Seperate Public/Private Class?

Heartbreaker

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would everyone react if the KHSAA finally gave in to the majority of the schools? What would the resulting issues do to the schools near you?

Since the Kentucky Board of Education would have to approve such an item, and has said publicly they will not do so, the operative question is when will some of those who fail to understand the "chain of command (which is schools, followed by Board, followed by State Board followed by legislature)" wake up and move on the more workable solutions. Frankly, if the schools are all abiding by the rules (since they refuse to report each other in writing as is required) and the conversation still exists that there are major differences caused within the group, then don't the very rules themselves seem to be the culprit?

Please answer the specific question. If you need to address another concern, start your own thread. Not to sound smart, but I want to get everyones input on how this would affect their respective school.

I think Kissinger was answering your question somewhat by pointing out it's not the KHSAA's right to make such a decision and they will not have the final say. Now if you meant to ask the question of what would happen if the public private split was finally approved by the State Board of Education, was allowed to occur by the legislature and was approved by the court system :banana: , then I think you would see a lot of the private schools leave the KHSAA and start their own association. I think that you would see a lot of the major public schools in the urban areas and some of the public schools in the rural areas with strong athletic programs (both independent and otherwise) also leave and join the private schools new association. When its over and done, I think the teams left in the KHSAA would be those that could not or would not compete with the better athletic programs, and it would be almost an intermural type atmosphere. Parents and students would flock from the schools still in the KHSAA to the schools in the new association that placed a much greater emphasis on athletics, which would hurt those school remaining in the KHSAA much more than the occasional loss of a student that occurs currently. The KHSAA would get killed financially and those schools remaining in the KHSAA would have to pay more, and I mean a lot more, to keep the KHSAA financially alive. I have no right to speak on behalf of Highlands, but my guess, knowing Dale and the administration at Highlands quite well, is that they would leave the KHSAA and join the new association.

And for what its worth, the KHSAA does not belong to the schools. It belongs to the Kentucky Department of Education. Its is the agent of the KDE. I think there are a lot of supers in this state that erroneously believe that they "own" the KHSAA, much like they erroneously believe that they "own" the kids that live in the school district. The KHSAA does not belong to the schools or the supers; not in any way, shape or form, so it is irrelevant what the majority of them want. While the KHSAA may solicit the supers input on issues, the KHSAA is not in any beholden to what the supers want.

Yes I am saying that the split did occur, and then after all the smoke settled what would your respective school do and how do you think that they would adjust? Also leatherneck I dont think you have the mind reading resources to speak for other schools across the state. I have your vote for Highlands( that is correct, right, you are a Highlands supporter?) that the Bluebirds would take their ball and go home, correct?

What is everyones elses thoughts on their respective schools, and only the school that you support.

I would hope that my school would be at the forefront of a movement to start a new organisation that would offer two improvements over the KHSAA that is envisioned by those that have backed the unfair, bigoted, anti-competitive, anti kids proposals that the "majority" keeps pushing.

First the new organisation would be in favor of strict enforcement of the rules, as advocated by the Kentucky Catholic conference.

Second, they would support athletics as the last bastion of fair competion, where performance is decided on the field. They would not support a system where "fair" is decided by equality of results.

Yes I am saying that the split did occur, and then after all the smoke settled what would your respective school do and how do you think that they would adjust? Also leatherneck I dont think you have the mind reading resources to speak for other schools across the state. I have your vote for Highlands( that is correct, right, you are a Highlands supporter?) that the Bluebirds would take their ball and go home, correct?

What is everyones elses thoughts on their respective schools, and only the school that you support.

Ah, nothing like a person with an agenda to try to make others uncomfortable with their opinions. LN gave you a very precise answer to your question. YOU asked everyone to look into their crystal ball (since obviously NO ONE on this site officially speaks for their respective school) then you chastise him for doing so. The truth is you obviously want to hear something different than what you got. The REAL truth is the LN has hit the nail on the head and his vision of the future is shared with a good number of those I personally know in the school administration and athletics business. Your "majority" are precisely those schools which choose to litigate rather than to find an acceptable means to compete with the alleged rules violators (and kissinger addressed that point very well I might add). Ask a question, but don't take pot shots when you get answers you don't like.

Of course I can read minds, what makes you think I can't? LOL.

If you noticed, I said "I think" that a lot of schools would leave. Of course I don't know that for certain. Nonetheless, I do think a lot of schools would leave the KHSAA if the public private split was to occur.

