The Savior is called up.......

Re: my position on the Super 2 that its an invalid reason to hold him back a few months.

I emailed Hal McCoy to make sure I was understanding it correctly that you have no way of knowing today and everything is a guess until 3 years down the road.

Response from Hal:

You are correct. No set date. It's a crap shoot. So why wait if he is ready and can help.

Hal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely agree with Doc (Paul Daugherty) on much, but I do on this take:

The buzz is that H. Bailey will get the start Saturday... as a fan (or a writer looking for a fresh angle on the same ol' Reds) I'd be all for it... if I'm ownership, I'd have to be outta my mind to bring him up now.

Saturday is June 9, very close to what is often the service-time cutoff for so-called "Super 2'' arbitration eligibles. That is, if Bailey is brought up and stays (Krivsky's sworn intent), he'll likely have enough time to be eligible for arb. after 2 full seasons, not the customary 3. If they waited until July 1, he likely would not.

What's the difference? Millions.

If the Reds were interested in saving the season, they should have promoted Bailey when Milton went on the DL, or after Lohse got bombed the 2nd or 3rd start in a row. Now, you have to feel it really doesnt matter.

If you've held off this long, what's another few weeks?

BTW, sending B. Livingston down is dumb. I don't care what the reason. Kid throws 6-plus shutout innings at Coors Field, you find a place for him in the big leagues. Is this staff so heavy with talent it can blithely send down a performance like that?

Management here consistently outthinks itself.

The buzz is that H. Bailey will get the start Saturday... as a fan (or a writer looking for a fresh angle on the same ol' Reds) I'd be all for it... if I'm ownership, I'd have to be outta my mind to bring him up now.

Saturday is June 9, very close to what is often the service-time cutoff for so-called "Super 2'' arbitration eligibles. That is, if Bailey is brought up and stays (Krivsky's sworn intent), he'll likely have enough time to be eligible for arb. after 2 full seasons, not the customary 3. If they waited until July 1, he likely would not.

If the Reds were interested in saving the season, they should have promoted Bailey when Milton went on the DL, or after Lohse got bombed the 2nd or 3rd start in a row. Now, you have to feel it really doesnt matter.

BTW, sending B. Livingston down is dumb. I don't care what the reason. Kid throws 6-plus shutout innings at Coors Field, you find a place for him in the big leagues. Is this staff so heavy with talent it can blithely send down a performance like that?

Well stated and I've yet to be impressed, with the current Management and Krivsky. I hope they get the ship righted but I believe a lot of the problems, are laid at their door.

Managers don't sign players, ownership does and a band-aid fix, is not going to close this open gash.

I read an MLB site yesterday that said the Super 2 cutoff for 2+ year players historically is 2 plus 128 to 140 days of service. By my calc, starting June 8th will give Homer about 115 to 120 days of service for this season.