3A State Champs Predictions??

Not really good to compare scores. Belfry played against Lawrence in the second game. Belfry's defense is as good as there is in 3A. Thats not a good matchup for the team with the new offense scheme they are trying to put in place.

East Carter turned the ball over 8 times I believe against Mason and only 2 times against Russell. East Carter's offense went nowhere against Russell. On offense the Russell coaching staff played it very conservative sticking with the grind it out game and passing only 10 times when it would have been open all night. There is some teaching going on there. The offensive line has been pretty good. And the team leader and starting QB and LB played little defense and was very limited offensively. Hardly rusty.

What has been questioned was enthusiasm going into games where the team has expected to win. That said, Russell has gone 5-0 and controlled the LOS in every game. It may not have always been pretty or flashy but it has been solid.

I agree.. I don't like comparing scores either. But, until the teams actually have a chance to see each other on the field, it is all we have to go by.

.... About Lawrence County, you are right and slightly off at the same time. The offense LC was playing against Belfry was the same that they had in place last season, only in the past weeks have they opted to variate it to become more run oriented, so in essence it will be Russell playing an LC team adjusting to a new offensive style. Conversely, the style LC is using is what suits them much better than what they tried to run against Belfry, and it is the style that most LC players have grown up playing grade schol with, so naturally LC should be markedly improved against Russell than Week 2 against an experienced Belfry squad...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.. I don't like comparing scores either. But, until the teams actually have a chance to see each other on the field, it is all we have to go by.

.... About Lawrence County, you are right and slightly off at the same time. The offense LC was playing against Belfry was the same that they had in place last season, only in the past weeks have they opted to variate it to become more run oriented, so in essence it will be Russell playing an LC team adjusting to a new offensive style. Conversely, the style LC is using is what suits them much better than what they tried to run against Belfry, and it is the style that most LC players have grown up playing grade schol with, so naturally LC should be markedly improved against Russell than Week 2 against an experienced Belfry squad...

I think you got that one wrong my friend. LC brought in a new Offensive coordinator in the off season. He is a LC alum that has been at Lexington Catholic and was trying to install the same offense that Catholic runs at Lawrence County. In the weeks since Lawrence played Belfry they have added a couple of new players and tweaked their offense to suit what they do well.

HAHA Hey it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, you seem to know more about the situation than me so I will take your word on it.

Nonetheless, since that Belfry game the bulldogs have became much more ground oriented utilizing the Roberts kid more and more, so whatever system they were using is not exactly the same as the offense that will be lining up come Friday. (and on a sidenote, whatever offense LC uses I hope it pays dividends, I really want to see that program revert back to where it was)

But back to the topic at hand.... I haven't noticed Somerset mentioned much in this thread... the Jumpers appeared to start rough when they lost that shootout versuses Pulaski County and struggled versuses Metcalfe County, but since then Pulaski has proved themselves to be a quality team starting undefeated with a quality win vs. Mercer County, Metcalfe has also remained undefeated. The Jumpers have seemingly found their offense and a way to get the ball in John Cole's hands... has everyone abandoned Somerset or are they still potentially a team to be reckoned with?

HAHA Hey it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, you seem to know more about the situation than me so I will take your word on it.

Nonetheless, since that Belfry game the bulldogs have became much more ground oriented utilizing the Roberts kid more and more, so whatever system they were using is not exactly the same as the offense that will be lining up come Friday. (and on a sidenote, whatever offense LC uses I hope it pays dividends, I really want to see that program revert back to where it was)

But back to the topic at hand.... I haven't noticed Somerset mentioned much in this thread... the Jumpers appeared to start rough when they lost that shootout versuses Pulaski County and struggled versuses Metcalfe County, but since then Pulaski has proved themselves to be a quality team starting undefeated with a quality win vs. Mercer County, Metcalfe has also remained undefeated. The Jumpers have seemingly found their offense and a way to get the ball in John Cole's hands... has everyone abandoned Somerset or are they still potentially a team to be reckoned with?

Only know what I have heard and read from the LC faithful. It has been a hot topic in Louisa.

As for Somerset I just don't think they have enough defense to make a serious run at it.

On Defense something i said was supsect but has come along just fine very Young D-Backs in Jade Haddix and Channing Fugate,good D-line in Johnny Johnson ,Jaun Little,and D-End Dakota Ritchie,linebackers Dusty Allen and Chris Jackson Corners Huston Noble,Ryan Allen ,all are hard hitters ,quick,and tough.....and lots of these are 10th graders or Jr's so looks good for next Year...

Breathitt's offense and coaching is no question at all to me, what I wonder about with the Bobcats is the same thing you mention, defense. Chapman has proven he can put together a very good defense with undersized players, but the past 3 or 4 years the Bobcats defense has been considerably weaker than that of the top teams in their class. This season it is really hard to get a read on the bobcats when the toughest offense they have faced has been P-burg, a team who's strong point definately is not their offense.

Belfry will be too hot to handle this year, beating Mason on the way to the pizza box and Central on the grand stage.

It sounds like your saying that Breathitt and Russell do not have a chance. Thats a whole lot said for two teams that have not lost a game.

Just my opinion (and I might eat my words) but Breathitt and Russell will fall short of Mason County. Both have great teams and, Russell usually finds a way to win, but lack domination factor that they have had in the past.

Russell is still beating their opponents by a margin of 36-16. 3 TD's is a pretty good margin in my book.

Simply an observation, but Russell's defense lacks the domination factor it had the past few years. The offense has been the showcase this year for the most part.

I agree with this. The defense has been dominant at times but has also very lackadasical at times. That is a sign of a inexperienced team. I think they get better as the years go on. Some of the sophmores are growing up in a hurry.

So how does this past weekend shake up our perceptions?

- Lou. Central crushes a pretty solid Lou. Western team, 34-0.

- Belfry demolishes a pretty good 1A Pikeville team, Corbin also proves oncemore that they were a quality defeat for Belfry by absolutely whipping LCA on the road.

- Russell handles business fairly easily against Lawrence County.

- Mason County gets beat pretty handidly by a very good NKY 6A team.

- Tilghman loses AGAIN, but once again it is to solid competiiton vs. Mayfield

- E'town (who Central dominated last week) puts the smackdown on Bardstown.

- Sheldon Clark remains undfeated, but doesn't do so in an impressive way as they survive mediocre Rowan County 18-7.

-Russellville is quietly 5-1, and earned a 38-34 victory over a quality Glasgow team

- Breathitt and Somerset were idle....

So how does this past weekend shake up our perceptions?

- Lou. Central crushes a pretty solid Lou. Western team, 34-0.

- Belfry demolishes a pretty good 1A Pikeville team, Corbin also proves oncemore that they were a quality defeat for Belfry by absolutely whipping LCA on the road.

- Russell handles business fairly easily against Lawrence County.

- Mason County gets beat pretty handidly by a very good NKY 6A team.

- Tilghman loses AGAIN, but once again it is to solid competiiton vs. Mayfield

- E'town (who Central dominated last week) puts the smackdown on Bardstown.

- Sheldon Clark remains undfeated, but doesn't do so in an impressive way as they survive mediocre Rowan County 18-7.

-Russellville is quietly 5-1, and earned a 38-34 victory over a quality Glasgow team

- Breathitt and Somerset were idle....

This weekend doesn't change my perspective on Mason Co. at all. True, Campbell Co. handed it to the Royals pretty good Friday night, but like you state here, they are a very good 6A team. This loss and playing this high level of competition will only help the Royals, a 3A team, in the long run, IMO.