3A State Champs Predictions??

Belfry is my pick. I just wonder how much of a toll Central's schedule will take on the team. Belfry's schedule is strong enough to prepare them for the playoffs, but they may be a little healthier than Central in the post season.

Thats a good point. Central has to survive a regular season that is much tougher than anybody else in 3A. If they do the playoffs may seem like a walk in the park for them.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Central - Until further notice, they're my frontrunner.

2. Belfry - I give Belfry a slight edge because they've had more recent success and they've looked pretty solid this year.

3. Breathitt - Young team that is improving from week to week...I think defense is the strength of this team, which is good. I'm still not completely sold that this team will be able to win 2 or 3 tough playoff games in a row...away from Jackson. It's possible, which is all you can ask for as a fan.

4. Mason Co. and Russell - If I'm underrating these teams, I apologize. I just think they're slightly below the top 3...doesn't mean I'd be surprised if they ended up beating one of them in the playoffs.

I don't think there is a huge gap between the top teams in 3A, unless Central is much better than the rest...I don't know enough about them to say one way or the other. I think Central is a heavy favorite to come out of the West bracket and play on the carpet...in the East, I think whichever of the contenders clicks at the right time and plays the best football will come out, and that could be any one of them, IMO (Belfry, Breathitt, Russell, Mason Co., P'burg, Sheldon Clark).

I agree with westsider. Central is playing a brutal schedule and should be the favorite.

In the East at this point I think Belfry probably is the favorite with Russell, Mason and Breathitt right behind them.

I have to concur with your statement FBALL.

Russell at 5-0 and ranked in the AP polls towards the top at least deserves a mention in this thread as well.

BTW Thanks for the PM the other day. I really got a kick out of it.:D

Russell is A favorite from the East but probably not THE favorite at this point.

Folks you can say what you want about Russell's schedule, but, when it is time to get down to business they will. Take a look at the regular season schedule from 2005 when the Red Devils won the state championship.

2005 Schedule

Aug 26, '05 Greenup County 25 - 6 (W)

Sep 2, '05 Ashland Blazer 21 - 13 (W)

Sep 9, '05 Boyd County 14 - 33 (L)

Sep 16, '05 Powell County 42 - 12 (W)

Sep 23, '05 Morgan County 35 - 14 (W)

Sep 30, '05 West Carter 54 - 20 (W)

Oct 7, '05 Lewis County 55 - 7 (W)

Oct 14, '05 Estill County 69 - 22 (W)

Oct 21, '05 East Carter 27 - 7 (W)

Oct 28, '05 Fleming County 42 - 21 (W)

Now take a look at this years schedule.

Aug 24, '07 Greenup County 45 - 18 (W)

Aug 31, '07 Boyd County 29 - 20 (W)

Sep 7, '07 West Carter 53 - 15 (W)

Sep 14, '07 Ashland Blazer 28 - 20 (W)

Sep 21, '07 East Carter 28 - 10 (W)

Sep 28, '07 Lawrence County 7:30 PM

Oct 5, '07 Lewis County 7:30 PM

Oct 12, '07 Simon Kenton 7:30 PM

Oct 19, '07 Mason County 7:30 PM

Oct 26, '07 Raceland 7:30 PM

Nov 2, '07 Open

IMO I don't see much difference from the schedule from 2 years ago. So Russell will come to play no matter who is on their schedule.

Now as far as contenders in 3A I can't argue against any of the teams mentioned so far. In the east I think it will depend on who stays healthy from here on out.

And don't be fooled. In a state championship season you have to have a little bit of luck somewhere down the line too.

But last year they started out 0-5 and then went on to go deep into the playoffs...

They were the #1 seed and lost in the second round of the playoffs. That's not too deep. I think most people in 3A are thinking heavily about Tilghman, but as of right now they just haven't shown a great deal. Until we see a charge from them in the postseason, they probably won't be mentioned in the same breath as the Centrals, Russells, Belfrys, etc.

Russell is A favorite from the East but probably not THE favorite at this point.

I have always given the Devils plenty of credit over the last couple of seasons and before as well as this one. I don't think that me voicing an opinion on teams that I think are favorites is degrading Russell. I did not put Russell down, I did not slam their coach (who is one of the best in the state) and I did not insult or downgrade any Russell player at any time. I respect the Russell players and coaches and what all the program has accomplished. Take a look back at some of my post last season and the ones before on your state title runs, I was giving the Red Devil kids and coaches a lot of well deserved credit. Should they make another run this season I will give them credit for it as well. I do not think that someone picking another team/teams on an opinion thead constitutes disrespect or not giving credit. Was jmo like others have put theirs. I have no problem with others putting their opinions on teams down and I don't see any point in getting personal as you just did but if that is what you want then ok.. I am not biting on that one.:D

I just went fishing again (all in fun) and got some bites...............Again :sssh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. Thanks for playing and good luck to the Russell Red Devil Football Team and I mean that;). :thumb::thumb: I have had my fun and will not bother posting on a Russell thread again (oh wait :eek:........this wasn't a Russell thread :D)

I merely stated an opinion, nothing more - nothing less. Russell has a very good football team. I just think that some others in 3A are better this season, thats all. Do not make anything else out of it bc it is just not there.

