Highlands 28 Covington Catholic 14

Birdsfan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down 15-7 with the ball on the 20 late in the 2nd quarter, CCH throws a costly interception in the endzone - right when CCH had the momentum. Highlands made the plays today (and their experience showed) and CCH did not. At 1-4, this team is getting closer to becoming a quality football team. I noticed Pat Vansant was back healthy today. With Buckley healthy by week 9-10, look out. Good luck Colonels.

So many questions to be asked about each team after this game.

The O for CCH was stifled today. Kudos to the Birds. 123 yards total offense is a strong showing for the Birds D.

Their O? Not so much. CCH dbs have to make plays.

Great play by the Birds holder to get the first down on the bad snap on the FG. Led to a TD which was huge.

Great to see PVS back on the field although he's not a middle LB. He needs to be able to run. You saw him today be strong at chasing side to side but not so much going against Ball up the middle. Still, great to see him back.

I don't care how well the Colonels played today. Losing Jake Punch for the season is a serious downer. I love watching the kid play. Strong leader. On a team filled with laid-back kids, Punch shows a lot of enthusiasm about playing football. Very talented . Unfortunately, he had to sit behind Pete Sutton so this was his year.

If its over for him, its a shame. He's a football player and would be on any team I had.

BTW, I think I saw the HHS tailgate area when I was leaving. Which one of you guys needed the short bus?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only in high school football can I see a tailback with a jersey number in the 60s and then show up one week later to see a punt returner wearing #54.

I don't care how well the Colonels played today. Losing Jake Punch for the season is a serious downer. I love watching the kid play. Strong leader. On a team filled with laid-back kids, Punch shows a lot of enthusiasm about playing football. Very talented . Unfortunately, he had to sit behind Pete Sutton so this was his year.

If its over for him, its a shame. He's a football player and would be on any team I had.

BTW, I think I saw the HHS tailgate area when I was leaving. Which one of you guys needed the short bus?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only in high school football can I see a tailback with a jersey number in the 60s and then show up one week later to see a punt returner wearing #54.

When I was leaving a Coach from CCH told me that Punch tore his ACL. That's too bad. Hate to see anyone get hurt. Also saw VanSant playing, maybe a little tentative but still playing. Wondering though, he told me just last week - Dixie game, that he wouldn't be ready because of the 10 practice days needed to participate in varsity athletics. I guess he either got them in somehow or the rule changed or is that even a rule? I don't know for sure. Maybe someone could enlighten me?

When I was leaving a Coach from CCH told me that Punch tore his ACL. That's too bad. Hate to see anyone get hurt. Also saw VanSant playing, maybe a little tentative but still playing. Wondering though, he told me just last week - Dixie game, that he wouldn't be ready because of the 10 practice days needed to participate in varsity athletics. I guess he either got them in somehow or the rule changed or is that even a rule? I don't know for sure. Maybe someone could enlighten me?
Maybe he was afraid you would tell the other team in blue that he would playing against them. Glad to see this young man back to playing football.

I noticed that too! Smoking at high school games? Odd!

Fun game to watch this morning. Cov Cath played a hard game and never gave up. That is what we all expected!

Birds played well under the hot and humid weather conditions. D came out a little flat- however that may be the result of Cov Cath O line being fired up! Birds will roll through the remaining season and who knows - just might get the opportunity to play Cov Cath one more time... under the lights. :thumb:

Down 15-7 with the ball on the 20 late in the 2nd quarter, CCH throws a costly interception in the endzone - right when CCH had the momentum. Highlands made the plays today (and their experience showed) and CCH did not. At 1-4, this team is getting closer to becoming a quality football team. I noticed Pat Vansant was back healthy today. With Buckley healthy by week 9-10, look out. Good luck Colonels.

CCH had 23 yards in the second half after 100 in the first. I'd say the coaching at halftime occurred in the gym and not at the top of the steps. For this team to be labeled heading in the direction of a quality football team, I'd say they'd have to do better than that. This team plays has hard as any I've seen. The offense keeps taking hits, one from YOU, that they have no talent on offense. They need a better plan.

Hopefully when Buckley gets back, they will be able to get that yard they need on short-yardage situations. They had 3 or 4, 3rd and 1 oppts. and couldn't get it.

The Colonels continue to improve though, they played well for the most part. I hope Punch is ok, he had some nice catches early in the game.

Yea, I think Buckley's out for the season.....:confused:

Best of luck to Jake Punch and I hope for a speedy recovery from his ACL injury. I hate to see this injury with any kid but when your a senior it hurts a little bit more.

Highlands was fortunate to pull this victory out today...Too many mistakes which must be corrected if they plan on playing for the championship. Cov Cath is a better team than their record shows and they will get better each week.