Bonds Goes Deep

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you and I've posted several times, regarding Bonds on many threads.

I think as fans, we often get caught up in their personalities, off the playing field issues and want them to be likeable. Bonds is a perfect example, of not the guy who gets voted most popular, with teammates or media but he's also a guy, you don't want to face. The respect as a hitter, is obvious in his intentional walks and how many teams, won't let him beat them over the years.

I have an opinion, on his enhancements and I've yet to hear a good, solid argument or confirmation, on how they can help you hit a ball better. Can additional strength be added, certainly but can they still help a batter, make better contact.

Like him or not, he's consistently hit well over his career and well before, any hints or indication, of taking enhancements....Would I pay, to watch Bonds play....Yes.

Yes I agree Bonds has loads of skill just look at him in his early days. He just has a horrible personality and that along with the steriod issue isn't good for him. But he is a very talented ballplayer.

I'm not a Bonds fan. He's a jerk off the playing field. But, he's one heck of a ballplayer on the field. I have my doubts about his usage of "enhancements", still, that doesn't help you to see the ball or have the fundamental mechanics needed to hit the ball the distance. If he breaks the record, hopefully I'm watching history as it happens.

:dancingpa :dancingpa

Come on.....I know there are other Bonds fans on here but me....

You got one here.

No matter how thick and muscular you are it still takes amazing hand eye coordination to be able to hit an object as small as a baseball with a bat that solid.

I hope he shatters the record.

You got one here.

No matter how thick and muscular you are it still takes amazing hand eye coordination to be able to hit an object as small as a baseball with a bat that solid.

I hope he shatters the record.

You know, this is one of the lamest comebacks — not picking on you in particular; you're just the most recent one to use it — to justify Bonds' assault on the record. I doubt anyone in the US would argue steroids helped him make contact with the ball. He's always been able to do that.

What steroids does for him and others is it turns what would be a routine fly ball of about 325 feet into a 410-foot homer. And I've never once seen a decent comeback for that conveniently overlooked fact.

What steroids does for him and others is it turns what would be a routine fly ball of about 325 feet into a 410-foot homer. And I've never once seen a decent comeback for that conveniently overlooked fact.

The problem is that fails to take all of the steroid era pitchers in to account. Juice took a lot of 90 mph "heaters" up to the 100 mph range. The game spun out of control on both sides, but Bonds was left as the scapegoat... :D

You know, this is one of the lamest comebacks — not picking on you in particular; you're just the most recent one to use it — to justify Bonds' assault on the record. I doubt anyone in the US would argue steroids helped him make contact with the ball. He's always been able to do that.

Exactly.

The other argument I hate is "that he is entertaining." No. Entertaining is someone who has such incredible skill you have no choice but to admire their abilities. Not some old, 'roided out guy that would otherwise be fading into history popping balls out of the park.

I think as fans, we often get caught up in their personalities, off the playing field issues and want them to be likeable. Bonds is a perfect example, of not the guy who gets voted most popular, with teammates or media but he's also a guy, you don't want to face. The respect as a hitter, is obvious in his intentional walks and how many teams, won't let him beat them over the years.

I have an opinion, on his enhancements and I've yet to hear a good, solid argument or confirmation, on how they can help you hit a ball better. Can additional strength be added, certainly but can they still help a batter, make better contact.

Like him or not, he's consistently hit well over his career and well before, any hints or indication, of taking enhancements....Would I pay, to watch Bonds play....Yes.

Great post, I definitely agree with you!

The problem is that fails to take all of the steroid era pitchers in to account. Juice took a lot of 90 mph "heaters" up to the 100 mph range. The game spun out of control on both sides, but Bonds was left as the scapegoat... :D

Oh, I have my suspicions (man, that word really looks strange in print!) about several pitchers.

Strike, I agree that performance enhancing drugs can not make you hit the ball but it does make you stronger for a while before it breaks you down. Bonds was a good contact hitter before and had average power but it doesn't add up that he'd never hit over 49 homeruns before cracking 73 in 2001. Then he went back down and has yet to crack 50 again. He may not be taking steroids now but it is all but certain that he has, probably along with others, but he does not deserve to break this record and I know it will eventually be broken but how about a guy that hasn't cheated.