And yes I am a Highlands fan, but no I don't think we'd take our football and go home, rather we'd take our football and go play in another league; a league that I believe wouldn't punish schools that are interested in improving to be able to compete with the best, as opposed to a league that is more interested in tearing the best teams down so those not interested in improving will be able to compete.

You may not agree with that, but I'm quite comfortable with my position on this issue.

And bulldog 77, you are alright:ylsuper:

I'm going to assume that the KHSSAA is a member of the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). My understanding is that the NFHS will only sanction and provide access to insurance 1 governing body, i.e. KHSSAA, TSSAA. I do believe that as a member you also agree to play only teams that are also members of the NFHS.

I believe that could impact a totally separate organization.

I'm going to assume that the KHSSAA is a member of the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). My understanding is that the NFHS will only sanction and provide access to insurance 1 governing body, i.e. KHSSAA, TSSAA. I do believe that as a member you also agree to play only teams that are also members of the NFHS.

I believe that could impact a totally separate organization.

You are right about only being able to play teams that are members of the NFHS. You are wrong about the insurance. The insurance really has nothing to do with the NFHS. Each state handles the insurance issue separately. I'm sure that an insurance company would want to look closely at the rules and regs of its insured. I do not know if the NFHS will only recognize one organization or association from each state, but if so, I agree that it could have an effect on the decision of schools to pull out of the KHSAA.

Well..if I looked in a crystal ball my county would remain the same, the difference would be that some of the other schools in our region may retain more of their talented girls/boys that usually leave after Middle school and attend private schools in Louisville. It would probably raise the level of competition for our region.

This is JMO and what I wish would happen! Most other states have this..we seem to think it is the end of all!

I think Kissinger was answering your question somewhat by pointing out it's not the KHSAA's right to make such a decision and they will not have the final say. Now if you meant to ask the question of what would happen if the public private split was finally approved by the State Board of Education, was allowed to occur by the legislature and was approved by the court system :banana: , then I think you would see a lot of the private schools leave the KHSAA and start their own association. I think that you would see a lot of the major public schools in the urban areas and some of the public schools in the rural areas with strong athletic programs (both independent and otherwise) also leave and join the private schools new association. When its over and done, I think the teams left in the KHSAA would be those that could not or would not compete with the better athletic programs, and it would be almost an intermural type atmosphere. Parents and students would flock from the schools still in the KHSAA to the schools in the new association that placed a much greater emphasis on athletics, which would hurt those school remaining in the KHSAA much more than the occasional loss of a student that occurs currently. The KHSAA would get killed financially and those schools remaining in the KHSAA would have to pay more, and I mean a lot more, to keep the KHSAA financially alive. I have no right to speak on behalf of Highlands, but my guess, knowing Dale and the administration at Highlands quite well, is that they would leave the KHSAA and join the new association.

And for what its worth, the KHSAA does not belong to the schools. It belongs to the Kentucky Department of Education. Its is the agent of the KDE. I think there are a lot of supers in this state that erroneously believe that they "own" the KHSAA, much like they erroneously believe that they "own" the kids that live in the school district. The KHSAA does not belong to the schools or the supers; not in any way, shape or form, so it is irrelevant what the majority of them want. While the KHSAA may solicit the supers input on issues, the KHSAA is not in any beholden to what the supers want.

:thumb: :thumb:

Depends on what other bylaws stay or go.... It increases the motivation of the privates to recruit (the best players)....opens the floodgates so to speak. This would pose a significant threat to the level of play at the public schools, particularly those bound by districts that may not be favorable to basketball.

I am not condoning or justifying this (in fact I don't like it at all), just trying to answer the inquiry.

Well..if I looked in a crystal ball my county would remain the same, the difference would be that some of the other schools in our region may retain more of their talented girls/boys that usually leave after Middle school and attend private schools in Louisville. It would probably raise the level of competition for our region.

This is JMO and what I wish would happen! Most other states have this..we seem to think it is the end of all!

You truly believe that they would stay in town??? You take the privates out of the KHSAA and you may allow them to recruit openly, and that would enable them to grab more of your county's better athletes. Trust me, since St. X and Trinity will now have to look out of state for teams to play they will be playing more Cincinnati, Indianapolis, possibly Chicago teams. What kid wouldn't want to play against that type of competition as opposed to playing local Kentucky schools?