Brandon Phillips' Comments....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

The last great clubhouse leader this team had was Greg Vaughn. Larkin wasn't a true leader, especially in that he wasn't as universally liked / respected as many are / were led to believe.

:thumb:

Larkin was equal parts clubhouse leader/clubhouse cancer...

Agreed.

The last great clubhouse leader this team had was Greg Vaughn. Larkin wasn't a true leader, especially in that he wasn't as universally liked / respected as many are / were led to believe.

Now we're going back to 99. I believe the presence of JR prohibits anyone from taking a leadership role.

Now we're going back to 99. I believe the presence of JR prohibits anyone from taking a leadership role.

I think it is unintentional, but I think you're right. He is so laid back that it becomes the tone for their clubhouse. I've said for years that I think Griffey being the one to groom Dunn as a big-leaguer was the wrong mixture for A.D. He needed someone that would cause him to be more vocal, not someone that, like him, was so laid back that it could often be mis-interpreted.

At the same time, these are professional athletes. They need to approach each game, in a similar manner.

If it takes another teammate, to get you to want to play, you're playing for a check and not with energy. It doesn't take a lot, to give a 100% on each play, if you have passion and respect for the game.

At the same time, these are professional athletes. They need to approach each game, in a similar manner.

If it takes another teammate, to get you to want to play, you're playing for a check and not with energy. It doesn't take a lot, to give a 100% on each play, if you have passion and respect for the game.

I agree, but I believe it is just human behavior that in a group setting you have leaders and followers. Not having a leader is detrimental to the Reds

I agree, but I believe it is just human behavior that in a group setting you have leaders and followers. Not having a leader is detrimental to the Reds
One of my favorite phrases....Everyone, is broken into one of these categories.

With that said, the detrimental aspect, can be directly attributed to lack of MLB talent and not, from the absence of a leader.