Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Savior is called up.......

Featured Replies

I think there is way to much expected from this guy. If he has a rough outing early it could get ugly quick.

  • Replies 95
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
The irony is the thread title says it all...
Surely you knew I was joking...
Surely you knew I was joking...

You were. Most aren't...

Bailey was invited to spring training and had an outside shot at making the club. But he did not pitch well and was sent to minor league camp early.

 

Ugh!!!

Simpson.....?:D

 

I hope the kid can help out. The Reds need a shot in the arm.

Let's see, Reds are 10.5 games out,,,in the worst division in baseball. I understand if there is an outside shot at being "the best of the worst" but since they're currently the "worst of the worst", why not give the kid a shot with the big club? I don't think anyone is suggesting that he won't get beat around. I hope he has success, and frankly, if he doesn't,,,,so what? He can't be much worse than what we have. Sounds to me like the "soothsayers" are posting in advance of him doing poorly so that they may say "I told you so". Sounds very familiar.

Let's see, Reds are 10.5 games out,,,in the worst division in baseball. I understand if there is an outside shot at being "the best of the worst" but since they're currently the "worst of the worst", why not give the kid a shot with the big club? I don't think anyone is suggesting that he won't get beat around. I hope he has success, and frankly, if he doesn't,,,,so what? He can't be much worse than what we have. Sounds to me like the "soothsayers" are posting in advance of him doing poorly so that they may say "I told you so". Sounds very familiar.

 

Very well said SD. :thumb:

Let's see, Reds are 10.5 games out,,,in the worst division in baseball. I understand if there is an outside shot at being "the best of the worst" but since they're currently the "worst of the worst", why not give the kid a shot with the big club? I don't think anyone is suggesting that he won't get beat around. I hope he has success, and frankly, if he doesn't,,,,so what? He can't be much worse than what we have. Sounds to me like the "soothsayers" are posting in advance of him doing poorly so that they may say "I told you so". Sounds very familiar.

 

You can't have any doubt if he truly is the 'future' of the organization. Personally, I'd have given him a few more 100+ pitch starts before I called him up. Making sure he can maintain his velocity. Doing damage to one's mental state as a 30+ year old washed up veteran is COMPLETELY different than doing damage to a 21(?) year old who is the 'future' of your organization.

 

It's much deeper than what most would consider success/failure...

Simpson.....?:D

 

.

 

Wayne?

Wayne?

 

Not sure. All I know is that one throws baseballs and the other eats a lot of donuts. :sssh:

Not sure. All I know is that one throws baseballs and the other eats a lot of donuts. :sssh:

 

Oops. I was in baseball young phenom pitcher mode and not cartoon character mode.

You can't have any doubt if he truly is the 'future' of the organization. Personally, I'd have given him a few more 100+ pitch starts before I called him up. Making sure he can maintain his velocity. Doing damage to one's mental state as a 30+ year old washed up veteran is COMPLETELY different than doing damage to a 21(?) year old who is the 'future' of your organization.

 

It's much deeper than what most would consider success/failure...

So, if he's not a sure thing, which I think we all agree he's not, what damage is his phyche going to suffer? Sure, we can document the few young phenoms who have gotten their brains beat in when they were called up and then never were heard from again. That's horrible logic IMO. Whose to say that those guys (or Homer for that matter) were ever going to pan out? What if you wait another 2 years and he can't hack it? Did we rush him as a 23 y.o.? That's hogwash, either he can handle it or not? I agree with you about the pitch count deal. Perhaps he can't go 8 innings. But what if he gives you 6 strong innings on 84 pitches, or throws the 7th and 8th out of the pen? Well, I suppose we'll soon find out.

So, if he's not a sure thing, which I think we all agree he's not, what damage is his phyche going to suffer? Sure, we can document the few young phenoms who have gotten their brains beat in when they were called up and then never were heard from again. That's horrible logic IMO. Whose to say that those guys (or Homer for that matter) were ever going to pan out? What if you wait another 2 years and he can't hack it? Did we rush him as a 23 y.o.? That's hogwash, either he can handle it or not? I agree with you about the pitch count deal. Perhaps he can't go 8 innings. But what if he gives you 6 strong innings on 84 pitches, or throws the 7th and 8th out of the pen? Well, I suppose we'll soon find out.

 

A few: I can guarantee there are a LOT more than a few...

 

If he gives the Reds 6 strong innings, they'll still lose...The bullpen is the only place for him, IMO...

 

Some people really underestimate the mental aspect of the game. There are a ton of guys that can throw 90+. There are very few that can mentally defeat a batter before he steps into the batters box. That separates the great ones from the good ones. If it takes him another year to develop that 'edge' so be it. In the grand scheme of things, do you want Bronson Arroyo or Roger Clemens in their prime?

A few: I can guarantee there are a LOT more than a few...

 

If he gives the Reds 6 strong innings, they'll still lose...The bullpen is the only place for him, IMO...

 

Some people really underestimate the mental aspect of the game. There are a ton of guys that can throw 90+. There are very few that can mentally defeat a batter before he steps into the batters box. That separates the great ones from the good ones. If it takes him another year to develop that 'edge' so be it. In the grand scheme of things, do you want Bronson Arroyo or Roger Clemens in their prime?

 

Is that a serious question? I mean I understand your point, but comparing possibly the best pitcher ever to Bronson is a bit much. It didn't matter how Clemens was handled when he was younger, he was born with that killer mentality that has made him what he is (it didn't hurt that he could really throw the ball either).

A few: I can guarantee there are a LOT more than a few...

 

If he gives the Reds 6 strong innings, they'll still lose...The bullpen is the only place for him, IMO...

 

Some people really underestimate the mental aspect of the game. There are a ton of guys that can throw 90+. There are very few that can mentally defeat a batter before he steps into the batters box. That separates the great ones from the good ones. If it takes him another year to develop that 'edge' so be it. In the grand scheme of things, do you want Bronson Arroyo or Roger Clemens in their prime?

And I'll argue that with regards to the bolded, some really overestimate it. And again, those "phenoms" gone bad because they couldn't hack it in the show more than likely wouldn't have hacked it with more "seasoning" IMO. I agree he needs to grow up but why not do it here with the big club? I'm not saying he's the savior, not remotely, but he's currently as good as or better than what we have. I agree we should put him in the pen.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.