Seperate Public/Private Class?

Heartbreaker

Funny how over and over I here that open enrollment will make the counties equal. My county has a decent education history with what I believe is the ONLY school in the state with a Nobel Prize winner in science among their alum and open enrollment. Recently, we went to the sweet 16 basketball and had one of the best teams in the state.

Not a single kid has moved in from a surrounding county since then.

Seems like open enrollment IS NOT the cure or the self limitation as you put it. It might benefit the urban schools but I believe that is the end of it's benefits to public schools.

I have never said that it would make schools equal, in fact what I have said is that school will NEVER be equal, it just can't happen.

What I did say is that the chief complaint of the public school side is that private schools have no enrollment boundaries, that those boundaries are self imposed by the school systems and it's not proper to expect everyone to limit themselves in such a way.

If anything I believe that if schools state wides did adopt an open enrollment policy there would be little or no change and those on the public side would find some other windmill to attack.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also could have told them that the boys state champion has come from public schools teams for the last five years....and six of the last seven....and since 1990 only two private school have won it. So why the big difference, you explain that to them....

Girls is privates 7 to 3 in the past 10 years. Given the number of private schools vs public schools dont you think the number is high?

6 divisions in Football??? Is this KY or TX/FL? Championships are not meant to be won by everyone. The whole private/public is just nonsense. Play the game, do your best, and if you win great. The Board would rather change the rules than make people earn their championships. Society has gone soft with this idea that "everybody should win." These students SHOULD BE going to school for academics. We know people "recruit" at all levels, but it goes both ways - public and private. The athletic side of school is nothing more than a privilege for success in the classroom. Too many adults, parents and coaches alike, have lost sight of this fact. Now I have to choose a school for my daughters by junior high instead of high school.

Why not go back to the history of the KHSAA..... or at least back to the 60's! Why only 10 years?

Oh I know, the Privates are starting to catch up.... So as long as the Privates knew there place, and didn't win, they could play....but if they start to win.....well then.....

Listen, this isn't a private vs. public problem, it's a urban vs. rural one. The large city schools of Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, etc. are going to win those titles even when you kick out the privates schools. So then what will you do, or cry about.....

You are EXACTLY correct. First it's the privates, then it'll be the urbans, then the independents, where does this all stop? There will NEVER be equity in sports, it simply cannot happen. Classify all sports in a REASONABLE manner then strap on and go play. Crying foul every time something doesn't go your way accomplishes nothing but teach our athletes to complain.

Why not go back to the history of the KHSAA..... or at least back to the 60's! Why only 10 years?

Oh I know, the Privates are starting to catch up.... So as long as the Privates knew there place, and didn't win, they could play....but if they start to win.....well then.....

Listen, this isn't a private vs. public problem, it's a urban vs. rural one. The large city schools of Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, etc. are going to win those titles even when you kick out the privates schools. So then what will you do, or cry about.....

I am not crying, my team made the top 16 this year. As a matter of fact my team has made the sweet 16, 3 of the past 6 years and stands a good chance of repeating the next 3-4 years. You guys get so caught up in the fact that other people share a different point of veiw( and by the way, let me say nthis one more time slowly, I am against a split) that you lose all rationality. The facts are this, a huge majority of the delegates from each member school of the KHSAA is in favor of a split. Kentucky is the only state left not to seperate the two. You are crying because you are in a minority, not me. I can live with it either way. I think its a bigger accomplishment to make the Sweet 16 the way it is, as to say make it to the Sweet 16 All A, dont you? Im with you on it. BUT there is a huge majority that is not with us on it. The numbers will eventually win.

I have never said that it would make schools equal, in fact what I have said is that school will NEVER be equal, it just can't happen.

What I did say is that the chief complaint of the public school side is that private schools have no enrollment boundaries, that those boundaries are self imposed by the school systems and it's not proper to expect everyone to limit themselves in such a way.

If anything I believe that if schools state wides did adopt an open enrollment policy there would be little or no change and those on the public side would find some other windmill to attack.

Regarding the bolded, it only is if you are saying that it is the school's fault for not picking up the school and physically move it to an urban area in which people would drive to the school. In general, people by nature will drive to the city but won't drive to the country.

As I said, we have open enrollment and I think we have 2 students from K-12 grade that are using it. And that is because their parents worked for the school when they started school and now don't but want to continue in the school they started.

Natural geography also places limitations on what open enrollment can do.

Regarding the bolded, it only is if you are saying that it is the school's fault for not picking up the school and physically move it to an urban area in which people would drive to the school. In general, people by nature will drive to the city but won't drive to the country.

As I said, we have open enrollment and I think we have 2 students from K-12 grade that are using it. And that is because their parents worked for the school when they started school and now don't but want to continue in the school they started.

Natural geography also places limitations on what open enrollment can do.

I don't get the point. What you seem to be saying is that because you have open enrollment and no one uses it, it is unfair for others to have open enrollment. If I have misinterpreted you, please let me know. People vote with their feet and their wallets. If they value the product you offer, they will travel to get it and spend money to get it. If they don't, they won't. By the way, just because the marketplace does not value a product, that does not mean that the product doesn't have value. I am not commenting on the value of your school. It may be the second best school in the state. (Trinity will always be first in my evaluation).

I am not crying, my team made the top 16 this year. As a matter of fact my team has made the sweet 16, 3 of the past 6 years and stands a good chance of repeating the next 3-4 years. You guys get so caught up in the fact that other people share a different point of veiw( and by the way, let me say nthis one more time slowly, I am against a split) that you lose all rationality. The facts are this, a huge majority of the delegates from each member school of the KHSAA is in favor of a split. Kentucky is the only state left not to seperate the two. You are crying because you are in a minority, not me. I can live with it either way. I think its a bigger accomplishment to make the Sweet 16 the way it is, as to say make it to the Sweet 16 All A, dont you? Im with you on it. BUT there is a huge majority that is not with us on it. The numbers will eventually win.

Will you please cite the source of the bolded information? I know that Indiana does not separate public from private. Nor does Ohio. Wisconsin used to have separate championships but they combined them several years ago.