Highlands 28 Covington Catholic 14

Birdsfan

Was not impressed with the play of HHS in this one. Their best offensive play seemed to be throwing the ball up into double coverage and letting Draper (sp?) go up and get it. The CovCath defenders seemed to have great position on the throws, but just didn't make a play. Kudos to Mr. Draper for doing just that. Honestly, I just expected more out of my first time seeing the Bluebirds this year. I got the feeling that both sides may have been "holding back" a little bit. Anyone else get that feeling?

How can you say that the teams were "Holding Back" in a game like this. That is a shot at the players who gave it their all out on the field today.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win for the Bluebirds. I was impressed (but not surprised) by the great effort by CovCath. They were just a couple of plays from making this a very interesting game. The Simons recovery and run for a first down on the bad snap on the field goal attempt was big as mentioned above as were the two Austin Collinsworth interceptions (particularly the one to stop a touchdown or at least field goal by the Colonels before the end of the first half). He downed that in the end zone. Had he looked up it appeared that he had quite a bit of room in front of him up the sideline--would have been interesting had he run it out. Also, huge catches by Draper on long balls thown up for grabs. Good coaching by Highlands to run the no huddle hurry up running game in the 4th quarter against a CovCath defense that just became exhausted in the heat. That sealed the game. Some special team matters (bad punt off the side of the foot and long kickoff return for CovCath late in game) cause for some concern but more palatable to correct those after a win.

How can you say that the teams were "Holding Back" in a game like this. That is a shot at the players who gave it their all out on the field today.

Not directed at the players at all, I thought that both sides played with great intensity and fire. Rather, I was simply saying that it seemed that both offenses were very "vanilla" in what they were running. I don't know if that is just a general characteristic of the way these offenses are run, but I personally got the feeling that they were keeping a few things in their pocket for a potential matchup a month or so down the road.

I believe he is referring to the coaching staffs in regards to offensive play calling and defensive schemes and not the players.

And that isn't uncommon in these district games probably even more now since all you are playing for is home field advantage.

I'll say this.

** Never really got the feeling Highlands was in trouble or that they could lose.

** Highlands makes plays when they need to. Whether it is just out-jumping a DB, or running with a bad snap etc. they make plays.

** CovCath killed themselves on the 3rd and inches plays when they turned and handed off 4 yards deep. Highlands was basically willing to give them 6 inches on a QB sneak by not having anyone directly over the center.

** The CovCath INT is the endzone was a good play by Highlands by I thought the CovCath receiver must have lost sight of the ball because he never went for it.

** Where are the soccer players or CovCath kickers that used to put the ball 8 yards deep in the endzone? Line drive kickoffs to the 15 will get you beat.

** If CovCath ever gets Buckley back, they could get a lot better on offense.

** Don't think Highlands showed everything on offesne today.

I'll say this.

** Never really got the feeling Highlands was in trouble or that they could lose.

** Highlands makes plays when they need to. Whether it is just out-jumping a DB, or running with a bad snap etc. they make plays.

** CovCath killed themselves on the 3rd and inches plays when they turned and handed off 4 yards deep. Highlands was basically willing to give them 6 inches on a QB sneak by not having anyone directly over the center.

** The CovCath INT is the endzone was a good play by Highlands by I thought the CovCath receiver must have lost sight of the ball because he never went for it.

** Where are the soccer players or CovCath kickers that used to put the ball 8 yards deep in the endzone? Line drive kickoffs to the 15 will get you beat.

** If CovCath ever gets Buckley back, they could get a lot better on offense.

** Don't think Highlands showed everything on offesne today.

1. I agree. I never really felt like the game was in jeopardy. Everytime it got close someone from Highlands made a play. I suppose I should be used to this......it's what they do.

2. See #1. I will say that I was impressed with the Draper kid. Made some tough catches in traffic. Not impressed at all with the decision making skills of the HHS QB. Throwing the ball into coverage will get you into trouble, but give credit where it is due, the HHS receivers made plays.

3. I was also perplexed by this, and would add this gem: Whatever happened to changing the cadence in these situations?

4. It was a very good play by the HHS defender. I personally didn't like the call there, but it was a good play.

5. Both teams didn't look real sharp in the special teams today. Defeciencies in those areas may ultimately cost either team a ballgame at some point.

6. Buckley will certainly help out the CovCath O, but more importantly I think they need to establish an identity.

7. See my earlier posts.

Was it me or was the concession on HHS putting some extra seasoning on all "food" products sold? What's up with the guy smoking a cigar in the concession for the entire game. Nice touch!:creepy:

Cigar-smoked burgers are all the rage in Park Hills.

As a Bluebird fan I did not think they looked sharp at all today.They played well enough to win but just did not have all the "pistons " hitting at the same time.

I am not sure if CovCath took us out of our game or if the boys were just stressed due to the pressure that seems to be thrown on them during "CovCath" week from the coaching staff ???

I know Clay Cecil had been fighting the flu over the last week or so and Josh Conner has been fighting back problems,these two are the spark of the offense and we need them healthy all season.

Thought that Jay Draper really played well today! He really looked aggressive going up for the ball and made key catches for us.

I thought the defense looked good today,giving up 123 yds. against any CovCath team isn't too bad at all.

Good luck and keep focused one week at a time for that ultimate goal of bringing home #17