Roger Clemens Returns to the Yankees

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK9 I believe he is wrong...it will have a NY on his cap.

What did the CrySox pay for their latest pitcher?

I have no problem with the fact that the Yankees grossly overpaid for Clemens. My problem is that he puts himself above the game, and could care less about winning. If they finish in dead last in the AL East, he's going to be just as happy as he will be if they win it all. If I'm the rest of the Yankees I don't want a guy like that on my team.

Supply and demand. What does this say to guys like Rich Harden, Ben Sheets, Cole Hamels of a Jake Peavy.. preserve your arms and you might make a fortune at the end of your career.

I don't like the Yankees either. But Steiny puts a lot of money into his investement. Other teams could do it but don't.

I would say that is far from the truth. Clemens did not preserve his arm during his career. He pitched a lot and didnt get hurt much. His workout regiment during the off season is what is making him a fortune now b/c he prepared himself that way to be in good shape later in life. Now he is reaping the benefits of being able to still throw well in his mid 40's.

I have no problem with the fact that the Yankees grossly overpaid for Clemens. My problem is that he puts himself above the game, and could care less about winning. If they finish in dead last in the AL East, he's going to be just as happy as he will be if they win it all. If I'm the rest of the Yankees I don't want a guy like that on my team.

I don't neccessarily agree with this. Imo he went to the Yankess because he wants to win another title. Had he "not cared" about winning another one he imo would have stayed in Houston and with his home town even closer.

I don't neccessarily agree with this. Imo he went to the Yankess because he wants to win another title. Had he "not cared" about winning another one he imo would have stayed in Houston and with his home town even closer.

If it was about winning a title he would have taken less and played for a better team in Boston...

A gross overstatement. NO TEAM has the resources that the Yanks have. Very few can even come within sniffing distance.

The Yanks may have more recources than most if not all but the others definately could do more if they wanted to, that is their choice.

If it was about winning a title he would have taken less and played for a better team in Boston...

Good point but when it came down to the two, both have good shots at winning another title and yes, the Yankees are more in need of pitching than the BoSox and therefore paid more. I also believe that the NY is where he wanted to be and playing again for Joe Torre was a factor. Clemens said in an interview with one of the espn guys (can't think of which one now) that if Joe Torre had not had still been manager that he definatley would not had went to the Yankees. He also stated how he loved his teammates with the Yanks and had had a few conversations with Jeter leading up to his decision. May not mean anything but I believe that he missed the "big stage" so to speak that he was in with the Yankees.

JMO

I used to like Roger Clemens, but these past few years, it seems like he's put himself above the game.

:thumb: I agree. He has also set the stage for future players to do the same as he has done. All pro sports have changed from a game to a business, but IMO the game has suffered and will continue to do so if these type of contracts become consistent year in and year out .(and it appears it has for Clemens).

The Rocket loves to win and is a great competitor but I think his decision is based solely on money. He may also have his son's future as a Yankee penciled in somewhere in his contract.

As others have stated, MLB needs a salary cap. The players, owners, commish and Union need to take a hard look at what the game used to be and where it is heading in the near future.

:thumb: I agree. He has also set the stage for future players to do the same as he has done. All pro sports have changed from a game to a business, but IMO the game has suffered and will continue to do so if these type of contracts become consistent year in and year out .(and it appears it has for Clemens).

The Rocket loves to win and is a great competitor but I think his decision is based solely on money. He may also have his son's future as a Yankee penciled in somewhere in his contract.

As others have stated, MLB needs a salary cap. The players, owners, commish and Union need to take a hard look at what the game used to be and where it is heading in the near future.

Here's his son's stats so far in the minors:

116 Games 386 At Bats 49 Runs 88 Hits 21 Doubles 1 Triple 8 Homeruns 47 Runs Batted In 45 Walks and 90 Strikeouts .228 Average. I don't think we'll be seeing him in the majors with the Yankees or anyone else very soon.

Here's his son's stats so far in the minors:

116 Games 386 At Bats 49 Runs 88 Hits 21 Doubles 1 Triple 8 Homeruns 47 Runs Batted In 45 Walks and 90 Strikeouts .228 Average. I don't think we'll be seeing him in the majors with the Yankees or anyone else very soon.

His name will get him there. He may not be there for a long period but he will get the chance somewhere simply because of his name and because the Rocket will have enough pull to make it happen.

Roger knew of the Yankee's pitching problems. His best friend is Andy Petite. He mentioned playing for Joe and with Jeter. He has a history with them. He is 44 years old and wasn't sure about coming back at all, so he saw a need and wanted to help.

Roger knew of the Yankee's pitching problems. His best friend is Andy Petite. He mentioned playing for Joe and with Jeter. He has a history with them. He is 44 years old and wasn't sure about coming back at all, so he saw a need and wanted to help.

:thumb: He said that he had been in contact with A. Pettite, D. Jeter,. J. Posada by telephone a lot before the decision and also said that if Joe Torre had not still been the manager that he would not have signed with the Yankees.

Roger was quoted today in the Post saying that one of the reasons he asks to be excused from some of the road trips is so that he can go to some of the minor league affiliates and work with the youngsters. He says he's to the point now where he likes teaching the game more than playing it.

Interesting.