Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Seperate Public/Private Class?

Featured Replies

What's the saying?

 

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. :D

  • Replies 70
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You truly believe that they would stay in town??? You take the privates out of the KHSAA and you may allow them to recruit openly, and that would enable them to grab more of your county's better athletes. Trust me, since St. X and Trinity will now have to look out of state for teams to play they will be playing more Cincinnati, Indianapolis, possibly Chicago teams. What kid wouldn't want to play against that type of competition as opposed to playing local Kentucky schools?

And to me that would be fine. Let schools who are recruiting compete against schools that are recruiting. And let schools that stick to their neighborhoods as schools are designed to do compete against like schools.

 

That is simply what proponents of the split are saying. Let apples compete against apples and oranges compete against oranges. Both are great, tasty pieces of fruit that provide wonderful nutrients but they are not the same.

For the record, public schools in Jefferson County "recruit" students as well. They advertise their magnet and optional programs on TV, radio and busse, and hold open houses and an inclusive "open house" of representatives all the schools for kids and their parents to attend to get information. It's exactly the same recruiting that private schools do.

For the record, public schools in Jefferson County "recruit" students as well. They advertise their magnet and optional programs on TV, radio and busse, and hold open houses and an inclusive "open house" of representatives all the schools for kids and their parents to attend to get information. It's exactly the same recruiting that private schools do.

Amen Sister !!!

For the record, public schools in Jefferson County "recruit" students as well. They advertise their magnet and optional programs on TV, radio and busse, and hold open houses and an inclusive "open house" of representatives all the schools for kids and their parents to attend to get information. It's exactly the same recruiting that private schools do.

Those are designed for all kids not just athletes. No different than seeing Desales or St.X signs on billboards across Louisville promoting their programs.

For the record, public schools in Jefferson County "recruit" students as well. They advertise their magnet and optional programs on TV, radio and busse, and hold open houses and an inclusive "open house" of representatives all the schools for kids and their parents to attend to get information. It's exactly the same recruiting that private schools do.

And for the record my post did not mention private or public and my view had privates and open enrollment schools lumped together.

Those are designed for all kids not just athletes. No different than seeing Desales or St.X signs on billboards across Louisville promoting their programs.

 

I never said differently. I was just pointing out that public schools have the ability to recruit students as well, and that their practices are the same as private schools.:thumb:

 

Neither target athletes, chess players, debate team participants or any other special-intrest category.

And for the record my post did not mention private or public and my view had privates and open enrollment schools lumped together.

 

I know you understand, and knew what you meant. But it could have been misunderstood by some, so I was compelled (being the argumentative person that I am :D) to further enlighten the unenlightened.

I know you understand, and knew what you meant. But it could have been misunderstood by some, so I was compelled (being the argumentative person that I am :D) to further enlighten the unenlightened.

I knew we both knew where the other was coming from and just covering my own bum if someone else who didn't know my view thought I was picking on the privates.

How would everyone react if the KHSAA finally gave in to the majority of the schools? What would the resulting issues do to the schools near you?

 

The major resulting issue after the public vs. private split would be the urban vs. rural split.

 

There is no way that a poor rural school can compete with a rich urban school who can recruit and has all those resources at their disposal. So we will then have private champions, urban champions, rural champions, and of course we would need 6+ classes in each of the rural and urban leagues because you have big rurals and little rurals, west urbans and east urbans, and on and on and on.

:rolleyes:

The major resulting issue after the public vs. private split would be the urban vs. rural split.

 

There is no way that a poor rural school can compete with a rich urban school who can recruit and has all those resources at their disposal. So we will then have private champions, urban champions, rural champions, and of course we would need 6+ classes in each of the rural and urban leagues because you have big rurals and little rurals, west urbans and east urbans, and on and on and on.

:rolleyes:

Exact reason why I feel the need is between open enrollment and closed enrollment schools. Two divisions based on that with two classes based on student population size. 4 classes total.

... so I was compelled (being the argumentative person that I am :D) to further enlighten the unenlightened.
It's a tough job here sometimes. ;)

LBBC with all due respect your positions are well known but they are only your positions. While I wish you were one of the people who actually had a say in this lunacy, because you do seem to have the best interest of students at heart, you're not. Unfortunately most of those that do have a say are very firmly entrenched in the public vs. private mentality and as I have said numerous times I believe their motives are less about what is good for students statewide vs. what they can do to protect what they see as their own little feifdom and as such they must and will be fought every step of the way.

Unfortunately most of those that do have a say are very firmly entrenched in the public vs. private mentality and as I have said numerous times I believe their motives are less about what is good for students statewide vs. what they can do to protect what they see as their own little feifdom and as such they must and will be fought every step of the way.

 

Quite true apparently.

 

Prop 2 will hurt urban schools or rather hurt students in both private and public. The feeder concept is garbage. I grew up in Louisville and now live in Lexington area. I can say that for many families in both areas the plan from day one is to have their children go to a private school through middle school and then go to public HS. And this has nothing to do with athletics. When I grew up it was a combination of expenses and logistics. Trinity and X, etc. cost a lot more than the Catholic grade school. And you have to provide to transportation that you probably did not have to in grade school. Conversely, for many families that plan is to go to public school through middle school and then switch to the private schools in HS since some consider them to be better as a 'college prep school'.

 

So for the families that have plans as described above the concept of 'feeder' schools definitions as in Prop 2 makes no sense. And yet their kids will be banned from playing ANY KHSAA sport and ANY level during their freshmen year. A year when a student most needs extracurricular activities the most to adapt to there new setting.

LBBC with all due respect your positions are well known but they are only your positions. While I wish you were one of the people who actually had a say in this lunacy, because you do seem to have the best interest of students at heart, you're not. Unfortunately most of those that do have a say are very firmly entrenched in the public vs. private mentality and as I have said numerous times I believe their motives are less about what is good for students statewide vs. what they can do to protect what they see as their own little feifdom and as such they must and will be fought every step of the way.

I can only speak on the KHSAA personnel that I personally know and that is not true of those.

 

I can't speak for others involved in this debate that I do not know.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.