Highlands 28 Covington Catholic 14

Birdsfan

The reality is that CCH just took on the clear number-1 team in NKY (and the top Class 5A team right now) and played them a close game. If CCH gets moderately better (either with the addition of Buckley or just playing better under the new coaching system) then they will have a major presence in the postseason this year.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that CCH just took on the clear number-1 team in NKY (and the top Class 5A team right now) and played them a close game. If CCH gets moderately better (either with the addition of Buckley or just playing better under the new coaching system) then they will have a major presence in the postseason this year.

:thumb: I think that is the first time a Highlands fan has given credit to CovCath for their efforts today. CovCath being able to play with Highlands, one of the most talented teams in the state this year, shows they have the potential to play with any opponent despite their record.

My question is: How does CovCath have the record they do? My goodness they played well! The O-line that I heard people bash is BIG and strong. Backs run hard, and the QB has classic size and will get nothing but better. Their defensive LB's were VERY tough today. All in all, a MUCH better team than given credit for previously. Very sparse on the CC stands today.

New name for Draper..."Big Play" Jay !! The 20 or so extra pounds of muscle he put on since last year really has helped out. He wasn't seeing much come his way this year but WOW...what a break-out game. Good kid working hard, staying focused, keeping positive....formula for success!!

New name for Draper..."Big Play" Jay !! The 20 or so extra pounds of muscle he put on since last year really has helped out. He wasn't seeing much come his way this year but WOW...what a break-out game. Good kid working hard, staying focused, keeping positive....formula for success!!

He does look much bigger....:thumb:

Kudo's out to Drew Simons for the OUTSTANDING job fielding X-pt/FG snaps. Trey Jurgens had a broken finger wrapped large and wasn't his normal automatic self snapping. Drew looked like his daddy pickin' it at shortstop, and made, to me, the play of the game when he fielded a short-hop snap on the field goal attempt and ran for a first down DEEP in CC territory. Honorable mention play of the game goes out to Alex Hempfling for jumping on the fumble (pork chop?) down on the goal line.

1. I agree. I never really felt like the game was in jeopardy. Everytime it got close someone from Highlands made a play. I suppose I should be used to this......it's what they do.

2. See #1. I will say that I was impressed with the Draper kid. Made some tough catches in traffic. Not impressed at all with the decision making skills of the HHS QB. Throwing the ball into coverage will get you into trouble, but give credit where it is due, the HHS receivers made plays.

3. I was also perplexed by this, and would add this gem: Whatever happened to changing the cadence in these situations?

4. It was a very good play by the HHS defender. I personally didn't like the call there, but it was a good play.

5. Both teams didn't look real sharp in the special teams today. Defeciencies in those areas may ultimately cost either team a ballgame at some point.

6. Buckley will certainly help out the CovCath O, but more importantly I think they need to establish an identity.

7. See my earlier posts.

Just disagree with you on one point!

(2). Jay Draper had a fantastic game and I am sure this will not be the last we will see or read about JD! I think the HHS QB did make some good decisions in throwing the ball into the ground or out of bounds on several plays yesterday when the intended receiver(s) were covered. When the QB went 7 for 11 in the game and taking into consideration he has not been intercepted midway through this season - hard to swallow poor decision making comment.

I agree with your comments on the other points! :D

No doubt about it. CCH came to play and they are much better than their record indicates. I thought the CCH Defense did a great job most of the day they are strong and very fast! I do not envy the teams they play the rest of the season. They will have a winning record by the time the season is through.

That said, I was very unimpressed with the fan turnout on the Cov Cath side of the stands. Even the area shaded by the press box had empty seats available.

CCH fans need to step up and support this team! Those young men deserve it!!!

That said, I was very unimpressed with the fan turnout on the Cov Cath side of the stands. Even the area shaded by the press box had empty seats available.

CCH fans need to step up and support this team! Those young men deserve it!!!

Not exactly "with a spirit that will not die."

Great game Jay! This kid has done everything right his entire Highlands career. Great to see him getting the recognition he deserves! FTJFL Blue Team heart showing up again.

Great game Jay! This kid has done everything right his entire Highlands career. Great to see him getting the recognition he deserves! FTJFL Blue Team heart showing up again.

I was wondering when this kid was going to step up and make some plays. The Birds are going to need some kids making plays like Draper, Collinsworth, Simons because you cant rely on your horses Cecil,Conner,Hurtt the whole year every single game.

How about the Birds Offensive line yesterday? How many rushing touchdowns and rushing yards have they help pave the way for so far this year. Lets hear it for those guys too.

I was wondering when this kid was going to step up and make some plays. The Birds are going to need some kids making plays like Draper, Collinsworth, Simons because you cant rely on your horses Cecil,Conner,Hurtt the whole year every single game.

How about the Birds Offensive line yesterday? How many rushing touchdowns and rushing yards have they help pave the way for so far this year. Lets hear it for those guys too.

The "Hogs" thank you for the shout out.:thumb:

One comment about NKY officials. IMO they need to address the late or non whistles. 3 plays come to mind from yesterday.

1.CCH QB is hit by Birds D, give the kid credit he fought to keep his feet, and somehow got off a pass. No whistle

2. CCH has ball on HHS goal line, run up the gut. RB is clearly stopped, being bent back, ball comes out, 10 for HHS comes out with ball, then the whistle is blown, no fumble. Ref says RB was down, yet had not blown his whistle.

3. And here is the point to this, 81 for HHS catches a pass downfield and is immediatley surrounded by 3 Colonels. He is literally picked up and carried backwards. No whistle. Here comes another Colonel and takes out his own guy.

These players are taught to play til they hear the whistle and if these guys don't blow the whistle when the play is over someone will and did get hurt. You would think we would hear early whistles in erring on the side of caution for the safety of the players. Yet we have the opposite. IMO this is an issue that needs to be addressed immediatly

One comment about NKY officials. IMO they need to address the late or non whistles. 3 plays come to mind from yesterday.

1.CCH QB is hit by Birds D, give the kid credit he fought to keep his feet, and somehow got off a pass. No whistle

2. CCH has ball on HHS goal line, run up the gut. RB is clearly stopped, being bent back, ball comes out, 10 for HHS comes out with ball, then the whistle is blown, no fumble. Ref says RB was down, yet had not blown his whistle.

3. And here is the point to this, 81 for HHS catches a pass downfield and is immediatley surrounded by 3 Colonels. He is literally picked up and carried backwards. No whistle. Here comes another Colonel and takes out his own guy.

These players are taught to play til they hear the whistle and if these guys don't blow the whistle when the play is over someone will and did get hurt. You would think we would here early whistles in erring on the side of caution for the safety of the players. Yet we have the opposite. IMO this is an issue that needs to be addressed immediatly

Great observation... I could not agree with you more. The whistles were very late on several plays for HHS and Cov Cath. The offensive player's body is exposed to serious injury. I have no idea what the official is waiting for in theses instances. The serious knee injury to the Cov Cath player did not have to happen!