chance now then if there were only 4 classes. Teams like Highlands, Bowling Green,and this years Owensboro squad will see to it. Remember this post come playoff time. Also remember the margin of the score. Maybe the state should look into county championships?;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I don't know as much about the western end of the state but I don't know how you cannot pick Belfry as the favorite from the east at this point in the season with Russell, Breathitt, Mason, & Sheldon Clark as top contenders.

The state of Ohio has around 600 schools that participate for 5, count them 5 state championships every year ! All i'm saying is make the title stand for something. There are teams this year that just quite possibly will not win a regular season game and still qualify for the playoffs . That is totally crazy. My alma mater, which is a 6a team, has never won a football championship, but I have never heard him cry about Trinity or X.

There are 6 divisions in Ohio.:thumb:And 716 schools. What if Ohio had county schools like Kentucky?

Ohio would have 88 counties versus 120 for Kentucky.

There are 6 divisions in Ohio.:thumb:And 716 schools. What if Ohio had county schools like Kentucky?

Ohio would have 88 counties versus 120 for Kentucky.

My mistake on the divisions in OH. Ky's counties are tiny in comparison to the ones in OH.

I have to say I think Central plays the roughest schedule of the 3A's. Manual #3 Male #5 X #1 and Highlands #1(5A)... I think this years Central team has the stuff to do it. But maybe the coaches don't?

Pulaski and Southwesternn does not have any better chance now then if there were only 4 classes. Teams like Highlands, Bowling Green,and this years Owensboro squad will see to it. Remember this post come playoff time. Also remember the margin of the score. Maybe the state should look into county championships?;)

Hopper,

I wasn't talking about this year, but looking ahead for alot of programs. Sure the cream of the crop will win but as programs taste a little success it's something they can build on. As it was, St.X & Trinity were always the front runners in 4A. Now some 5A schools will duke it out, like an Owensboro (whatever class they play in). You made my point with them. Could Owensboro beat St. X? No way. Could a Highlands beat them, maybe but who else?

I'll admit I don't know as much about the western end of the state but I don't know how you cannot pick Belfry as the favorite from the east at this point in the season with Russell, Breathitt, Mason, & Sheldon Clark as top contenders.

If you leave out Somerset you'll be making a mistake IMO, not because I'm a fan but they do have talent and experience. They can play with Breathitt, Mason, Sheldon Clark, etc. They are improving each week and have the personnel to beat you on any night.

Hopper,

I wasn't talking about this year, but looking ahead for alot of programs. Sure the cream of the crop will win but as programs taste a little success it's something they can build on. As it was, St.X & Trinity were always the front runners in 4A. Now some 5A schools will duke it out, like an Owensboro (whatever class they play in). You made my point with them. Could Owensboro beat St. X? No way. Could a Highlands beat them, maybe but who else?

Good point, I hope my old school can strap on the tool belt and build a mansion!:lol:

I have to say I think Central plays the roughest schedule of the 3A's. Manual #3 Male #5 X #1 and Highlands #1(5A)... I think this years Central team has the stuff to do it. But maybe the coaches don't?

Are you saying the Central Coaching staff can not coach a State Championship team? How do you come to this assumption? I know that Coach Scroggins has put together one of the finer coaching staffs in the county. This group knows the game and can coach the game. I know they coached a great game against Manual, which Manual went ahead in the last seconds of the game. They sure did know how to coach against a Top 10 team in 3A. I believe the score was 59-21. Give this coaching staff some credit.

Are you saying the Central Coaching staff can not coach a State Championship team? How do you come to this assumption? I know that Coach Scroggins has put together one of the finer coaching staffs in the county. This group knows the game and can coach the game. I know they coached a great game against Manual, which Manual went ahead in the last seconds of the game. They sure did know how to coach against a Top 10 team in 3A. I believe the score was 59-21. Give this coaching staff some credit.

The coaches are good, but I saw a great Central team loose to a great Manual team because of some bad decisions in the fourth quarter. The coach quoted in the CJ saying it was his fault and that his boys should of won. And I noticed against Male the coaches were putting the players down. It's high school ball not the pros. You could tell the Central team needed a little bit of discipline, and it wasn't the players that needed it. Like I said Central is good but put them in a tough game and look to the coaches to fall first not the players.