I do know one thing and that is I didn't make a slur on someone's bgp name as you just did:rolleyes: in your post which I think is against bgp rules but so be it. (I guess it was a typo :D:thumb:)

I have always given the Devils plenty of credit over the last couple of seasons and before as well as this one. I don't think that me voicing an opinion on teams that I think are favorites is degrading Russell. I did not put Russell down, I did not slam their coach (who is one of the best in the state) and I did not insult or downgrade any Russell player at any time. I respect the Russell players and coaches and what all the program has accomplished. Take a look back at some of my post last season and the ones before on your state title runs, I was giving the Red Devil kids and coaches a lot of well deserved credit. Should they make another run this season I will give them credit for it as well. I do not think that someone picking another team/teams on an opinion thead constitutes disrespect or not giving credit. Was jmo like others have put theirs. I have no problem with others putting their opinions on teams down and I don't see any point in getting personal as you just did but if that is what you want then ok.. I am not biting on that one.:D

I just went fishing again (all in fun) and got some bites...............Again :sssh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. Thanks for playing and good luck to the Russell Red Devil Football Team and I mean that;). :thumb::thumb: I have had my fun and will not bother posting on a Russell thread again (oh wait :eek:........this wasn't a Russell thread :D)

I merely stated an opinion, nothing more - nothing less. Russell has a very good football team. I just think that some others in 3A are better this season, thats all. Do not make anything else out of it bc it is just not there.

I do know one thing and that is I didn't make a slur on someone's bgp name as you just did:rolleyes: in your post which I think is against bgp rules but so be it. (I guess it was a typo :D:thumb:)

The term "hook, line and sinker" should mean something here.:laugh::D:rolleyes:

Well if you need to better compare Belfry to Russell we can start with Friday... the teams will share their first common opponent as the Devils take on Lawrence County. Belfry led 51-0 following the first posession of the second half before pulling the starters. An additional comparison will come later in the seasonw hen the Pirates go on the road to East Carter.. a team which Mason County whipped up on and Russell looked rusty against by all accounts. Belfry also hosts Johnson Central who Lou. Central will also take on.

It's also worth notign with Belfry, the Pirates have let to allow a single point on their first string defense, and aside from the Corbin game the starters have been pulled early in the 3rd Quarter. Even against a solid Redhound team Belfry ended the game playing 2nd Stringers on their final offensive and defensive posessions.

I am just not seeing where 3A Belry's win over 2A Corbin is all that impressive.

They beat 6A Paul Dunbar which is 2-2

They Beat 1A Bethlehen which is 1-3

They beat 5A South Laurel which is 2-3

They beat 2A Knott County Central which is 0-4

Corbins wins have came against opponenets that have a combined record of 5-12. That does not make Belfrys win a stellar accomplishment in my book. Maybe there is more to it.

Mason's opponents have a combined record of 6-18. Mason did not win the game as stated above. Yes they are 3-0 in the district but have faced East and West Carter and Lewis co. Not the strongest schedule. Russell has handled East and West and should handle Lewis without much problem.

Quite the contrary belief than what Devil fans thought going into the matchup. Many Russell posters picked a Corbin victory considering the Redhounds played Russell so tough in the playoffs and returned 9 starters on both sides of the ball. I would venture to say that Corbin is 3-4 TD's better than any team that Russell was victorious against thusfar.

...And finally, I ahve said before and will say again: "Until Central loses or struggles against a 3A team they are supposed to beat, they are my #1 team in 3A"... and last week should have been their stiffest 3A challenge of the regular season when they played a Top 10 E'town, and Central dominated.

Quite the contrary belief than what Devil fans thought going into the matchup. Many Russell posters picked a Corbin victory considering the Redhounds played Russell so tough in the playoffs and returned 9 starters on both sides of the ball. I would venture to say that Corbin is 3-4 TD's better than any team that Russell was victorious against thusfar.

Actually this Russell poster picked Belfry. Even said that I thought Corbin would have trouble scoring on them.

Well if you need to better compare Belfry to Russell we can start with Friday... the teams will share their first common opponent as the Devils take on Lawrence County. Belfry led 51-0 following the first posession of the second half before pulling the starters. An additional comparison will come later in the seasonw hen the Pirates go on the road to East Carter.. a team which Mason County whipped up on and Russell looked rusty against by all accounts. Belfry also hosts Johnson Central who Lou. Central will also take on.

It's also worth notign with Belfry, the Pirates have let to allow a single point on their first string defense, and aside from the Corbin game the starters have been pulled early in the 3rd Quarter. Even against a solid Redhound team Belfry ended the game playing 2nd Stringers on their final offensive and defensive posessions.

Not really good to compare scores. Belfry played against Lawrence in the second game. Belfry's defense is as good as there is in 3A. Thats not a good matchup for the team with the new offense scheme they are trying to put in place.

East Carter turned the ball over 8 times I believe against Mason and only 2 times against Russell. East Carter's offense went nowhere against Russell. On offense the Russell coaching staff played it very conservative sticking with the grind it out game and passing only 10 times when it would have been open all night. There is some teaching going on there. The offensive line has been pretty good. And the team leader and starting QB and LB played little defense and was very limited offensively. Hardly rusty.

What has been questioned was enthusiasm going into games where the team has expected to win. That said, Russell has gone 5-0 and controlled the LOS in every game. It may not have always been pretty or flashy but it has been solid.