Bellevue Facilities

It has been reported that Bellevue's AD announced a new field surface, a new track, air conditioned gym, and a new floor all being done in the next 12 months. This is awesome if it is true. The football field is supposed to be Bermuda.

I heard it is all through grants. Any knowledge out there????:banana:

Its about time is all I can say. That football field is uneven and the gymnasium is so hot. The canary Yellow paint is awful and needs to be toned down also. Its a nice athletic facility with potential but needs a facelift. I love the football stands though, one of the oldest in the State. Dayton's are very similar.

It has been reported that Bellevue's AD announced a new field surface, a new track, air conditioned gym, and a new floor all being done in the next 12 months. This is awesome if it is true. The football field is supposed to be Bermuda.

I heard it is all through grants. Any knowledge out there????:banana:

Tell your AD or whoever to check w/people who know all about Bermuda before they waste alot of money. I have been told by good sources, UK grounds keeper, that Bermuda will not do good this far north. Just a suggestion!

I know they did research and Bermuda does grow as long as it is transplanted in sprigs. Check about 5 fields in NK and several in Cincinnati. The UK groundskeeper doesn't obviously know everything. Bermuda thrives in this area once it takes hold.

Tell your AD or whoever to check w/people who know all about Bermuda before they waste alot of money. I have been told by good sources, UK grounds keeper, that Bermuda will not do good this far north. Just a suggestion!

Yet another good post 3pointer. Bermuda is a bad idea, no debate about it.

Bermuda can "make it" in N. Ky, it just takes a greater amount of care than farther down south. As soon as the first frost hits, it quits growing. Once that happens, it has a tendency to come up in chunks. From what I understand, most Bermuda fields up here will be overseeded in rye in the late summer to allow some grass to fill in the spots where the chunks get torn out. To have a good quality Bermuda field, it requires very heavy maintenance in the hot summer, when it grows the best. The really stimulate the lateral roots (which is important in minimizing it being torn out in chunks), you should water it almost daily and cut it almost three times a week in the summer. Again, Bermuda is "do-able", but it takes TLC to really maintain a good playing surface. And I would not discount the UK professor. If he's the guy I'm thinking about, he's the guru of Bermuda. When Highlands had Bermuda, he was routinely consulted. There's a guy out of Harrison County, Doug Vescio, who really knows a lot about Bermuda also.

Bellevue has a consultant that grows Bermuda as far north as Columbus on soccer fields, golf courses, and other public facilities. I made it a point to ask the AD about it when I talked with him this morning about the softball field. He agrees with you leatherneck and they are going to train the maintenance staff and others on the care of this surface.

Bermuda can "make it" in N. Ky, it just takes a greater amount of care than farther down south. As soon as the first frost hits, it quits growing. Once that happens, it has a tendency to come up in chunks. From what I understand, most Bermuda fields up here will be overseeded in rye in the late summer to allow some grass to fill in the spots where the chunks get torn out. To have a good quality Bermuda field, it requires very heavy maintenance in the hot summer, when it grows the best. The really stimulate the lateral roots (which is important in minimizing it being torn out in chunks), you should water it almost daily and cut it almost three times a week in the summer. Again, Bermuda is "do-able", but it takes TLC to really maintain a good playing surface. And I would not discount the UK professor. If he's the guy I'm thinking about, he's the guru of Bermuda. When Highlands had Bermuda, he was routinely consulted. There's a guy out of Harrison County, Doug Vescio, who really knows a lot about Bermuda also.

LN once again I am very impressed with your knowledge. Not only are you the Ambassador of Highlands Football but a guru on lawncare. What are your consulting fees? My yard needs a little TLC.

Seriously, Bermuda is very nice with proper care. My question is how will they keep the public off the field. Numerous times I drive by on the expressway and see kids playing tackle football in the offseason. It has public access with the track and tennis courts. Should be intresting to see how they police it.

LN once again I am very impressed with your knowledge. Not only are you the Ambassador of Highlands Football but a guru on lawncare. What are your consulting fees? My yard needs a little TLC.

Seriously, Bermuda is very nice with proper care. My question is how will they keep the public off the field. Numerous times I drive by on the expressway and see kids playing tackle football in the offseason. It has public access with the track and tennis courts. Should be intresting to see how they police it.

I think that's the main reason for getting it, as well as the youth league using it.

You're right, the school district is going to spend that kind of money without investigating thoroughly. Give me a break. Bermuda does grow here, check Lloyd, Holmes, etc. and is a wise investment in terms of playing surface. Yes, it does require serious maintenance but it is worth every minute of work.