Where the top team are after Oct. 5th games

-Lou Central 42-6 over Shawnee 4-2 with win over 1 team w/winning record

-Belfry 41-14 over Magoffin 6-0 Win over Corbin looking bigger

-Russell 65-20 over Lewis Co. 6-0 Opponents are 10-35

-Mason Open 4-2 with no win against team with a winning record

-Paducah Tilghman 50-0 over Mclean Co. 3-4 1st win against a team w/winning record.

-E'Town lost 44-48 to Moore now 4-3 has not beaten a team w/winning record.

-Sheldon Clark 42-14 over Pike Co Cent. 7-0 with wins over 2 teams w/winning records

-Russellville 46-14 over Hart Co. 6-1 with wins over 3 teams w/winning records

-Breathitt 59-6 over Fleming Co 6-0 with wins over 2 teams w/winning records

-Somerset 63-0 over Jackson Co. with wins over 2 teams w/winning records

Where the top team are after Oct. 5th games

-Lou Central 42-6 over Shawnee 4-2 with win over 1 team w/winning record

-Belfry 41-14 over Magoffin 6-0 Win over Corbin looking bigger

-Russell 65-20 over Lewis Co. 6-0 Opponents are 10-35

-Mason Open 4-2 with no win against team with a winning record

-Paducah Tilghman 50-0 over Mclean Co. 3-4 1st win against a team w/winning record.

-E'Town lost 44-48 to Moore now 4-3 has not beaten a team w/winning record.

-Sheldon Clark 42-14 over Pike Co Cent. 7-0 with wins over 2 teams w/winning records

-Russellville 46-14 over Hart Co. 6-1 with wins over 3 teams w/winning records

-Breathitt 59-6 over Fleming Co 6-0 with wins over 2 teams w/winning records

-Somerset 63-0 over Jackson Co. with wins over 2 teams w/winning records

Since it wasn't mentioned, Belfry has 3 wins vs teams with winning records, Corbin (6-1), Shelby Valley (4-2), and Pikeville (5-2). Belfry's Varsity outscored those three teams by a combined score of 115-0 (Average of 38-0).

Since it wasn't mentioned, Belfry has 3 wins vs teams with winning records, Corbin (6-1), Shelby Valley (4-2), and Pikeville (5-2). Belfry's Varsity outscored those three teams by a combined score of 115-0 (Average of 38-0).

On the other side of that coin is all 3 teams have Belfry playing down in class. You have 2 AA and an A team in there. So I would find it hard to judge just how good Belfry is based on those teams. Aside from Corbin I don't think the others are what one would call powerhouses.

But I can't say much. My team has played a 5A and 3 4A teams and none of those games were a terrible challenge either. The down the stretch we have a 6A and a 1A to finish out the season.

On the other side of that coin is all 3 teams have Belfry playing down in class. You have 2 AA and an A team in there. So I would find it hard to judge just how good Belfry is based on those teams. Aside from Corbin I don't think the others are what one would call powerhouses.

But I can't say much. My team has played a 5A and 3 4A teams and none of those games were a terrible challenge either. The down the stretch we have a 6A and a 1A to finish out the season.

Say what you will, but Pikeville may very well be a state finalist in 1A. Additionally, so far it appears 1-5 Ashland is Russell's best win, that 1A Pikeville team that Belfry spanked also took the Tomcats to the woodshed @ Putnam Stadium.

Say what you will, but Pikeville may very well be a state finalist in 1A. Additionally, so far it appears 1-5 Ashland is Russell's best win, that 1A Pikeville team that Belfry spanked also took the Tomcats to the woodshed @ Putnam Stadium.

Just making observations. Nothing based off of any knowledge at all...:lol:

I don't know about the Ashland game being the best win. IMO Ashland, Boyd, Greenup and Lawrence are about at the same level so all those games are a wash. Russell's true test will come in the next 2 weeks facing 6A Simon Kenton and the district foe in Mason.